Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mario Bailey's comments on Twitter

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Mario strongly implied that anyone criticizing Coach Lake was doing so because of racism.

Mario said that if someone hasn't played football for UW then they do not have the right to criticize.

As if some white coach who has a disastrous recruiting class, hires the NY Jets groundskeeper as his OC, and then caps it off with a loss to Montana, isn't going to be heavily criticized?

Mario and his enabling behavior is part of the overall culture problem at UW.

Comments

• Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Never heard of this dude.

Searched.....

Mario Bailey is a retired American football wide receiver who is the all-time reception leader in NFL Europe. He played for the Frankfurt Galaxy from 1995 through 2000 and was a favorite player for the local German fans. He was originally drafted by the Houston Oilers in the sixth round of the 1992 NFL Draft. Wikipedia

Now I know why.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    definitely racism
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Mario strongly implied that anyone criticizing Coach Lake was doing so because of racism.

Mario said that if someone hasn't played football for UW then they do not have the right to criticize.

As if some white coach who has a disastrous recruiting class, hires the NY Jets groundskeeper as his OC, and then caps it off with a loss to Montana, isn't going to be heavily criticized?

Mario and his enabling behavior is part of the overall culture problem at UW.

He also later created spin when someone called him out for implying the race card

Nobody wants to see Jimmy fail … but at some point results matter
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I want to be clear: I doubt a single person here has been down on Lake because he's black. The language might have fooled some, though. I'm not surprised a black former player might be defensive.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,327
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mario's right, but about the wrong thing. I'm on record that three out of four of the games LAST season were fireable offenses (first and right, btw), but everyone gave a COVID pass for reasons that are still beyond me and instead bitched about the less important aspect of winning that is recruiting (see also: Oregon and USC). Some even were complimentary of the new offense (you know who you are), dooged out over big-dick comebacks (ignoring how inexcusable it is to dig 17 and 21 point first half holes in the first place), and got a boner over the ice-in-veins QB who couldn't play more than one good quarter per game or resist the urge to overthrow every deep ball he attempted.

But, no, it was the recruiting that's the real failure, not just one of many.

And, right or wrong, the language people used to express this frustration--at least here--has been a little loaded, or at least I could see how it would seem so to certain people. The word "lazy" in particular is one known to get the hackles up, yet it came up early and often, in a way that made it seem as if conclusions were being jumped to. Comparisons to Ty aren't helping those optics, either, particularly because their respective incompetence is nothing alike.

Lake needs to be fired. Today. Cohen is ultimately responsible, so start with her. New coach can choose what assistants to boot or keep. But this message would resonate better with some fans and former players if the critics focused from the beginning on coaching, hiring, and, sure, recruiting incompetence instead of, "The offense is improved, the quarterback has a huge dick, this team should roll the conference--oh, but he's lazy and Ty 2.0."

Solid post

You and I were right about the myth of the great talent

And the lazy remarks pissed me off which is why I went after that poster

Then we lost to Montana

Just keep the call for firing classy Nebraska fans
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2021
    It's just a lazy comparison that I have been guilty of as well because it's now plausible that UW goes 0-12.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mario's right, but about the wrong thing. I'm on record that three out of four of the games LAST season were fireable offenses (first and right, btw), but everyone gave a COVID pass for reasons that are still beyond me and instead bitched about the less important aspect of winning that is recruiting (see also: Oregon and USC). Some even were complimentary of the new offense (you know who you are), dooged out over big-dick comebacks (ignoring how inexcusable it is to dig 17 and 21 point first half holes in the first place), and got a boner over the ice-in-veins QB who couldn't play more than one good quarter per game or resist the urge to overthrow every deep ball he attempted.

And, right or wrong, the language people used to express this frustration--at least here--has been a little loaded, or at least I could see how it would seem so to certain people. The word "lazy" in particular is one known to get the hackles up, yet it came up early and often, in a way that made it seem as if conclusions were being jumped to. Comparisons to Ty aren't helping those optics, either, particularly because their respective incompetence is nothing alike.

Lake needs to be fired. Today. Cohen is ultimately responsible, so start with her. New coach can choose what assistants to boot or keep. But this message would resonate better with some fans and former players if the critics focused from the beginning on coaching, hiring, and, sure, recruiting incompetence instead of, "The offense is improved, the quarterback has a huge dick, this team should roll the conference--oh, but he's lazy and Ty 2.0."

Solid post

Then we lost to Montana

The lazy remarks have persisted to this day, from multiple posters. It's a consensus, not an outlier.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    Founders Club

Solid post

Then we lost to Montana

Why is asking if someone who happens to be black racist? It takes a lot of effort and commitment to be great at anything.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Solid post

Then we lost to Montana

The lazy remarks have persisted to this day, from multiple posters. It's a consensus, not an outlier.
    Is he lazy or is the charge unjustified? I recall Helfrich and he staff being called a "lazy" recruiters. Can you call a black person lazy if they are lazy?