Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Kobe Stopper’s Hero

2»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I stopped following the Sonics around when Gary Payton forced the trade and left town.

GP forced that trade? That's not my memory.
    There's a UW booster that used to attend Sonics practices. He described stuff like Gary refusing to talk to George Karl. So at practice Karl would turn to Grgirich and say "Tell Gary that I want him to XXXXXX", and Gary would turn to Grgurich and said "Tell George I ain't gonna do that."

Anyway, he told me that Gary made it clear to Seattle that he would not resign with them at season's end and wanted out. FYIW
    @sonics1993 ?
    LOL not "Detlef"
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I stopped following the Sonics around when Gary Payton forced the trade and left town.

GP forced that trade? That's not my memory.
    There's a UW booster that used to attend Sonics practices. He described stuff like Gary refusing to talk to George Karl. So at practice Karl would turn to Grgirich and say "Tell Gary that I want him to XXXXXX", and Gary would turn to Grgurich and said "Tell George I ain't gonna do that."

Anyway, he told me that Gary made it clear to Seattle that he would not resign with them at season's end and wanted out. FYIW
    I definitely remember that he and Karl hated each other, and had for years. I thought the Sonics peddled that trade as a favor to GP given his age and that the Bucks were competing for the ECF while the Sonics were hot garbage at that point. As much as he meant to Seattle, I wouldn't have re-signed him for big money at age 34.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had to check but George Karl was fired before the 98 99 season and Gary left during the 2002 season after feuding with new owner Howard Fucking Schultz. The Sonics were dead and buried by then and looking to rebuild which they did although in OKC

Payton chased a ring in LA with Malone then won one in Miami in 05 with the Heat

Both Payton and Kemp said they ran of KC Jones because they were so immature and liked what Karl brought. But Gary did fight him every step of the way

The classic of the back board pass to Kemp and a missed dunked got them benched. Gary said to Kemp - we're going to do it again when he puts us back in

There's a NBA TV special on Kemp and Payton that is must see
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I had to check but George Karl was fired before the 98 99 season and Gary left during the 2002 season after feuding with new owner Howard Fucking Schultz. The Sonics were dead and buried by then and looking to rebuild which they did although in OKC

Payton chased a ring in LA with Malone then won one in Miami in 05 with the Heat

Both Payton and Kemp said they ran of KC Jones because they were so immature and liked what Karl brought. But Gary did fight him every step of the way

The classic of the back board pass to Kemp and a missed dunked got them benched. Gary said to Kemp - we're going to do it again when he puts us back in

Karl was also the coach in Milwaukee when Payton was traded there.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I went to an intrasquad scrimmage at SPU in 1995 …

GP was doing everything he could to get the officials to toss him so he didn’t have to play. Regardless of the abuse George kept telling the officials that they couldn’t T him up or toss him.

Finally in the 4th quarter George nodded and Gary hit the showers …

One of those relationships that while it happened they hated each other’s guts but over time pretty sure they realized they both needed the other
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

I went to an intrasquad scrimmage at SPU in 1995 …

GP was doing everything he could to get the officials to toss him so he didn’t have to play. Regardless of the abuse George kept telling the officials that they couldn’t T him up or toss him.

Finally in the 4th quarter George nodded and Gary hit the showers …

One of those relationships that while it happened they hated each other’s guts but over time pretty sure they realized they both needed the other

For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'what might have been!'
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Once you get past the paternity suits portion, it delivers.