Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hardcore Husky Podcast: Penix Envy

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Derek Johnson, JoeEDangerously and WoolleyDoog size up Indiana transfer Michael Penix, Jr., talk about favorite former Huskies in the NFL, and give shouts to Mike Damone and Sonny Shackelford.

https://anchor.fm/hardcorehusky/episodes/Penix-Envy-e1daqvk

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    RayEppsDawgRayEppsDawg Member Posts: 9
    5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    I didn’t get a shout out
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,146
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I didn’t get a shout out

Fuck!
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Thanks for the pod, pods
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    @Tequilla the 8 min mark is for you lol
  • Options
    TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 465
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice pod. But I’m gonna start demanding royalties for every reference to the murderer of vacationing families.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Nice pod. But I’m gonna start demanding royalties for every reference to the murderer of vacationing families.

I keep gong back to that well
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The ducks ran up the middle to beat Gaines in OT in 2018 but I don't know if he was at fault or what specifically happened on that. One of our other DT's got the targeting penalty on Herbert earlier as well.

Fuck Chris Petersen for resurrecting Oregon football that day. Quit after the next year. What a fucking loser.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,112
    haie said:

The ducks ran up the middle to beat Gaines in OT in 2018 but I don't know if he was at fault or what specifically happened on that. One of our other DT's got the targeting penalty on Herbert earlier as well.

Fuck Chris Petersen for resurrecting Oregon football that day. Quit after the next year. What a fucking loser.

Pretty sure we had walk on John Cocktoasten in at the time. It was a smart call.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Pretty sure we had walk on John Cocktoasten in at the time. It was a smart call.
    In that case I wanna drink a beer or 5 with @CoacktoastendaWg
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Can some let me know the mark where I get a shout out?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    Swaye said:

Me at the end of the podcast when I realize I haven't gotten a shoutout:

I feel bad for you.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Can some let me know the mark where I get a shout out?

No
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,566
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I forgot Penix transferred here. If healthy he should be better than Huard and Morris
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,530
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

One of my favorite ones recently, nice job. The pitch to hometown recruits is a very real thing that Jamal Crawford and others have actually talked about and regretted: it's a 40 year decision, not a 1-4 one. If you plan on staying in the PNW long-term, there are a litany of reasons to stay at UW (barring some sort of Lake/Gilby/Ty HC nightmare rape situation). Pay attention to Fozzy's future and see where his Stanford jock degree gets him. I've posted about this extensively before but there's a very real and perceptible difference between the Stanford jock with his high school 3.3 GPA majoring in Science, Technology, and Society (33% of the student population) vs the freshman nerd with 4.0/1% score who plays 4 instruments and wrote several popular apps before turning 18. You're talking FAANG engineering vs call center reps.

I still laugh thinking about when the Pac-12 Network hired Toby Gerhart to give studio commentary and he couldn't literally say proper sentences. They'd ask him a question and it was Error 404 in his head.

Might be a dead horse coming from me but couldn't agree more. From a personal perspective, I was obsessed with getting out of the state to go to LA after college to "make it" in a few different things. After being in LA for 10 years plus I realized I would have likely been better off starting all of those things in Seattle and going from there and only really going to the brighter lights if it was needed. Would I feel differently about that if I had quick success in LA, maybe?

The Lake/Gilby/Ty thing is true but at this point almost every school you're not going to have the same coach the whole time anyways so just pick the place that's best for you. Also, I know some guys just want to leave and that's fine. Maybe their family sucks. Maybe like Myles Jack they don't really have a connection to the region.

Has a player who left the state ever won a national championship? I can also think of only a few who I feel like were probably elevated by going to another program and definitely were better than they would have likely been at UW - Jonathan Stewart, David DeCastro, Taylor Mays
  • Options
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

One of my favorite ones recently, nice job. The pitch to hometown recruits is a very real thing that Jamal Crawford and others have actually talked about and regretted: it's a 40 year decision, not a 1-4 one. If you plan on staying in the PNW long-term, there are a litany of reasons to stay at UW (barring some sort of Lake/Gilby/Ty HC nightmare rape situation). Pay attention to Fozzy's future and see where his Stanford jock degree gets him. I've posted about this extensively before but there's a very real and perceptible difference between the Stanford jock with his high school 3.3 GPA majoring in Science, Technology, and Society (33% of the student population) vs the freshman nerd with 4.0/1% score who plays 4 instruments and wrote several popular apps before turning 18. You're talking FAANG engineering vs call center reps.

I still laugh thinking about when the Pac-12 Network hired Toby Gerhart to give studio commentary and he couldn't literally say proper sentences. They'd ask him a question and it was Error 404 in his head.

Might be a dead horse coming from me but couldn't agree more. From a personal perspective, I was obsessed with getting out of the state to go to LA after college to "make it" in a few different things. After being in LA for 10 years plus I realized I would have likely been better off starting all of those things in Seattle and going from there and only really going to the brighter lights if it was needed. Would I feel differently about that if I had quick success in LA, maybe?

The Lake/Gilby/Ty thing is true but at this point almost every school you're not going to have the same coach the whole time anyways so just pick the place that's best for you. Also, I know some guys just want to leave and that's fine. Maybe their family sucks. Maybe like Myles Jack they don't really have a connection to the region.

Has a player who left the state ever won a national championship? I can also think of only a few who I feel like were probably elevated by going to another program and definitely were better than they would have likely been at UW - Jonathan Stewart, David DeCastro, Taylor Mays
    Ahmad Rashad
    Phil Carter (maybe)