Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A Helping Hand to Dump Big Tech Censorship and Privacy Invasion

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
I've noticed little snippets all over the bored of people recommending ways to get away from "Big Tech," whether it is politically motivated based on their deplatforming and censoring of information, or simply based on privacy concerns. Red man is here to help. Here are some alternatives to shithead companies I personally hate. These opinions are my own but perhaps some will find it helpful.

Internet Browser:

Chrome owns the space. Chrome is Google. Google is terrible on both privacy and fairness.

Try Firefox instead. Much more secure, and not trying to be Obama's best friend. Or, if you want to be even more daring, try Brave. I have been doing a little research based on a recommendation, and think I will be trying it out myself soon. Looks to be SUPER secure and even provides a way to transfer crypto.

Search Engine:

Google owns the space. Fuck off Google. The sell everything about you for Ad dollars then use the money to attack things you probably believe in.

Try DuckDuckGo. Simply awesome, and not run by a cabal of leftist pricks.

Video Content:

YouTube owns the space. Youtube are basically modern day brownshirts. Fuck them in the ass.

Try Rumble instead. These are the guys who offered to save Rogan if Spotify went soft.

Messenger Apps:

WhatsApp owns the space. At one point WA was great, then FaceBook bought it. Now it's privacy is dubious at best.

Try Signal instead. Created by the original founder of WA as an attempt to right the wrong of getting into bed with FagBook. Everyone is migrating to Signal now. WA is for fags.

Social Network:

FagBook owns the space, and they are horrible by any metric. They would sell their own mother if they could, and their "fact checkers" are the functional equivalent of having the SS tell you facts about Jews.

Try MeWe instead, the next-gen social network with no ads, no targeting, and no newsfeed manipulation. Full disclosure I have NOT tried them, because I am a hard target and think these social networks are for retards, but I have heard good things about this one.

Micro-blogging:

Twatter owns the space. In a stunning development, Twatter became the only thing in the universe worse than FagBook. Nobody wants to use Twatter except Antifa.

Try GETTR or Gab instead. Really enough said here. Either of these options are LIGHTYEARS better than Twatter. Twatter is truly an enemy of the people.

Crowdfunding:

GoFundMe owns the space. They help raise money for BLM, but tried to steal the money for the Freedom Truckers until various Attorney Generals threatened to sue them into oblivion. I'll let you draw your own inferences with those facts.

Try GiveSendGo instead. They believe in freedom of association. End.

E-mail:

Space owned by a who's who of turds - Outlook, Yahoo and Gmail (Google). They all hate freedom and hate you unless you like giving Biden daily reach arounds.

Try ProtonMail instead. ProtonMail is also the world’s largest secure email service, developed by CERN and MIT scientists, and protected by Swiss privacy law. I personally use ProtonMail and it is legit as fook. Wouldn't use anything else.

Wrap:up:

Feel free to add to this list in the thread. If any really good stuff emerges I will try to add it over time. I'll keep this pinned for quite awhile if people seem interested. Stalin does not like crowded pins so it may not stick around forever, but I think this is a super helpful resource for people who value intellectual freedom and curiosity, and privacy. I should also add these solutions above are imperfect, but in my opinion are worlds better than their alternatives.

Comments

• SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've worked very closely with many Apple SDEs over the years. More than one have told me offhand that there are keyloggers built into Chrome. That was enough for me to never use it again. Firefox isn't perfect, but is definitely the way to go.

Regarding the list I'd add use of a VPN, Pihole, and a home NAS, though these will require a bit more technical know-how than what @Swaye suggested

If anyone is interested, I'm happy to help folks in setting any of these up

• thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I don’t use FB or messenger

Safari for browser.

Twitter to correct people’s spelling and grammar.

Guilty of using Google for my SE, Outlook for company email and Gmail for personal use.

I’ll take GiveSendGo a try.

BTW I hate VenMo with a passion. Maybe cash app works. IDK
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    Founders Club
    edited February 2022
    thechatch said:

Safari for browser.

Guilty of using Google for my SE, Outlook for company email and Gmail for personal use.

I personally use Zelle, but only because a guy I trust in the industry says the privacy aspects are better with Zelle. I cannot confirm that at all, but Venmo just sucks, so Zelle it is.
    Founders Club
    edited February 2022
    Sources said:

I've worked very closely with many Apple SDEs over the years. More than one have told me offhand that there are keyloggers built into Chrome. That was enough for me to never use it again. Firefox isn't perfect, but is definitely the way to go.

Regarding the list I'd add use of a VPN, Pihole, and a home NAS, though these will require a bit more technical know-how than what @Swaye suggested

I perhaps should have mentioned having a good VPN. That is basically a requirement now. Lots to choose from and I don't have a recommendation, other than to get a VPN and encrypt everything you do online.
    Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

It really is shocking when you run some searches through Google and then run the exact same search through DuckDuckgo. Google is clearly engaging in suppression and censorship of themes and topics they don't like.

Oh I did all kinds of testing between the two and it is unequivocal, Google is a leftist cabal guiding you to their preferred way of thinking.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

SFGbob said:

It really is shocking when you run some searches through Google and then run the exact same search through DuckDuckgo. Google is clearly engaging in suppression and censorship of themes and topics they don't like.

Oh I did all kinds of testing between the two and it is unequivocal, Google is a leftist cabal guiding you to their preferred way of thinking.
    Early on I thought that people making this claim were exaggerating and being a little tin-foil hat like, it's absolutely true. There's no way it's just a coincidence.
    Swaye said:

thechatch said:

Safari for browser.

I personally use Zelle, but only because a guy I trust in the industry says the privacy aspects are better with Zelle. I cannot confirm that at all, but Venmo just sucks, so Zelle it is.
    I use Zelle for business transactions
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

Swaye said:

thechatch said:

Safari for browser.

What is the transaction limit on Zelle?

thechatch said:

Swaye said:

thechatch said:

Safari for browser.

What is the transaction limit on Zelle?
    IDK I only pay per diem to ICs
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Sources said:

I perhaps should have mentioned having a good VPN. That is basically a requirement now. Lots to choose from and I don't have a recommendation, other than to get a VPN and encrypt everything you do online.
    NordVPN was recommended by people I trust, and what I use.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    CNET does a good review of VPNs - among other things.

So when one tries to go dark on the web, how many of you have a mrs that refuses? Sorry I mean husband...

Use The Onion Router to stay anonymous (I did not have to use spell check on that) not sure if VPNs work on TOR
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    Founders Club

Too much work

True.

But becoming more and more necessary by the moment.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,696
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah I'm lazy which is what they like. I am more tech savvy than most my age but I also figure despite anything you do they can get in. That's my rationalization anyway

https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news/companies/fbi-apple-iphone-case-cracked/index.html

Law enforcement officials were able to break into the phone used by Syed Farook with the help of an unnamed third party. Government officials did not go into detail about what was found on the phone.

"The FBI has now successfully retrieved the data stored on the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple required by this Court Order," DOJ spokeswoman Melanie Newman said in a statement.

The DOJ is dropping the case against Apple, since it no longer needs the company's help.

We've gone from big tech refusing to help the FBI over a terror attack to big tech helping to freeze bank accounts of peaceful protestors and helping the BI identify people to arrest

Also note the FBI didn't need the help anyway
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I've noticed little snippets all over the bored of people recommending ways to get away from "Big Tech," whether it is politically motivated based on their deplatforming and censoring of information, or simply based on privacy concerns. Red man is here to help. Here are some alternatives to shithead companies I personally hate. These opinions are my own but perhaps some will find it helpful.

Internet Browser:

Chrome owns the space. Chrome is Google. Google is terrible on both privacy and fairness.

Try Firefox instead. Much more secure, and not trying to be Obama's best friend. Or, if you want to be even more daring, try Brave. I have been doing a little research based on a recommendation, and think I will be trying it out myself soon. Looks to be SUPER secure and even provides a way to transfer crypto.

Search Engine:

Google owns the space. Fuck off Google. The sell everything about you for Ad dollars then use the money to attack things you probably believe in.

Try DuckDuckGo. Simply awesome, and not run by a cabal of leftist pricks.

Video Content:

YouTube owns the space. Youtube are basically modern day brownshirts. Fuck them in the ass.

Try Rumble instead. These are the guys who offered to save Rogan if Spotify went soft.

Messenger Apps:

WhatsApp owns the space. At one point WA was great, then FaceBook bought it. Now it's privacy is dubious at best.

Try Signal instead. Created by the original founder of WA as an attempt to right the wrong of getting into bed with FagBook. Everyone is migrating to Signal now. WA is for fags.

Social Network:

FagBook owns the space, and they are horrible by any metric. They would sell their own mother if they could, and their "fact checkers" are the functional equivalent of having the SS tell you facts about Jews.

Try MeWe instead, the next-gen social network with no ads, no targeting, and no newsfeed manipulation. Full disclosure I have NOT tried them, because I am a hard target and think these social networks are for retards, but I have heard good things about this one.

Micro-blogging:

Twatter owns the space. In a stunning development, Twatter became the only thing in the universe worse than FagBook. Nobody wants to use Twatter except Antifa.

Try GETTR or Gab instead. Really enough said here. Either of these options are LIGHTYEARS better than Twatter. Twatter is truly an enemy of the people.

Crowdfunding:

GoFundMe owns the space. They help raise money for BLM, but tried to steal the money for the Freedom Truckers until various Attorney Generals threatened to sue them into oblivion. I'll let you draw your own inferences with those facts.

Try GiveSendGo instead. They believe in freedom of association. End.

E-mail:

Space owned by a who's who of turds - Outlook, Yahoo and Gmail (Google). They all hate freedom and hate you unless you like giving Biden daily reach arounds.

Try ProtonMail instead. ProtonMail is also the world’s largest secure email service, developed by CERN and MIT scientists, and protected by Swiss privacy law. I personally use ProtonMail and it is legit as fook. Wouldn't use anything else.

Wrap:up:

Feel free to add to this list in the thread. If any really good stuff emerges I will try to add it over time. I'll keep this pinned for quite awhile if people seem interested. Stalin does not like crowded pins so it may not stick around forever, but I think this is a super helpful resource for people who value intellectual freedom and curiosity, and privacy. I should also add these solutions above are imperfect, but in my opinion are worlds better than their alternatives.

Didn't Google buy DDG?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Doing any of those things literally makes you a white supremacist