Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Brock Huard statement about DeBoer

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,174
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
He predicts that recruiting will be the biggest shortcoming for DeBoer in the coming years. But that there are other things DeBoer can do to compensate.

This was told to me by an acquaintance of mine and I didn't hear the actual interview. But it doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement.

Comments

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    It’s going to be his staff that will sink recruiting
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

It’s going to be his staff that will sink recruiting

It’s going to be Karen Ramming, the incompetent NIL strategy by UW and prohibition of boosters doing what everyone else is doing by the UW administration to ensure things are done the right way that will sink recruiting.
    That too
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Opinions on coaches change all the time. It will be chinteresting
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,029
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    99.9% of coaching hires suck until they dont.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I have a long history of always hating the corches and always blaming everything on them, but honest to fuck the entire paradigm of recruiting has changed. It is not as easy as saying "sell them" and "winners win" now. That isn't an excuse. It's reality. You absolutely MUST have an AD that encourages a robust and competitive NIL program, or you can have the best recruiters ever and you are never going to be top of conference. Now you have to be great recruiters AND have a well oiled payoff machine via NIL. I fear we are never going to know how good Boner and his corches are because he is never going to be backed by a strong pay to play NIL program. So, back of the bus while Ramming and Cohen trade recipes for bar cookies.

TL;DR: Boner is a one armed man in a paperhanging contest without NIL.

I mostly agree but I don’t think NIL is gonna change much of anything. The schools down South will still rule.

That said, our AD sucks and does not do everything they can to help us win. If DeBoer is good he will win the PAC 12 in the next 3-4 years. I might give him some slight leeway next year, but with the portal, he should win. The players he needs to win with are already on the team.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Swaye said:

I have a long history of always hating the corches and always blaming everything on them, but honest to fuck the entire paradigm of recruiting has changed. It is not as easy as saying "sell them" and "winners win" now. That isn't an excuse. It's reality. You absolutely MUST have an AD that encourages a robust and competitive NIL program, or you can have the best recruiters ever and you are never going to be top of conference. Now you have to be great recruiters AND have a well oiled payoff machine via NIL. I fear we are never going to know how good Boner and his corches are because he is never going to be backed by a strong pay to play NIL program. So, back of the bus while Ramming and Cohen trade recipes for bar cookies.

I mostly agree but I don’t think NIL is gonna change much of anything. The schools down South will still rule.

That said, our AD sucks and does not do everything they can to help us win. If DeBoer is good he will win the PAC 12 in the next 3-4 years. I might give him some slight leeway next year, but with the portal, he should win. The players he needs to win with are already on the team.
    Don James never had to deal with the NIL, a strong USC, an Oregon club with a NC caliber coach, a AZ team that has the best recruiting class in the conference, or a WSU team celebrating a historical season.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    We’ll know everything we need to know about DeBoer as a recruiter with this 2023 class

If you can’t get to that Top 25 range with your first full class it’s hard to expect you ever will

On field performance follows player acquisition
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,142

Even Ty and Sark have had top 25 classes at UW. Pick the right players. Develop them. Profit.

DeBoer can pick the right players but getting them to UW might be something else
    I think he can get them to UW, but picking the right players might be something else.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    Swaye's Wigwam
    KDB having an in home with Vega right before he committed to Penn State is a big red flag. A coach who has "it" when it comes to recruiting closes that deal.

So we'll see. I anticipate a mid-20s recruiting class in '23, which anyone with a pulse should be able to do at UW. Any higher than that would be a pleasant surprise based on what we've seen so far.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I suspect UW will have a top 25 class for 2023 but it will be about 30-35 in terms of average stars since it will be a full 25.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Swaye said:

A week or two ago, somebody here finally found the decade+ old "Meet the Bagman" Grantland article and posted a link. A 5* QB or DE has been getting decently high six-figures for a looooooong time. My anal-Isis of NIL is and has been that it changes very little at the pointy end of dirty recruiting: The schools that are excelling in the NIL era are also the schools that excelled before, as they had a well-oiled machine already in place. The only thing that changed is that a lot of it is now a tax write-off and can be made to appear legal.

So SEC and a few choice other schools, with their network of bagmen and/or billionaire beneficiaries, pretty much walked into NIL ready to go. What has seemingly changed under NIL is that other schools now have a quicker and more direct path to the second tier if they choose to take it. UW seems to have chosen a quasi-status-quo approach of just selling the opportunity and location and development and education, etc. That was a good second tier recruiting strategy pre-NIL, but it's third tier at best now, when clearly even a school like Arizona is throwing around cash.

Long story short, I think the mistake people keep making around here is that now it's no longer about "sales." I've been beating the drum forever that--at the pointy end, at least--it never was. It's about money and, to a lesser extent, winning. Always has been. Thinking that UW could have prevented Ohio State from taking their lunch money if they just had better salesmen on staff was as naive as believing that Jedd fucking Fisch just went to a sales seminar or something and suddenly learned how to reel 'em in to a one-win team.

If those guys that the feds caught facilitating six figure payments from a shoe company to basketball recruits are doing it then anyone can do it.

I know it’s a basketball school, but that’s kind of the point. No one really got in trouble after Louisville and some recruits got fucked, Sean Miller was on his way out anyway. Just another example of how you can do whatever the hell you want and this is enforcement now:

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Who wants to start a change.org petition to request that Seattle's own, Bill Gates, starts giving a shit about Husky Football?