Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Another name for list of underwhelming Huskees

Comments

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,147
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,210
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Doog legend extraordinaire Nathan Rhodes.

Also Donny Mateaki-anybody have that picture of him from high school? Looked like a 18 year old man child
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember showing people Mateaki's picture and being like this guy is going to be a monster and then he showed up and was a tweeter who wasn't really a DE or a DT and really just a Sione Potoa'e. The average fan had about 5% of the information on recruits we have now so the recruits got built up a lot more. Now all of of us weirdos on the TBS board would have been talking about how Mateaki wasn't a DT or a DE for years before he even enrolled.
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Doog legend extraordinaire Nathan Rhodes.

Also Donny Mateaki-anybody have that picture of him from high school? Looked like a 18 year old man child

Lifted next to him when there was only 1 weight room back in the day. One of the most shredded 275 lb guys I have ever seen.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,208
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Mateaki was a five star Cameron Elisara
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 148
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I always thought that Kim was truly sexually attracted to Donny by his effusive praise of Donny's physique. For awhile I actually believed he was going to become "an animal" on the D-line. (I hadn't figured out the DM bullshit yet).
  • Options
    KimsCopperPennyKimsCopperPenny Member Posts: 221
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    booker14 said:

I always thought that Kim was truly sexually attracted to Donny by his effusive praise of Donny's physique. For awhile I actually believed he was going to become "an animal" on the D-line. (I hadn't figured out the DM bullshit yet).

Sounds like you can’t handle the ups and downs
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Was going back through old classes before our recruiting pod and was shocked at how bad the 2001 class was. Has to be the worst when compared to expectations. It's basically Reggie Williams and a bunch of garbage. I remember the San Francisco JC trio of Taylor Barton, Kai Ellis and Tipoti was supposed to be this massive get and then all it ended up being was Ellis was like a 5.1/10 player. If I remember correctly, Ellis said he went to Washington because he fell in love with a girl he met on his recruiting trip to Seattle.

Ellis was far from the Jevon Kearse type DE he as hyped to be, but he wasn’t bad. The rest of the SF guys were bad.

Wasn’t 2001 considered a top 5-10 class. It’s the first one I remember getting that completely let us down. We really didn’t have any top 10ish classes again til the later Pete years and those have also let us down.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022

Mateaki was a five star Cameron Elisara

I’ll admit that if you saw Makeaki’s photo, it was hard not to be excited. I could get duped by a guy like that again. He looked like a fucking monster.

I also remember Mateaki having one big game against Oregon State. He had at least two sacks and that was supposed to be when the light turned on.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You can say the same thing about the 2001 class that you say about Pete's 4 stars

Rick recruited them and they got Gilby and Ty
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Was going back through old classes before our recruiting pod and was shocked at how bad the 2001 class was. Has to be the worst when compared to expectations. It's basically Reggie Williams and a bunch of garbage. I remember the San Francisco JC trio of Taylor Barton, Kai Ellis and Tipoti was supposed to be this massive get and then all it ended up being was Ellis was like a 5.1/10 player. If I remember correctly, Ellis said he went to Washington because he fell in love with a girl he met on his recruiting trip to Seattle.

Ellis was far from the Jevon Kearse type DE he as hyped to be, but he wasn’t bad. The rest of the SF guys were bad.

Wasn’t 2001 considered a top 5-10 class. It’s the first one I remember getting that completely let us down. We really didn’t have any top 10ish classes again til the later Pete years and those have also let us down.
    Yeah, Ellis was a solid player but don't think he was even a second-team All-Pac-10 guy. I thought that class was a Top 10 class but 247 now has it as like 17, which seems way lower. The local hype was big though. It definitely was the highest-rated class until the later Pete classes, which eerily did play out similar.

I really wish there had been a better system you could see for the James/Lambo classes. I feel like most were probably in that #10-20 range.

For some reason I can talk about recruiting failures forever, but can't string together more than two sentences talking about my actual job.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I laughed during the last pod when you guys talked about Jermaine Kelly. I, too, thought his film was insane (not a decades-long TBSer like some here, but it was easily in the top-three that I've seen).

To be fair to him, he was getting reps as a freshman, IIRC, and living up to the hype when he broke his leg. Never recovered fully from that. Just reading his Wikipedia page, he was drafted in the seventh, almost immediately placed on IR, was picked up by another team's practice squad, then almost immediately placed on IR again. I don't think his film was a mirage at all. I think he was more of a Deonte Cooper unlucky-with-injuries sad story, and I think I'd be just as excited today by another commit with film that freakishly good. I never learn.
  • Options
    steelheader2steelheader2 Member Posts: 367
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Marvin Kasim wr Chief Sealth. Hands so big he had “marfans syndrome”. Mike olson SW. 100m champ. Couldn’t catch a cold.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hilary Butler my all airport team Husky
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah, Ellis was a solid player but don't think he was even a second-team All-Pac-10 guy. I thought that class was a Top 10 class but 247 now has it as like 17, which seems way lower. The local hype was big though. It definitely was the highest-rated class until the later Pete classes, which eerily did play out similar.

I really wish there had been a better system you could see for the James/Lambo classes. I feel like most were probably in that #10-20 range.

For some reason I can talk about recruiting failures forever, but can't string together more than two sentences talking about my actual job.
    The Long Beach paper did a annual recruiting ranking pre Heckman

My first recall of hearing much about recruiting was when James said he wanted his coaches on site with stop watches because he was tired of fast guys that were slow

After the 88 and 89 classes recruiting became a much bigger deal but not really the kind of national rankings we have now

Sports Washington begat Dawgman which begat Dennis and the rest is history