Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Campbell? Meh

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Don't want a guy who sets low expectations for his team and who, with 20 starters returning, significantly regresses coming off of a surprise Fiesta Bowl. They had a Heisman finalist running back, the best quarterback in school history, the preseason favorite to win the Mackey Award, and the Big 12 DPOY all back this year and were mediocre.

Campbell clearly didn't have his guys ready to handle expectations this year. No thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club
    HFNY said:

Meh, 4 out of his 5 losses have been by 7 points or less and 4 of his 5 losses were on the road. He'll probably beat TCU at home and then win his bowl game to finish 8-5.

He's 30-23 in conference (he was 24-8 in conference at Toledo).

He also has a top 25 recruiting class coming in.

Let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good enough.

So he can't win close games with a seasoned team? Even better.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

I don't think we get him but Campbell would be a big dick hire who (1) has been coveted by nearly vacant every program under the sun, and (2) leveled up two separate historically garbage programs. This isn't exactly Ty going 44-36 at Stanford. I would doog like hell for him.

That being said, 0-6 vs rival Iowa is terrible. As is most of '21 in general, and yes I never put stock into close losses. Loser doog talk.

UW could do 800x worse than this dude though. Two separate programs winning well above expectations, with both stops long enough to show he didn't get lucky or just ride a hot QB or senior laden team. He has recruited and developed and generally been pretty decent.

Generally agree with what you said but I think you have to look at close losses in context. (Which I'm not doing for Campbell here.) Close losses are better than getting blown out. It's best to be able to play with everybody.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

HFNY said:

Meh, 4 out of his 5 losses have been by 7 points or less and 4 of his 5 losses were on the road. He'll probably beat TCU at home and then win his bowl game to finish 8-5.

He's 30-23 in conference (he was 24-8 in conference at Toledo).

He also has a top 25 recruiting class coming in.

Let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good enough.

So he can't win close games with a seasoned team? Even better.
    Close games are mostly luck. Especially in such small samples.

Unless you think Texas Tech hitting a last second 62 yard fg was somehow Campbell’s responsibility?

The best way to win close games is to not get into hem in the first place.
    UW’s entire philosophy the past few years is to stay in close games no matter who they’re playing. See Kwiatkoswki defense as exhibit A.
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Does anyone even think we are in it for Campbell? This program is such a mess and acts poor, so not expecting much. Probably going to roll the dice on a supposed up and comer.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    no_uh said:

Does anyone even think we are in it for Campbell? This program is such a mess and acts poor, so not expecting much. Probably going to roll the dice on a supposed up and comer.

Firing a coach mid season and paying him $10 million is acting poor?
  • Options
    TheHB said:

no_uh said:

Firing a coach mid season and paying him $10 million is acting poor?
    Just wait. And Hop is still here.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I agree the program is a mess and the AD is a fucktard but “acting poor” doesn’t make sense.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    TheHB said:

I agree the program is a mess and the AD is a fucktard but “acting poor” doesn’t make sense.

Fair enough. I'm mostly going off of message bored rumors of $ being an issue, and waiting a week to fire the head coach, apparently to save $100k. I have no faith in making a good hire.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This year is a huge red flag. He had a top 10 team and now is barely bowl eligible. We’d want Petersen fired if he did that.

& 0-6 versus Iowa is almost disqualifying. You can spin a lot of bullshit about Iowa state being a little sister or the poor (yes, true), but that’s baffling.

Campbell is benefiting from the hype of last year, & the fact that there just aren’t many consensus “next great thing” coaches on the market right now.

That said, I fully expect he will be the hire (Campbell doesn’t want the bright lights of USC), and I will accordingly doog, if only because it will be viewed as a big dick hire, even if not fully justified.

In his favor, that he has a top 25 class at ISU gives me some hope.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    doogville said:

This year is a huge red flag. He had a top 10 team and now is barely bowl eligible. We’d want Petersen fired if he did that.

& 0-6 versus Iowa is almost disqualifying. You can spin a lot of bullshit about Iowa state being a little sister or the poor (yes, true), but that’s baffling.

Campbell is benefiting from the hype of last year, & the fact that there just aren’t many consensus “next great thing” coaches on the market right now.

That said, I fully expect he will be the hire (Campbell doesn’t want the bright lights of USC), and I will accordingly doog, if only because it will be viewed as a big dick hire, even if not fully justified.

In his favor, that he has a top 25 class at ISU gives me some hope.

Well said, this is where I'm at pretty much at. The 0-6 vs Iowa is borderline unforgivable but there are so many other promising data points I can swallow it. I have Aranda and even DeBoner ahead of him though.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    no_uh said:

TheHB said:

Fair enough. I'm mostly going off of message bored rumors of $ being an issue, and waiting a week to fire the head coach, apparently to save $100k. I have no faith in making a good hire.
    Everything I hear says money isn’t an issue for the right coach

That said those with money aren’t going to let Jen throw money around on mediocrity
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

The narratives that people are citing as reasons to cool on Campbell are 1) his comments in a presser this week about process/results, 2) 6-5 record in 2021 with an experienced team that won a NY6 bowl last year, and 3) record vs Iowa (0-5, they didn't play in 2020)

Let's start with the "Coach Speak" comments ...

The comments in the presser are coach speak to the media and that's that. Moreover, as many of you probably don't want to hear, the most important thing for a coach to establish is process and consistency within the program ... do that and the results tend to follow. I'm not going to say that winning and losing doesn't matter, but the reality is that Iowa State's probably been a bit on the unlucky side this year. In their 5 losses, they've lost by a total of 29 points and all 4 of their conference losses (all on the road) being by a TD or less. In some respects, their season this year reminds me a lot of the '88/'89 seasons for UW. In '88, UW was 6-5 and lost their 5 games by 15 points. In '89, UW was 8-4, lost 3 of the 4 games by a total of 13 points, and the other game was a loss to the national champion.

There's probably some PTSD from Jimmy talking in his pressers about being one play away, one call away, etc. and Grandpappy Race would just tell you winners win and losers lose and there's some truth to that. But if we're being honest here, I think most of us with a brain know that there's a difference between losing competitive games where you can point to a couple of items that swung the outcome and getting your ass blown out the way that Oregon did at Utah.

Campbell's lost 3 games in the last 5 years by more than 10 points:

2018: at Texas 24-10 ... this was the Texas team that beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl
    2019: Notre Dame 33-9 ... Camping World Bowl with a ND team that was 11-2
    2020: Louisiana 31-14 ... 1st game coming out of COVID and I'm willing to basically not pay too much attention to anything last year

When you factor in the fact that this is being done at Iowa State (which is a bottom 10 P5 job in the entire country to be honest) ... that's damn impressive

Let's talk about the record vs Iowa ...

If you really want to put a flag on Campbell, this would be the one that I would put out there as being valid. But here's the thing, after throwing out the first year as the initial part of the rebuild, the other 4 losses have been by a total of 24 points and included an OT loss and a 1 point loss. Another thing, in each of those 4 years by SRS Iowa has had the higher rated team ... so what we're really complaining about is the equivalent of the Cougs beating UW. Did not beating UW make Leach a bad coach? Iowa State has a number of challenges to start with ... then add to it that it's the clear #2 school in a state that isn't producing substantial CFB caliber talent?

In the end, I'll note that you want Campbell to perform better against his rival. If he was to get the UW job, a 5 game losing streak against Oregon isn't going to endear himself to anybody. But if this is the biggest red flag that you can find on somebody, then you should be in a full fledged praying Doog pose hoping that he's the choice.

2021 - What Happened?

I watch a lot of Big 12 football and in particular I've watched a lot of Iowa State because my affinity for Matt Campbell and what he has done at Iowa State is well known. To say that they've been snake bitten this year is an understatement. Against Baylor, they fell apart in special teams and failed to tie the game late in the 4th on a 2 point conversion. Against West Virginia, you're looking at arguably the most home cooked officiating game of the year. At Texas Tech they lose to a 62 yard FG. Against Oklahoma they get gashed early in the game for a long TD, have a strip fumble TD given up, and still have a chance to go tie/win the game at the end. It's seemed like one of those years that what could go wrong has gone wrong.

To the average outsider, the Big 12 race this year is a 3 way one with Okie Lite, Oklahoma, and Baylor ... but the in-conference numbers tell you that Iowa State is right there in that mix ...

Offensive Stats:

Yards per Carry = 4.97 (5th, Oklahoma 1st at 5.30)
    Yards per Pass Attempt = 7.93 (6th, TCU 1st at 9.25)
    Yards per Completion = 10.97 (8th, TCU 1st at 13.87)
    Completion % = 72.3% (1st)
    Yards per Offensive Play = 6.47 (3rd, Oklahoma 1st at 7.10)
    Points per Game = 33.1 (4th, Oklahoma 1st at 36.1)
    Plays per Turnover = 68 (2nd, Oklahoma St 1st at 87)

Defensive Stats:

Yards per Carry = 4.32 (5th, Oklahoma St 1st at 2.55)
    Yards per Pass Attempt = 7.44 (3rd, Oklahoma St 1st at 5.94)
    Yards per Completion = 11.91 (5th, Oklahoma St 1st at 10.91)
    Completion % = 62.5% (3rd, Oklahoma St 1st at 54.5%)
    Yards per Defensive Play = 5.70 (4th, Oklahoma St 1st at 4.13)
    Points per Game = 23.8 (4th, Oklahoma St 1st at 13.1)
    Plays per Turnover = 45 (3rd, Baylor 1st at 41)

Combined Stats:

Yards per Play Differential (Offense - Defense): 0.78 (4th, behind Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Baylor)
    Scoring Differential: 9.4 (3rd, behind Oklahoma St and Baylor)
    Turnover Margin: +3 (T-2nd, 1 behind Oklahoma, tied with Oklahoma St and Baylor)

So basically, when you look at every major stat in the conference this year, Iowa St is an upper half team. The only area that Iowa State isn't is when it comes to explosive offensive plays ... which I'd be willing to bet you gets fixed with BETTER PLAYERS (which comes from moving from Iowa State to a better school).

Conclusion

Bottom line, you can see the improvement and leveling up of Iowa State under Campbell's tenure. Recruiting is where he levels up Iowa State from there and who knows where they end when all is said and done but they are Top 25 right now for the 2022 class and has players coming in from all over (Florida to Arizona). This class is a significant level up from prior classes stemming from that NY6 win over Oregon that validated what Campbell's been doing and opening doors. You give him the platform that he has at UW and you're going to get strong results.

There are a lot of similarities here to the best that Chris Petersen had. A big difference here is that Campbell is far more aggressive and operates with a perpetual chip on his shoulder. If anything, this year was a great lesson for him and his team of handling the attention and being the hunted instead of the hunters. There is absolutely nothing in Campbell's resume that doesn't suggest that he'll take lessons from this and be better for it going forward.

This would be an absolute home run hire for UW ... we should all be jumping up and down if Matt Campbell is the next UW Head Coach.

TL; DR.

I'm hearing a lot of excuses for a guy who couldn't win close games all year with a team that was pre-season top-10. If those were his results at UW this season we'd want him gone for being a choke artist.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    no_uh said:

TheHB said:

I don't know what you're going off of then. We here at HH specialize in message board rumors, and financial constraints are not part of the conversation.