Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest (male) country artist/s of the 1980's

2»

Comments

• Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    Randy Travis
    I listen to Don Williams all the time. It’s the truth.

A lot of shit music in the 80’s country, but Garth and the revolution started at the end of that decade so it’s not all bad.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    George Straight
    FUCK OFF for not spelling King George properly ... or just simply calling him King George
  • Options
    George Straight
    King George is King George ... he's so far and away ahead of anybody else regardless of the decade throughout his career that it's hard to find anybody even close to comparable. Even if you want to ding him for not being the primary song writer (which he was at least involved in the 80s), that's fine ... he still kicks everybody's ass.

As it comes to most iconic songs of the decade, you have to start with Randy Travis as "Forever and Ever Amen" is purely iconic. Honorable mention to iconic songs coming from Keith Whitley's "When You Say Nothing at All"

Hank's iconic and his high points match anybody's ... you can't have a discussion about 80s Country without Hank

Love them or hate them, the pure accomplishments of Alabama you can't ignore

Kenny Rogers is a really interesting call out because while most think he's from the 70s, the balance of his hits come from the 80s. The biggest accomplishment that I see with Kenny Rogers is he really was in my view the first country artist that really crossed over successfully to the point where you didn't think you were listening to country. "Lady" is iconic ... somebody smarter than me probably can figure this out but it reached #1 on the Country, Adult Contemporary, and Hot 100 charts ... I suspect the list of songs to reach #1 on all 3 is a short list. I'd also be willing to bet he's one of the few to do it multiple times with "Islands in the Stream" with Dolly Parton ... another purely iconic song. The duet aspect was something that few could match his success there including high charting duets with Kim Carnes and Sheila Easton. His 80s resume is definitely deep enough to be considered here.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,819
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Randy Travis
    Can't much argue against George Strait.

The Throbber just happens to like Randy Travis better.

And since you mentioned Sheena (not Sheila) Easton, you're welcome. brb, jo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mSb6IGCZw
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,297
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sheena Easton got killed on Miami Vice
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,893
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    Tequilla said:

King George is King George ... he's so far and away ahead of anybody else regardless of the decade throughout his career that it's hard to find anybody even close to comparable. Even if you want to ding him for not being the primary song writer (which he was at least involved in the 80s), that's fine ... he still kicks everybody's ass.

As it comes to most iconic songs of the decade, you have to start with Randy Travis as "Forever and Ever Amen" is purely iconic. Honorable mention to iconic songs coming from Keith Whitley's "When You Say Nothing at All"

Hank's iconic and his high points match anybody's ... you can't have a discussion about 80s Country without Hank

Kenny Rogers is a really interesting call out because while most think he's from the 70s, the balance of his hits come from the 80s. The biggest accomplishment that I see with Kenny Rogers is he really was in my view the first country artist that really crossed over successfully to the point where you didn't think you were listening to country. "Lady" is iconic ... somebody smarter than me probably can figure this out but it reached #1 on the Country, Adult Contemporary, and Hot 100 charts ... I suspect the list of songs to reach #1 on all 3 is a short list. I'd also be willing to bet he's one of the few to do it multiple times with "Islands in the Stream" with Dolly Parton ... another purely iconic song. The duet aspect was something that few could match his success there including high charting duets with Kim Carnes and Sheila Easton. His 80s resume is definitely deep enough to be considered here.

So in this exercise, I'm giving each artist one decade. Kenny is a tweener no doubt, but I think this case can be made that most of his best songs came out in the 70s.

Look at Kenny's Greatest Hits Album which was released in Sept 1980. Most of the tracks were 1979 and prior.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(1980_Kenny_Rogers_album)
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    Tequilla said:

So back in the early 1980's my daddy started getting serious into cuntry music. He was a Chevy Dealer in those days and did a lot of advertising on KSON, the big FM station for cuntry in San Diego county. @RaceBannon can attest to this, but rural San Diego county is hick ad fuck and they loved them some KSON radio.

On family road trips my dad can a big case full of Reba, King George, Randy Travis, Lyle Lovett, Hank Jr, Willie, etc. Most of them did nothing for a young Yella Piss (inc King George), but I was enthralled with Hank Jr and Willie from the get go.

I came to appreciate Strait later on in life, and, again, I love his albums from the mid 1980s. But he'll never be on my cuntry Mt Rushmore of Johnny, Merle, Waylon and Willie. George had a top shelf voice but lacks the bad ass life story of the all time greats. Combine this with the lack of songwriting and pressed Wranglers, I'm just not quite there.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    Tequilla said:

Don’t make me drive down to Central Oregon Pisser, take the gloves off, and kick your ass

Bare knuckles or not, you ain't got the reach.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Right in: George Strait
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr

Christ, you spell checker turds. I'm not trying to win the fucking Pulitzer here.

Perfection is the enemy of good.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Randy Travis

Christ, you spell checker turds. I'm not trying to win the fucking Pulitzer here.

Perfection is the enemy of good.
    You would lose the ESPN Spelling Bee - the Pulitzer is for gifted writing not spelling
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,297
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pulitzer was neck and neck with Hearst in slimy journalism

Then he gave Columbia a bunch of money and got an award named after him

According to American Experience he found newspaper religion

Or Hearst won
  • Options
    George Straight

Tequilla said:

Don’t make me drive down to Central Oregon Pisser, take the gloves off, and kick your ass

Bare knuckles or not, you ain't got the reach.
    I don’t fight fair …

I can bull rush you into a wall and then attack the mid section
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Dwight Yokam
    Merle Haggard is the greatest country singer of all tim. Willie and Cash are right there.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    Swaye said:

Merle Haggard is the greatest country singer of all tim. Willie and Cash are right there.

Merle will go into the 60s, although he still has a lot of good work in the early 70s.