Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Show your support for what this community means to you:
Choose a Donation Amount
Username
(required for credit)
Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

why haven't more Fresno State players entered portal and/or come to Seattle?

really surprises me... so few in portal.

i guess i'm thinking 2 things:

1) Tedford is like an extension of Deboer...... Tedford might even by preferred by Deboer..... as per % of Fresno State talent recruit by JT vs. KD, it's thinking it's 55%-45% or something like that. i think JT was gone for 2 years, but then players he recruited leave as Covid and TP have reaked havoc

2) if Fresno State to UW too big a jump? i'd have to check the range of UW and Fresno player recruiting ratings

what got me thinking is the sheer number of players that have moved from Nevada to CSU with Norvall (sp?).... but that's horizontal or downward move.
PurpleBazewhatshouldicareaboutBeno4LifeGreenRiverGatorzMakaDawgCanadawgtheLSkidFire_Marshall_Bill

Comments

• Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    1,500 Awesomes 250 Answers 500 Up Votes Fourth Anniversary
    It’s a fair question and one I’m interested in too. Wouldn’t mind a LB or two or some skill guys.
    Canadawg
  • rivercitybridierivercitybridie Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    so as to not start another thread. trying to understand the later recruiting process, both HS and Transfers.

i look at top 100 HS players from California alot.. top 50 is BCS schools. Arizona was HUGE this year.... next 50 is lesser P12, alot of MWC and alot of undecided.

i assume the next 100, which i don't have access to, is more of the same. maybe fewer P12

so i'm guessing alot of players were waiting to see what happened on early signing day... and now big name schools with small classes will have their pick of players that didn't get a good offer before ESD. but most of those players wouldn't clear UW's player rating bar.

and when do alot of the transfer players decide. do they do it around the final signing day? i.e. can UW still pluck alot of good transfers late?.. i'd say generally and ultimately "yes" but Seattle is so far away from most of these player's homes. that is a big impediment i'd think.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,139
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes Ninth Anniversary
    Because Tedford > DeBoer
    FireCohenRaceBannonhaie
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,527
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes 10000 Comments

Because Tedford > DeBoer

Tedford is a good coach
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 4,898
    5,000 Up Votes 5,000 Awesomes Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments
    I think if Fresno hired anyone but Tedford then several players would have defected to UW already. Tedford recruited the majority of the starters on this year's Fresno team so it makes sense that they decided to stay.
    PostGameOrangeSlices
  • TheHBTheHB Member Posts: 1,718
    2,500 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary 1,500 Up Votes 250 Answers
    Pilfering Fresno players doesn't sound like much of a solution.
    Mad_SonLawDawg1theLSkidFenderbender123
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 3,947
    Ninth Anniversary 2,500 Up Votes 2,500 Awesomes 2500 Comments
    Expect a woof soon, one of them just committed.
    MikeDamonehaie

We're full

we're full with our recruiting class of 6 or 7 players, and i think 2 transfers.........

there is certainly an argument that 1) with all players getting an optional extra year, rosters everywhere were/are over-crowded; 2) you can feast on junior/senior transfer players and not worry about numbers too much as they'll be gone in a year or two.

as per another comment, i think lots of fresno state players could help UW especially with DEPTH............ depth is a huge problem in a few areas. i'm thinking LB and secondary.

lastly i think Fresno would have beaten UW handily this last season so i wouldn't denigrate their players too much (targetted at one poster)... and given that UW didn't close on one player in top 100 California rankings, i wouldn't be too choosy.

sorry forgot.. Thx for the comments :)
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 3,755
    Standard Supporter Eighth Anniversary 2,500 Up Votes 1,500 Awesomes
    I actually think UW doesn't have that many scholarships left and they seem to have a good plan to fill out the the rest.

Keep in mind UW is going to a 4-2-5 and they are pretty set at ILB. Demario King is committed to come in to compete at Rover and Jordan Perryman portaled in to add CB depth.

As for numbers, I think they were at 70 a week ago? Then they put Mishael Powell (a CB who will offer depth and could be in the two deeps) and took Junior Alexander as a transfer WR to go up to 72.

So they may only have 9 spots left after the 4 guys signed their papers December 15th. Demario King will likely take one (JC Rover) then they are down to 8. This is my wish list for the last 8:

OT: Josh Conerly Jr.
    Edge: Kevonte Henry
    Edge / LB: Emar'rion Winston
    JC CB: Ramon Rashada
    LB: Darrien Lewis
    QB: Max Brown / Josh Wood
    ATH: Derek Boyd
    K: Grady Gross

I could be off on the numbers by a few and they thus don't have room for a few of the guys like Lewis, Boyd, and / or Gross.
    HuskyJWchucktheknowledgeCanadawg
    HFNY, thanks for the comment......

doesn't 8 spots left at this juncture constitute "UW has alot of scholarships left"?

UW was pretty close to the lowest scholarship count on signing day.......... and some of the teams down near our small total are situated right in the middle of the southeastearn USA. almost unlimited pool of talent. washington did poorly in California, and the next geographic market is not obvious (UW has done well in AZ and NV but they aren't big football states)............. hopefully lots of transfers come.

certainly an argument to be made that we don't need that many players in this recruiting class...
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,872
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary
    It's been mentioned here but the staff doesn't think they're good enough for this level that has lost to their level a lot in 2021.
    Canadawg
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 3,755
    Standard Supporter Eighth Anniversary 2,500 Up Votes 1,500 Awesomes

HFNY, thanks for the comment......

doesn't 8 spots left at this juncture constitute "UW has alot of scholarships left"?

UW was pretty close to the lowest scholarship count on signing day.......... and some of the teams down near our small total are situated right in the middle of the southeastearn USA. almost unlimited pool of talent. washington did poorly in California, and the next geographic market is not obvious (UW has done well in AZ and NV but they aren't big football states)............. hopefully lots of transfers come.

certainly an argument to be made that we don't need that many players in this recruiting class...

I'm not sure what the total numbers are and my point about 8 spots left being that they are going to sign a big class relative to others who are signing 20 to 25 total players.

I suspect the 2023 class with be 20-25 players and in the top 25. They are offering a lot of WRs, DL, and CBs so far, particularly in CA (23 out of 74 offers are to California HS players).

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Season/2023-Football/Offers/
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 27,500
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments
    We’re too academically prowess for most of their kids.
    HuskyJWhaieMad_SonMikeDamone
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,707
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 2,500 Up Votes 5000 Comments
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,762
    Swaye's Wigwam 2,500 Awesomes Eighth Anniversary 1,500 Up Votes

really surprises me... so few in portal.

i guess i'm thinking 2 things:

1) Tedford is like an extension of Deboer...... Tedford might even by preferred by Deboer..... as per % of Fresno State talent recruit by JT vs. KD, it's thinking it's 55%-45% or something like that. i think JT was gone for 2 years, but then players he recruited leave as Covid and TP have reaked havoc

2) if Fresno State to UW too big a jump? i'd have to check the range of UW and Fresno player recruiting ratings

what got me thinking is the sheer number of players that have moved from Nevada to CSU with Norvall (sp?).... but that's horizontal or downward move.

I have some very strong opinions on what you referenced here … some of it I’m not 100% sure I want to completely elaborate on

I need to think about if I want to publicly put out some of the info I’ve heard the last few days and connecting the dots on what I think happened
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 589
    250 Answers 500 Awesomes 500 Comments 250 Up Votes
    TXDawg said:

If DeBoner’s strategy was to land a P5 job, then fill the roster with G5 talent, we could just wrap this shit up right now.

Yep. Why take a bunch of G5 transfers when we can get P5 transfers?

I also suspect that DeBoer decided to back off from trying to poach any of the very best Fresno players once Tedford decided to become the HC there again... sort of a gentlemen's agreement.
  • TippmanTippman Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments

TXDawg said:

If DeBoner’s strategy was to land a P5 job, then fill the roster with G5 talent, we could just wrap this shit up right now.

Yep. Why take a bunch of G5 transfers when we can get P5 transfers?

I also suspect that DeBoer decided to back off from trying to poach any of the very best Fresno players once Tedford decided to become the HC there again... sort of a gentlemen's agreement.
    None of the local players would have gone to UW. Fresno state actually ended up with better recruits than UW. We have players from USC that came over with Baxter and Tedford kept all the local talent plus many more JuCO and high schools players to come to Fresno. Deboer is a good coach but he ain’t no Tedford. Don’t get to excited because your OC will screw things up.
    EwaDawg