Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PAC 12 Early Signing Period Conference Rankings

247 Sports (click for full article) https://247sports.com/college/washington/LongFormArticle/National-Signing-Day-Ranking-Pac-12-2022-early-recruiting-classes-178643269/#1799478_1

12. WASHINGTON

Overall Rank: 89

Top Signee: Germie Bernard, WR, 4-star recruit, No. 220 overall.

Top Transfer: Michael Penix Jr., QB, Indiana

Recruits Signed: 6

Out goes Jimmy Lake after two seasons in place of Chris Petersen. In comes Kalen DeBoer. Washington began the day ranked 10th, but lost ground to both USC and Arizona State Wednesday when the faxes began. Many touted DeBoer as a great fit for the job, but it may take time to rebuild a recruiting class with just six players signed so far.

“The top priority was to get the guys that were committed – the guys that, when I looked at them on paper and watched their film and understood more about them, were guys that love this program, had deep ties to it in some ways, whether it’s because they were committed to it for a long time or local, whatever it might be,” he said via Dawgman. “That was a top priority.”

Comments

• Options
    dougthedawgdougthedawg Member Posts: 179
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I am afraid it is going to take a cycle to repair the recruiting brand degredation. It started at the end of the Petersen era - then turned into full fledged dumpster fire under Lake.

Hopefully we kill with tranfers in the meantime.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I praise Allah that this class was going to be on the smaller side anyway and the 2023 class is pretty deep in WA State.

Besides the big Penix get, where do fellow DAWGs think we need transfers? Younger guys would be ideal since the 2021 class was smaller and the 2022 class will be smaller than that. Are there any good players who were only at their schools for 1 or 2 seasons?
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2021

“The top priority was to get the guys that were committed – the guys that, when I looked at them on paper and watched their film and understood more about them, were guys that love this program, had deep ties to it in some ways, whether it’s because they were committed to it for a long time or local, whatever it might be,” he said via Dawgman. “That was a top priority.”

Sounds like he wants to build a fence around the state
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

HFNY said:

I praise Allah that this class was going to be on the smaller side anyway and the 2023 class is pretty deep in WA State.

Besides the big Penix get, where do fellow DAWGs think we need transfers? Younger guys would be ideal since the 2021 class was smaller and the 2022 class will be smaller than that. Are there any good players who were only at their schools for 1 or 2 seasons?

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Penix over Nix, but to say getting a QB coming off a 4-7 td/int ratio is "big" is troubling.
    Yeah, he has glass bones. The upside is really good if you can protect him and keep him healthy.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2021

HFNY said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Penix over Nix, but to say getting a QB coming off a 4-7 td/int ratio is "big" is troubling.
    Yeah, he has glass bones. The upside is really good if you can protect him and keep him healthy.
    That's bothersome, given the recent performance of Washington's offensive line. Huff might be one of the better recruiters, but if he can't get the most out of the OL that is there, then they are wasting the upside Penix provides.
  • Options

HFNY said:

That's bothersome, given the recent performance of Washington's offensive line. Huff might be one of the better recruiters, but if he can't get the most out of the OL that is there, then they are wasting the upside Penix provides.
    Deboner’s pass protection schemes are much better than Petersen/Donovan plus we obviously have more OL talent than Indiana (they’ve been a disaster in pass pro, bottom 5 per pff for the last 3 years).
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

HFNY said:

Deboner’s pass protection schemes are much better than Petersen/Donovan plus we obviously have more OL talent than Indiana (they’ve been a disaster in pass pro, bottom 5 per pff for the last 3 years).
    Haener nearly was Britain covey’d a handful of games this year. Their line was not good.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

I mostly just wanted to say that for simple amusement. If he can stay healthy and replicate his 2019 numbers, fantastic. If he's a back-up who offers a different look as a RPO QB but is more of a depth guy in 2021, that wouldn't be the end of the world.
  • Options

HFNY said:

Haener nearly was Britain covey’d a handful of games this year. Their line was not good.
    Something something Fresno talent
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

HFNY said:

They suck in conference games too. They’re just a below avg offensive line. Fresno beat writers would tell you as much too. There’s a reason they never considered bringing their shitty oLine coach. They think huff is a better option.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

They suck in conference games too. They’re just a below avg offensive line. Fresno beat writers would tell you as much too. There’s a reason they never considered bringing their shitty oLine coach. They think huff is a better option.
    Good point and DeBoer can always move on from Huff after 2022 if need be. But I suspect no longer having the taint of JonDon will have him suddenly look like he can coach again.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344

HFNY said:

I love ya kid, but it's these kinds of pronouncements that make me scratch my head. It's one thing for people to pop off on overall offensive schemes based on general observations of productivity or 4-3 vs. 3-4 and that sort of wasted breath. But do you really understand the difference between the two "pass protection schemes" and have any kind of basis for saying one is better other than the Fresno guy's scheme worked better this season for him ... at Fresno?

You may actually understand it, and if you do, I would suggest you are wasting your time here and might consider a career in coaching. I mean, if you are that into it, just fucking do it for a living and get off the internet.
    I have a question for you, as a general fan of football, can you tell the difference between full slide protection vs half-slide protection?
    No sarkasm just curious

Some dudes will really say “the Oline sucks” when the protection calls for Sean Mcgrew to block a fucking DT in the A gap after getting a fake handoff, that’s just dumb scheme, but it will work at Michigan State when you have a RB who’s yard jacked
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2021
    theLSkid said:

HFNY said:

I love ya kid, but it's these kinds of pronouncements that make me scratch my head. It's one thing for people to pop off on overall offensive schemes based on general observations of productivity or 4-3 vs. 3-4 and that sort of wasted breath. But do you really understand the difference between the two "pass protection schemes" and have any kind of basis for saying one is better other than the Fresno guy's scheme worked better this season for him ... at Fresno?

You may actually understand it, and if you do, I would suggest you are wasting your time here and might consider a career in coaching. I mean, if you are that into it, just fucking do it for a living and get off the internet.
    I have a question for you, as a general fan of football, can you tell the difference between full slide protection vs half-slide protection?
    No sarkasm just curious

Some dudes will really say “the Oline sucks” when the protection calls for Sean Mcgrew to block a fucking DT in the A gap after getting a fake handoff, that’s just dumb scheme, but it will work at Michigan State when you have a RB who’s yard jacked
    No, not really, I can't. I can see players getting beat and obviously if a back in pass protection is either shitty at it or just doesn't have the mass to do it. But, no, I'm not that level. There are too many things I should be doing that I haven't yet done to take a deep dive into football scheme and nomenclature.

Said another way, when I see a good RB not able to get anywhere or a QB with people in his face a split second after the snap, I just say, "something's wrong with the O line." Or, said yet another way, I would never post that a new coach has better protection schemes and will therefore take the same O line and with that alone do better. I know some people can say those things and be right, but I'm not one of them.

And just to be clear, I didn't say the Washington O line sucks. I watched their games and saw they didn't have a particularly good year, but am not the guy who can accurately assess the talent.

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

HFNY said:

Overhyped Josh Shirley has more sacks in two possessions against Fresno than in two games against UW so I can see how they preferred Huff.

I hate to disagree with noted football savant BTP, and his solid logic of Indiana sucking at pass pro but Washington having better talent means they will be great. Just looking at this one individual play it looks like a zone blocking scheme where it’s defeated by the least complex method that exists: a stunt, big DE/DT goes outside the rush end - the tackle doesn’t have a choice because if he doesn’t block that zone no one will, the LG is left holding his dick, the result is Haener shouldn’t use a white handkerchief to cough in that week.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The two main "defenses" of keeping Huff

UW will have better pass pro

Huff won't actually be the O line coach just a recruiter

I rest my case
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344

theLSkid said:

HFNY said:

No sarkasm just curious

No, not really, I can't. I can see players getting beat and obviously if a back in pass protection is either shitty at it or just doesn't have the mass to do it. But, no, I'm not that level. There are too many things I should be doing that I haven't yet done to take a deep dive into football scheme and nomenclature.

Said another way, when I see a good RB not able to get anywhere or a QB with people in his face a split second after the snap, I just say, "something's wrong with the O line." Or, said yet another way, I would never post that a new coach has better protection schemes and will therefore take the same O line and with that alone do better. I know some people can say those things and be right, but I'm not one of them.

And just to be clear, I didn't say the Washington O line sucks. I watched their games and saw they didn't have a particularly good year, but am not the guy who can accurately assess the talent.

Yeah I totally understand, I played a little bit of college ball so I can see the game a little differently than others and it made this season even more grueling to watch.
    Half slide = RB is in A Gap
    Full Slide = RB chips the end

Half slide is rarely used in college but a ton in the NFL, which is probably why Jon Don instituted it. The idea is to pound the ball up the middle, then use the RB to suck up the defense so you can go over top.
    Doesn’t really matter when you can’t run the ball, but that’s the idea, and it’s a stupid one.

I get where you’re coming from, wasn’t trying to be hostile in my response at all, if it came across that way. There’s some really good material on YouTube if you want some links to learn the game