Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

John Donovan Historian Weighs In

Who the fuck decided to hire this guy?
This is the guy that managed to make the same penn state players who roasted washington in the fiesta bowel look like utter doogshit
Did anyone have the opportunity to watch the Washington vs. Montana game? You may not want to because it might trigger you because John Donovan has brought his own brand of incompetency to Seattle in in a losing effort to lowly Montana (didn't play football in 2020). UW got off to a fast start with a TD on their opening drive then was shut out the rest of the way while looking very much like Penn State circa 2014/2015. If you can handle the flashbacks it will likely induce, the entire game is available online. Among the problems the X and O guys and gals will see are the same things that doomed the 2014 and 2015 units under Donovan and company. We were the worst coached offense in Big Ten history in 14 and 15, looks like Donovan is off to a fast start in Seattle.

Some of the things you will see if you look for them.

1. Kitchen sink approach to blocking. AKA, using man, zone and gap blocking and sliding protections schemes on a drive by drive basis.
2. QB pressure on two and three man rushes. Montana didn't get home on a 2 man rush but did on a three.
3. Regularly terminating a three man route concepts in a five yard area allowing Montana to defend three players with two.
4. Limited vertical or horizontal diversity in route trees. For example, running four routes into the middle third of the field.

(https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/john-donovan-strikes-again.303438/)

Someone on there also managed to find the play of the game courtesy of Roger Rosengarten.
It's nice to see that at least one person on the team went into the game with the correct mindset of bullying these big sky losers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZzGN-VDpMU&t=665s

Comments

• Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Apparently time stamp links don't work thanks to the embedding. Go to 11m5s for the big play.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Apparently time stamp links don't work thanks to the embedding. Go to 11m5s for the big play.

UW players were stealing towels, or whatever that was, the whole game. It came off to me as a petty, weak way to make up for getting bullied by the supposedly overmatched underdog.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We? Are fucked.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,464
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No one defended Donovan. No one.

But what unicorn fucking offense do we need? We should probably go RPO/spread. But we never will with this tree.

We sit and circle jerk and eat the donut whenever we get majority top. Like we won a bunch of categories Saturday but you can't have more than 1 turnover. That philosophy is done in college football, or should be.

The angst this weekend: we need to just start over.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cousins live in Seattle and are UW alums with a son currently attending. They have season tickets and husband has attended every home game since the 70s- once even leaving his sister's wedding reception to catch the 2nd half of a game in a deluge while wearing a tux. My cousin said that her hubby was too despondent to speak. He should get used too it...bad flashbacks
  • Options
    LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    There was a highlight when the Montana RB Childs was next to the OL Beavers.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    Standard Supporter
    I'm not sure #77 and #71 are ready to play meaningful snaps @ Michigan.

Luke Twattenberg had a good pancake.

#53 got abused (to the outside) in breaking down and then trying to tackle the Montana RB in the flat on 2nd and 12 in the 4th quarter.

At 17:34, a horrible blitz pick-up and either #77 or Twattenberg missed the DT while blocking an edge rusher (#77) or doubling the other DT (Twattenberg). Montana blitzed 6 to UW's 6 blockers (including the RB).

Morris was mostly awful, missing guys and throwing INTs. He had a woeful under-throw on a WR in one on one and that seemed to shut down the vertical passing game which is never a good idea against an aggressive D bringing heat!

Montana blitzed a lot and ran a lot of stunts so I'm surprised that he didn't try more screens to Davis / McGrew and outside bubble screens (as blitzing OLBs and DBs come in) or an inside screen TE to Culp or Moore?

Would Tedford accept our SOS and come back as a consultant to the offense?

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

I'm not sure #77 and #71 are ready to play meaningful snaps @ Michigan.

Luke Twattenberg had a good pancake.

#53 got abused (to the outside) in breaking down and then trying to tackle the Montana RB in the flat on 2nd and 12 in the 4th quarter.

At 17:34, a horrible blitz pick-up and either #77 or Twattenberg missed the DT while blocking an edge rusher (#77) or doubling the other DT (Twattenberg). Montana blitzed 6 to UW's 6 blockers (including the RB).

Morris was mostly awful, missing guys and throwing INTs. He had a woeful under-throw on a WR in one on one and that seemed to shut down the vertical passing game which is never a good idea against an aggressive D bringing heat!

Montana blitzed a lot and ran a lot of stunts so I'm surprised that he didn't try more screens to Davis / McGrew and outside bubble screens (as blitzing OLBs and DBs come in) or an inside screen TE to Culp or Moore?

Would Tedford accept our SOS and come back as a consultant to the offense?

All well said.. The bolded points are big ones. I think that was Hines who got humiliated by the Montana RB on that crucial play. That was the game right there, or felt like it to me at the time. What the fuck was Hunes doing in there at a time like that? JFC.

Where were the deep balls? They were desperately needed. Maybe Davis and Sawyer can't get separation. Jackson looked fast but not exceptional and is too small to be a consistent deep threat. It needed to be the tight ends, I guess. Culp and Moore have the speed to get downfield. Otton has the hands to win 50:50 balls. At some point a smart coach recognizes the physical advantages and just goes to them. Let players make plays. That's how Shaw always beats UW.

Screen passes should have worked all day long.

Fuck I'm grumpy. I look forward to when UW is 1-5 and we can just laugh at all of this and appreciate what a special thing Lake has accomplished.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    edited September 2021
    53 is Tafisi 35 is Hines
  • Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2021
    Why did I watch that shit again.

Passing offense is a complete dumpster fire. Average Yards Per Completion 8.4, longest completion? 25 yards and that was the 4th down play at the end of the game. Next best? 15 yards to Davis.

DyMo can't throw down the field...Most balls poorly thrown behind receivers or requiring them to slide to catch.

We? Be. Fucked.