Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Miami Hurricanes Fire Their AD

Miami Herald (click for full article) https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article254971492.html

The University of Miami has fired athletic director Blake James. UM said Monday evening that the university and James “today mutually agreed to part ways.’’ The decision, however, was made by UM president Julio Frenk. The firing comes two days after Miami football lost its rivalry game at Florida State with 26 seconds left. “The University of Miami and Director of Athletics Blake James today mutually agreed to part ways,’’ UM wrote in a release. “James’ 17 years at the University — including eight as athletics director— were marked by class and integrity. He served in several ACC and NCAA leadership roles and earned national recognition from his peers during his time with the Hurricanes. “A national search for the University’s next athletics director will begin immediately.”

It is believed former UM quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta would be among those who have interest in the job. UM deputy director of athletics Jennifer Strawley will serve as interim athletic director during the search, UM said. “Strawley will work closely and collaboratively with the president, as well as with Rudy Fernandez, in his role as chief of staff to the president, and Joe Echevarria, in his role as senior advisor to the president.’’ James, named the UM athletic director in 2013 after serving a few months as interim director, has been highly criticized by football fans and former players upset by the direction in which the program has turned.

DIAZ’S FUTURE

The future of Miami coach Manny Diaz at this point is still unknown, but the anticipation is UM will likely make a coaching change. James chose Diaz to succeed Mark Richt just 10 hours after Richt announced his retirement on Dec. 30, 2018, as UM’s 25th head football coach to replace Richt, who retired with a 26-13 record in three seasons.

James, who obviously hand-picked Diaz, had been under immense pressure from his angry detractors for being too hasty in the hiring and not undertaking a full-fledged search. Current successful Oregon coach Mario Cristobal — a former Hurricanes offensive lineman and UM assistant coach who grew up in Miami and was the head FIU coach from 2007 to 2012 — would be the overwhelmingly popular choice to replace Diaz and has been mentioned as a likely target, should Diaz be dismissed. In football, UM, the winner of national championships in 1983, 87, 89, 91 and 2001, has lost seven of its past 12 games dating to 2020, and seven of its past 10 games against opponents in Power 5 conferences. UM’s last win over a non-ACC Power 5 opponent was Nov. 11, 2017, against Notre Dame. UM football is now 5-5 overall and 3-3 in the Atlantic Coast Coast Conference, needing one victory in its final two regular-season games to qualify for a bowl. Its loss at struggling FSU took Miami out of ACC contention. Miami canceled its football media access for Tuesday.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,974
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    "...were marked by class and integrity"... translation: The football team sucked
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    @creepycoug what does this mean for manny?AD getting fired never good for a coach but it’s my understanding manny may have helped orchestrate this
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Jen Cohen is tanned, rested, and ready.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Jen could wear a sundress and sandals year round
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jen could wear a sundress and sandals year round
    She doesn’t lack confidence in the big jubblies and hammer toe departments.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,473
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021
    If Meat finds it in him to leave for Miami I'm getting a subscription to Oregon's sites.

The meth induced suicides will skyrocket in southern Oregon as he takes his "Cali Flock" with him.
  • Options
    haie said:

If Meat finds it in him to leave for Miami I'm getting a subscription to Oregon's sites.

The meth induced suicides will skyrocket in southern Oregon as he takes his "Cali Flock" with him.

Well need to find djs board that he moderates
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    It would be the most Oregon thing ever to lose Cristobal and hire Stoops while Washington settles for Wilcox.
  • Options

It would be the most Oregon thing ever to lose Cristobal and hire Stoops while Washington settles for Wilcox.

Moorhead redux
  • Options
    Founders Club

It would be the most Oregon thing ever to lose Cristobal and hire Stoops while Washington settles for Wilcox Nussmeier.

• Options
    Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 109
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2021
    haie said:

I don't think Oregon fans are even all that enamored with him anyway. And, well, they probably shouldn't be. Good recruiter, but he's a fucking moron. I'd rather someone with intelligence doesn't get a chance to coach his recruits there.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ntxduck said:

@creepycoug what does this mean for manny?AD getting fired never good for a coach but it’s my understanding manny may have helped orchestrate this

I think this is the clear tell:

https://247sports.com/Article/Ex-Miami-Hurricanes-football-players-planning-state-of-program-discussion-amid-Manny-Diaz-uncertainty-report-175468925/

I can't imagine he survives this. He basically admitted screwing up the 4th and 14 call by not rushing more than three, when doing so had worked all game against a young QB who was shaky against the rush. And Diaz is a defensive coach. Miami also has the 60th ranked recruiting class, worse than UW. Miami is hardly ever in the top 3 in national recruiting; but they should trip over themselves into the top 25 given where they are and degree to which local kids still feel about playing for the U.

Too much water under the bridge now for him to survive. I mean, it's not as if the AD wasn't giving him something he needed. You fire the AD over the football program, the coach has to be next. I think the only reason they haven't fired him yet is they want to give the next AD a chance to chime in.

Manny gone.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

haie said:

I don't think Oregon fans are even all that enamored with him anyway. And, well, they probably shouldn't be. Good recruiter, but he's a fucking moron. I'd rather someone with intelligence doesn't get a chance to coach his recruits there.
    Those Oregon fans are FS. He's not a good recruiter; he's a great recruiter. He was the key in putting together the '98 to '2002 run at Miami that had talent to rival that of any program in game history. Then Schiano used all 3 of his brain cells and brought him to Rutgers where Cristobal hauled in NFL talent to that college football waste dump. He obviously was successful doing it at Bamers and now has elevated Oregon recruiting to a level it's never seen before. GMAFB.

He took over a complete dumpster fire of a program, made great hires, brought in organization and toughness and chased away the coach of the then conference bully in Washington and has given O three wins in a row over them, a win on the road at Buck and a Rose Bowl. Herbert was flailing and going nowhere fast at Oregon before Crisco took over.

It will be comical to me how badly they will miss the guy when he does eventually leave. If the Miami job were to open and Mario took it I'd be fucking ecstatic. Boyfriend or not, he is exactly what the Canes need.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    Founders Club

haie said:

Those Oregon fans are FS. He's not a good recruiter; he's a great recruiter. He was the key in putting together the '98 to '2002 run at Miami that had talent to rival that of any program in game history. Then Schiano used all 3 of his brain cells and brought him to Rutgers where Cristobal hauled in NFL talent to that college football waste dump. He obviously was successful doing it at Bamers and now has elevated Oregon recruiting to a level it's never seen before. GMAFB.

He took over a complete dumpster fire of a program, made great hires, brought in organization and toughness and chased away the coach of the then conference bully in Washington and has given O three wins in a row over them, a win on the road at Buck and a Rose Bowl. Herbert was flailing and going nowhere fast at Oregon before Crisco took over.

It will be comical to me how badly they will miss the guy when he does eventually leave. If the Miami job were to open and Mario took it I'd be fucking ecstatic. Boyfriend or not, he is exactly what the Canes need.

Make Miami Great Again. I miss the Canes.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,495
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021

haie said:

Oddly never thought about it but he probably came to Oregon with a lot of animosity to Washington. 91 he has to share his national title with them. A lot of his friends are on the 1994 team who get embarrassed and their streak broken in the Orange Bowl. Then he starts his coaching career and gets a national title stolen in Seattle in 2000 and he’s not on the staff for revenge in 2001. Then he gets beaten down as OC in 2017 in Seattle. Too bad they didn’t have a championship game back then because there would assuredly be at least one play where Emptman prison raped him.

I actually wonder if part of his pitch to Fill Night was that he fucking hates Washington.

Long story short he seems like if Tosh Lupoi was more motivated to be a head coach and better with X’s and O’s and he’s a fake tough guy if he doesn’t take the Miami job if it’s actually offered to him.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

haie said:

Oddly never thought about it but he probably came to Oregon with a lot of animosity to Washington. 91 he has to share his national title with them. A lot of his friends are on the 1994 team who get embarrassed and their streak broken in the Orange Bowl. Then he starts his coaching career and gets a national title stolen in Seattle in 2000 and he’s not on the staff for revenge in 2001. Then he gets beaten down as OC in 2017 in Seattle. Too bad they didn’t have a championship game back then because there would assuredly be at least one play where Emptman prison raped him.

I actually wonder if part of his pitch to Fill Night was that he fucking hates Washington.

Long story short he seems like if Tosh Lupoi was more motivated to be a head coach and better with X’s and O’s and he’s a fake tough guy if he doesn’t take the Miami job if it’s actually offered to him.
    This is a pretty aggressive post. Good for you.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,830
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Please take Meathead