Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Patrick Peterson gets paid more than Sherman

CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Kind of, just a longer contract essentially.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11287261/patrick-peterson-arizona-cardinals-just-having-fun-richard-sherman-feud

He is really puffing out his chest though, I don't know if he will last long.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My inner hook comes out with this debate. It's FS and Peterson has done nothing to suggest he's in Sherman's league.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

My inner hook comes out with this debate. It's FS and Peterson has done nothing to suggest he's in Sherman's league.

The whole thing is a total win for the Hooks. Peterson has helped keep Sherman's name in the spotlight all offseason, his smack talk and his contract are going to motivate Sherman more than ever before, AND thanks to Arizona's FS FO believing that Peterson is in Sherman's class a division rival has now overpaid a good but not great corner by about $5 million per year.

Life is good for the Hooks.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The other thing I love when these things come out is how everybody talks about money this and money that and whatnot.

Yes, guys want to get paid. I absolutely get that. And I'm sure some will tell me I'm full of shit on this stuff.

But the reality is that all of these guys are going to get paid FS money in the grand scheme of things. If you told me that my chances of winning championships is increased if I take say 95% of my market rate and I have an owner with a history of doing everything that he can to provide a winning product and environment, sign me the fuck up because I will end up making money not only with my contract, but also with the number of endorsements that I do both in the short- and long-term because of my name recognition.

Good for Peterson for getting paid. Good for him thinking that he was trying to punk Sherman by throwing the money in his face. Game.Set.Match for Sherman by showing him a picture of his ring.

Results matter.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

The other thing I love when these things come out is how everybody talks about money this and money that and whatnot.

Yes, guys want to get paid. I absolutely get that. And I'm sure some will tell me I'm full of shit on this stuff.

But the reality is that all of these guys are going to get paid FS money in the grand scheme of things. If you told me that my chances of winning championships is increased if I take say 95% of my market rate and I have an owner with a history of doing everything that he can to provide a winning product and environment, sign me the fuck up because I will end up making money not only with my contract, but also with the number of endorsements that I do both in the short- and long-term because of my name recognition.

Good for Peterson for getting paid. Good for him thinking that he was trying to punk Sherman by throwing the money in his face. Game.Set.Match for Sherman by showing him a picture of his ring.

Results matter.

Then you'd be an idiot for turning down the money. Sure, sometimes it might work out. But most of the time the player will just lose that income.

The people that say they'd take less money are the people that haven't done the math. Let's say you get $50 million. Uncle Sam is taking half. Now you're at 25. Your agent is taking 5 to 10%. And not of the 25, he's taking it off that 50 that you never had. Now you're in the low 20s. Buy a house and a car and you're under 20 million. You haven't spent a penny on anything besides a place to live and transportation.

Look, 20 million is a lot of do re mi. But it ain't 1998. Being a millionaire doesn't mean that much. That money isn't nearly as long as you think it is. And it only takes a couple mistakes and it's all gone. Mark Brunell isn't some dumb ass that blew all his money on hookers, blow and child support. But he still lost it all. You get what you can get while you can get it.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    But Peterson always shadows the other team's #1 WR and Sherman has Earl Thomas at safety, that's what I've heard.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Me & some other 12s are going to setup on Edgar Martinez Way this morning to collect money to make sure our Richard Sherman is THE HIGHEST PAID GATDUM SAFETY IN THE EN EPH ELL. Who's with me?!?!?!

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    To me, you're over simplifying.

Uncle Sam takes 40% at most - although state taxes can come into play as well. For instance, being in California costs you almost another 10%. You can offset some of the taxes that you owe through charitable contributions either to your college, high school, etc. which you see often from professional athletes.

You are also minimizing what an agent/agency often does for a player. The range of services provided for that 5-10% is far greater than simply showing up, negotiating a contract, and vanishing until needed for the next time a contract negotiation is needed. Generally speaking, an agent/agency is a managed services situation that provides a full array of services and support to said player as needed.

In some ways, you kind of make my point for me. If you're losing 40-60% of your compensation to taxes and fees, going after say an extra $1-2M per year results in less real dollars. What you're basically saying is that the compensation that I forego (as in money in my pocket) then is less as I pursue winning championships.

Again, by no means am I suggesting that players should take substantially lower than market rates to sign their deals. Never have and never would. However, I would say that a smart player SHOULD consider the implications in real dollars of their decision. Take a player that has a market rate of $10M per year. If he signed for 5% less than his market value, he'd sign for $9.5M instead. If you make the simplistic assumption of 50% for taxes and fees, the "take home" pay for that player is $5M versus $4.75M. In this case, the player is making the decision to put extra money into the team pool to increase the likelihood of winning for $250k. And make no mistake, as with anything else, you make a decision as to what is important to you and how you spend your money. To some, spending $250k a year in pursuit of winning championships is an investment that they'd make. To others, they'd rather spend the $250k on something else.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,358
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Does Peterson have a statue?

That's what I thought
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2014

Tequilla said:

Results matter.

Then you'd be an idiot for turning down the money. Sure, sometimes it might work out. But most of the time the player will just lose that income.

The people that say they'd take less money are the people that haven't done the math. Let's say you get $50 million. Uncle Sam is taking half. Now you're at 25. Your agent is taking 5 to 10%. And not of the 25, he's taking it off that 50 that you never had. Now you're in the low 20s. Buy a house and a car and you're under 20 million. You haven't spent a penny on anything besides a place to live and transportation.

Look, 20 million is a lot of do re mi. But it ain't 1998. Being a millionaire doesn't mean that much. That money isn't nearly as long as you think it is. And it only takes a couple mistakes and it's all gone. Mark Brunell isn't some dumb ass that blew all his money on hookers, blow and child support. But he still lost it all. You get what you can get while you can get it.
    There is nothing wrong with playing for the biggest check possible, but 20 million is still an insane amount of money. It's a matter of perspective. A guy making $200,000 is considered to be at least part of the upper middle class. It would take that guy 100 years to make 20 million.

Mark Brunell is a dumb ass. That's why he lost his money and it's hard to feel sorry for a guy that stupid.