Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anyone Up For Bashing the Kids? DL Version

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I’ll start. The DL has been almost as bad as our OL.

Taki is treading into Talia Crichton territory. He’s not that bad, but damn, I’ve seen very few players do less that have gotten as many starts and as much playing time as him.

Tuli has flashed, but seems no better than he was in 2019. If anything, he’s worse.

Tuitele - Tuitele coming in with a torn pec that I still don’t think is fixed is on him. He had a redshirt year and a covid year to get it fixed. Maybe he isn’t any good, I was never a huge fan, but still. It’s never good when a guy is considered a can’t miss, elite prospect early in his high school career and steadily falls in the rankings.

Bandes - There was a play last year against Utah where Asa Turner purposely played patty cake and weakly dove for the running back instead of putting his head in there. A side note on that play was Bandes got drove back maybe 20 yards by a Utah OL. He dominated camps, but now I’m thinking there was a reason the blue bloods really didn’t want him.

By the third year in the program, a player is no longer young. These guys should be better. Rowan is in his first year on a broken coaching staff, but he’s still the one to blame when the DL sucks. Malloe deserves blame too. Qualls, Gaines, Vea, Levi, and even Jaylen Johnson were all way better than these guys by their third year in the program.

Comments

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    We’re living in a post Gaines world.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,115
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2021
    Taki isn’t quite Chrichton level production but he’s Evan Hudson level
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Taki isn’t quite Chrichton level production but he’s Evan Hudson level

Which would be fine if Taki was playing next to Danny Shelton but he aint. Shelton, Gaines, Vea, Levi... we've been playing a 3-4 defense for the last 8 years with dominant, two-gap interior D lineman. Now that we don't have one of those players on the roster our defense looks like shit.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,115
    Founders Club

It’s front 4 that makes the scheme terrible against the run. Everyone calls for a four man line but if Bowman and McDonald put their hand down, we would be playing with four DL.

The problem is we always play a nickel and line up with two deep safeties (that are also all bad) 95% of the time.

I was worried about safety before the season and have seen nothing to feel comfortable so far.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

I think the DTs are probably just average, but you can't afford to have average DTs to make this scheme work. Vita and Greg Gaines kept us afloat for years, without a super disruptive DT this scheme just gets bludgeoned to death with 4-5 yard runs.

At some point you have to sacrifice some of your pass coverage safety net for more help against the run, but this isn't a new problem. Any good team that commits to the run has controlled the game against us for years. Most of our opponents have just been too dumb (USC 2019 for example) to do it.

Agree with this a lot about our defensive scheme, our offensive philosophy (even pre-Jon Don) does not complement our defensive strategy at all.
    Fuck Dennis and Coker…they were pumping for years to get this shitshow we now have, and NOW they are getting second thoughts?

Those two deserve a 1-11 season more than about any other 2 UW fans out there.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    This team has a lot of.gifted athletes but it takes good coaching to make them productive football players
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I think the DTs are probably just average, but you can't afford to have average DTs to make this scheme work. Vita and Greg Gaines kept us afloat for years, without a super disruptive DT this scheme just gets bludgeoned to death with 4-5 yard runs.

At some point you have to sacrifice some of your pass coverage safety net for more help against the run, but this isn't a new problem. Any good team that commits to the run has controlled the game against us for years. Most of our opponents have just been too dumb (USC 2019 for example) to do it.

Agree with this a lot about our defensive scheme, our offensive philosophy (even pre-Jon Don) does not complement our defensive strategy at all.
    Fuck Dennis and Coker…they were pumping for years to get this shitshow we now have, and NOW they are getting second thoughts?

The ultimate irony is that they spent years on here attacking Petersen as racist because they didn't think he was putting enough effort into recruiting
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

We have never had the offense they now claim is necessary for the defense.