Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Are Bowl Games Becoming Meaningless?

Back in 1985 we had a total of 18 bowl games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985–86_NCAA_football_bowl_games with then ending on January 1st with the Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar & Orange bowls.

In 2021-22 we have over 40 bowl games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_NCAA_football_bowl_games .

Nowadays it has turned into nothing more than a corporate sponsorship parade of bowl games full of teams with barely over .500 season records. The bowl season has been watered down and diluted.

In the past it was a badge of honor for a successful football season. Today it's just another corporate sponsored mass production assembly line event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PyfXAkQY-c
ESPN College Football: Mark Schlabach joins The Paul Finebaum Show to discuss Mike Leach and Texas Tech, the state of bowl games and more.

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    At the risk of posting in here, let's see if we can get this thread to take off!

Slick Rick on Mitch's podcast a couple weeks back predicts that bowl games will eventually become the non-conference schedule the first 2-3 weeks of the season. Interesting idea.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    they are pointless
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Most of then became meaningless before the BCS era. It got worse with the playoff, and is now at the point where it's hard to explain why they still exist.

The cancelations and lack of anyone outside of the teams getting fucked caring should finally deal the death blow. I assume a new plan for next season is already being worked on. That's probably a bad assumption. They probably assembled a brain trust of Jenn Cohens to figure out how to overercome the apathy and sell the bowl games better. In other words more of the same.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When UW went to the Sun Bowl in 79 with a 9-2 record it was cool

But basically once James got rolling the minor bowls we? went to were meaningless

Rose Bowl or bust

The change today is the devaluation of the Rose 🌹

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Five words that could save bowl games and restore a little relevancy to college football: 32 team tour na ment
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I've never seen a bigger contrast with teams who are into it (TTech, Air Force, Army, to name a few), versus teams and coaches who don't give a shit. Interim coaches playing backups filling in for the underwear olympics crew. Coaches not giving a shit because their dudes bailed on the bowel game. Players not giving a shit because the coach bailed a month ago...SO fucking soft.

I didn't watch NFL for about 10 years, after hearing an announcer say "In today's game, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Tommy Nobis would all be out of the game on 3rd and 5 or more, for an extra defensive back"...Fuck that, players play, and winners win, so I'm told...I'm going to go check on the mail now, and then take a nap...
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    Any game after the final CFP is set should generally be considered worthless, based on the product we see on the field for those games. Imagine being expected to travel so you can watch your team's second string?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,463
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah bowl games are worthless except that many people get a lot of December off and the alternative to wacky games and outcomes is watching shitty NBA covid teams and NCAA basketball dick measuring contest games that will not matter come March. Or the No Fun League.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

When UW went to the Sun Bowl in 79 with a 9-2 record it was cool

But basically once James got rolling the minor bowls we? went to were meaningless

Rose Bowl or bust

The change today is the devaluation of the Rose 🌹

And beating Texas
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Five words that could save bowl games and restore a little relevancy to college football: 32 team tour na ment

How would that save bowl games?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I explained my thoughts on that in a previous post. You're not likely to agree, and are a cock sucker, so I'm not going to explain it now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I explained my thoughts on that in a previous post. You're not likely to agree, and are a cock sucker, so I'm not going to explain it now.
    Ah that was uncalled for. I'm sure you're a swell fella.

I'd try reducing to a total of four bowl games and make it the quarterfinal round. Or a max of eight and make it the second round. You'd get better matchups and better games, and make the surviving bowl games that much more meaningful and fun, if it was the round of 8 only.

Making the semis bowl games means there are two meaningful bowls. Making it the quarterfinals means there are 4. Thats my thinking. I'm not saying it's creative or brilliant and won't satisfy everyone, but I think it's a simple solution that would work.

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It's special watching these bowel games. The head coach left two weeks ago for greener pastures, 3-4 key players on each side of ball are sitting it out for the draft. Pathetic... Burn it down or have an 8 team playoff with conference champs in major conferences going, have another NITish tourney for everyone else.