Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Don't take the cheese Brock Huard: Re Wilcox/Oregon Job

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Brock's mantra has become recruit recruit recruit gather the most talent and win.

Speculated that Wilcox didn't want to take Oregon Job b/c "if he wanted to take a bunch of 3 stars and coach em up, Oregon would tell him no, you need a bunch of 4 and 5 stars along with a top 5-10 class to win"

And this is why I would never want Justin Wilcox as my head coach. He's got alot of Pete in him, without any success to back it up.

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This is the same simplistic bullshit people said about Pete when he first came to UW. "His success is only based on recruiting and developing 2-star guys, he won't have any idea how to recruit and win with 4 and 5 star players!!!11!!one!!"

As if Wilcox at Cal and Pete at Boise were recruiting nobodies because that was their preference and not because they were coaching at small-time programs. If Wilcox took the Oregon job it's not at all unreasonable to think that he'd recruit on par with what Oregon is capable of. Not Cristobal levels, but still well above what he's reduced to at Cal.

ATBS, Wilcox would've been a shitty hire, but it has nothing to do with unfounded fears of not "wanting" to recruit higher caliber players. Brock usually has better takes than this, so I'm going to assume you're misrepresenting what he said on some level.
  • Options
    Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 109
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Brock usually has better takes than this, so I'm going to assume you're misrepresenting what he said on some level.

Nah - Brock has been the King Husky alum of the new era of lowered expectations for a very long time. He's comfortable with the idea of UW being a lunch pail program that can't keep up with USC and Oregon recruiting.

• Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    Wilcox told them all 9,000 uni combos had to go
  • Options
    PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

Brock usually has better takes than this, so I'm going to assume you're misrepresenting what he said on some level.

Nah - Brock has been the King Husky alum of the new era of lowered expectations for a very long time. He's comfortable with the idea of UW being a lunch pail program that can't keep up with USC and Oregon recruiting.

This isn't fair at all. I thought Brock was dooging when he said Matt Campbell (no one cares) would bring "legitimacy" back to UW football. He dooged over the deboner hire as many here did as well. But before that coaching search he had been very critical of the program the past few seasons.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,132
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

This isn't fair at all. I thought Brock was dooging when he said Matt Campbell (no one cares) would bring "legitimacy" back to UW football. He dooged over the deboner hire as many here did as well. But before that coaching search he had been very critical of the program the past few seasons.
    Brock was at uw for 4 years. The 4 purple helmet years. HTH.
  • Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,485
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

There is a huge list of insufferable former players who spew lowered expectations bullshit. Brock has never struck me as one of them. He's not always extremely candid with his criticism, but I've rarely heard him sugarcoat anything.
    He's a nail-on-chalkboard, unbearable soapboxing WHINER.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    Swaye's Wigwam

AOG said:

There is a huge list of insufferable former players who spew lowered expectations bullshit. Brock has never struck me as one of them. He's not always extremely candid with his criticism, but I've rarely heard him sugarcoat anything.
    Eh, different strokes I guess. I've always liked Brock and thought him to be a sharp guy. Yeah, he's aware of his job and so he can't go 100% "keepin' it real". He doesn't have that kind of platform. But he's smart, good on TV, understandable and has reasonable takes.
    Don't forget Molly. I suspect my positive opinion of Brock is highly influenced by her

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beno4Life said:

Outside of his King James Bible-thumping schtick, Brock's beatdown of Jimmy and staff, especially on defense (JohnDon was low-hanging fruit), couldn't have been more critical. I can guarantee you Jen heard that rant on 710. Dude has been just as critical of the other Pete and Seahawks as his beloved Dawgs. I so appreciate his Xs and Os takes, as well as erudite temperature of the program.
    Brock set it in motion.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

AOG said:

Eh, different strokes I guess. I've always liked Brock and thought him to be a sharp guy. Yeah, he's aware of his job and so he can't go 100% "keepin' it real". He doesn't have that kind of platform. But he's smart, good on TV, understandable and has reasonable takes.
    Don't forget Molly. I suspect my positive opinion of Brock is highly influenced by her

Is that his mom? I fucking hope so.