Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Greatest (male) country artist/s of the 1980's

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Greatest (male) country artist/s of the 1980's 22 votes

Dwight Yokam
9%
SwayeUW_Doog_Bot 2 votes
Oak Ridge Boys
0%
Alabama
0%
Steve Earl
4%
YouKnowIt 1 vote
George Straight
31%
Mad_SongreenbloodTequillaJaWarrenJaHookerhuskyhooliganBendintheriverFishpo31 7 votes
Hank Williams Jr
31%
AtomicDawgdncalumni94DHDYellowSnowEl_KJoeEDangerously 7 votes
Keith Whitely
0%
John Anderson
0%
Randy Travis
22%
DerekJohnsonPurpleThrobberLebamDawgBleachedAnusDawgStLouisDawg 5 votes
Eddie Rabbit
0%

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    @Swaye queef something outta that red twat of yours. Wanna talk some cuntry music.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Randy Travis
    this is totally unfair - We need to do this so we can pick four. but if I had to pick one I guess I can - just not right now
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    I hate country western music, but I do like me some Bocephus. As Alex Van Halen said Bocephus rules and rules them all.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Randy Travis
    Even during my Bobby Brown/My Prerogative phase, played the living shit out of Randy Travis.

You’ve been too gone for too long...

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Randy Travis
    Only recognize a few of these names. Probably should've voted for Hank as I realized after voting that he did the OG Monday Night Football song (I think).
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2021
    Dwight Yokam
    Im ensuring Dwight gets a vote. I'd also add Ronnie Milsap. Also Kenny Rogers has to be on there.

edit: To be fair a lot of Ronnies work was done in the 70's, but most of his biggest hits were early 80s. He had an absolutely absurd 40 #1 hits.

edit number 2: Don Williams. Another of those guys who got started in the 70's but probably had his heyday in the 80s. I Believe In You is one of the biggest hits ever in country music (1981).

edit number 3: Ricky Scaggs. I know he is bluegrass but he is absolutely essential to any 80's country grouping.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    George Straight
    I voted for George b/c he's got some swing in there, which tied him to Willie, which tied him to Bob Wills, for me. In this time period, I began to pick up on the Alt stuff (Sir Doug, Dwight, Steve E., Rodney Crowell, Jerry Jeff...et.al) and going backwards into the 70's / 60's for Willie, Waylon, Merle, Buck, Johnny, Roger Miller and Charlie Pride.

My roomies in college wore me out on Bocephus and Bama, from which I have not recovered. I still will cherry pick some Jr., as well as John Anderson (Seminole Wind and Swinging, specifically).
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    Swaye said:

Im ensuring Dwight gets a vote. I'd also add Ronnie Milsap. Also Kenny Rogers has to be on there.

edit: To be fair a lot of Ronnies work was done in the 70's, but most of his biggest hits were early 80s. He had an absolutely absurd 40 #1 hits.

edit number 2: Don Williams. Another of those guys who got started in the 70's but probably had his heyday in the 80s. I Believe In You is one of the biggest hits ever in country music (1981).

edit number 3: Ricky Scaggs. I know he is bluegrass but he is absolutely essential to any 80's country grouping.

Ronnie and Don Williams are both tweeners which makes it hard. They were major stars in the second half of the 70s who continued to have success in the early 80s.

Hank Jr is a bit of a tweener too, but he ready didn't break through commercially until 1979 and his biggest period of superstardom was the first half of the 1980's.

Bocephus gets my vote here rather easily. I like King George a lot and his voice was 2nd to none. But when I comes to cuntry, I'm always gonna lean to rough, rowdy, outlaw, honky tonk over the smooth stuff like George Straight or Randy Travis. Plus Hank Jr wrote most of his hits and George did not.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dwight Yokam
    Swaye said:

You should have known I'd vote for Bakersfield sound.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr

Swaye said:

Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr

Swaye said:

To me, Bakersfield, is on the Mt Rushmore of all time most important country music towns.

Being a native Cali Fag who's ancestors come from the valley, I can get behind this.
  • kanehallkanehall Member Posts: 38
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Waylon Jennings. Not even close....
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Hank Williams Jr
    Yoakam*
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    kanehall said:

Waylon Jennings. Not even close....

Wrong decade.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr
    dnc said:

Yoakam*

Cuntry folks don’t spell good. You know this.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    George Straight
    Swaye said:

Outside of The Gambler, I've never been a fan of Kenny. Ronnie Milsap on the other hand, legendary.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hank Williams Jr

Swaye said:

Outside of The Gambler, I've never been a fan of Kenny. Ronnie Milsap on the other hand, legendary.
    Kenny will be in the 70's which is where most of hits came. He had some great stuff outside of the Gambler cliche.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Hank Williams Jr
    Hank Jr can play the shit out of guitar. Writes a lot of his own shit. Also spawned Hank 3 who I play the shit out of to this day.

Only knock I ever had on King George was he doesn’t write his hit songs.

Milsap should be up there.

Basically everybody up there is in my wheelhouse (mid 80’s-late 90’s)