Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon still deserves to be ahead of Ohio State

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,907
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
By Chris Vannini Oct 25, 2021

“You play to win the games. Hello?!”

We’re getting close to the first edition of the College Football Playoff rankings. After this weekend’s results, I remain frustrated that Ohio State is slightly ahead of Oregon in the polls. That’s not the case here. Once again, and especially after a win at UCLA, the Ducks are ahead of the Ohio State team they beat in this week’s edition of The Athletic 130.

Oregon won at Ohio Stadium. It’s probably the second-best win of any team this season. The Ducks not only won, but they never trailed and they led for the entire second half. They also beat Fresno State in a result that looks pretty good now.

Ohio State has been absolutely dominant since a slow start to the season, scoring on 18 consecutive first-half drives (that didn’t end the half) over the past four games. The talent level is obvious. The Buckeyes may be rounding into form like they have in past years, but I need to see it against someone other than Akron, Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana. The Penn State defense this coming week will be a real barometer.

Yes, Oregon lost to a 3-4 Stanford team. It only happened thanks to a flag on the final play, but it’s fair to say the Ducks shouldn’t have been in that position. But they also lost offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead to an emergency medical situation before the game, and the offense is clearly different when Moorhead is running it. Ohio State has one win against a team with a winning record, and that’s Minnesota, which lost to Bowling Green.

The whole problem with the College Football Playoff system is arguing the best teams over the most deserving. If it’s not the most deserving, what’s the point of playing? If two teams are on generally equal standing, the head-to-head result should be a determining factor. There’s a lot of season still to go and things will change, but I find myself having to make this same case every year, for some reason. Oregon beat Ohio State, and it has better wins and the same number of losses. The Ducks should be ranked higher for now. I rest my case.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Buckeyes beat up cripples better than Oregon. That's what it comes down to

Maryland, Rutgers, and Indiana

What loss to Oregon?
  • Options
    ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    No way that holds.

Mostly because we’ll probably lose again, but if we win out…

H2H Matters or it’s all bullshit and only money matters.

Why even schedule the games.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    ramenduck said:

No way that holds.

If Oregon wins out they will be in the top 4.

Cincinnati may make that more difficult than usual but there’s nothing to worry about until the selection committee has a one loss tOSU and one loss Oregon sitting in their laps.

The strange part is that the tOSU win is a tiebreaker against almost anyone else for the 4 seed except… Ohio State.
  • Options
    BlueduckBlueduck Member Posts: 1,074
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2021

"The strange part is that the tOSU win is a tiebreaker against almost anyone else for the 4 seed except… Ohio State. "

ECB in its purest form. tOSU>west coast
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    Swaye's Wigwam

ramenduck said:

No way that holds.

Cincinnati may make that more difficult than usual but there’s nothing to worry about until the selection committee has a one loss tOSU and one loss Oregon sitting in their laps.

The strange part is that the tOSU win is a tiebreaker against almost anyone else for the 4 seed except… Ohio State.
    True but

Who's In needs content

We? do this every year and its never settled until the conference championship games

I don't see Ohio State going over Oregon with one loss each. Head to head does matter

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2021
    You can't keep telling the Pac-12 that they need to beat one of the elite schools in non-conference and then when one does, move the goalposts to deny them a playoff spot. I don't care if it's Oregon or not.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    There's zero (lol!) chance a one loss Oregon gets left out of the playoffs.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

ramenduck said:

No way that holds.

True but

Who's In needs content

We? do this every year and its never settled until the conference championship games

I don't see Ohio State going over Oregon with one loss each. Head to head does matter

Every year. And it’s why I don’t care, yet.