Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle's Greatest Dive Bar?

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I like a good Scotch Ale when done right. Not a ton that I've ever gotten in to. The oak-aged version of that Silver City is much better than the Magnificent Bastard, IMO.

I think the best ever was Grant's. But Bridgeport brewed a goddamn'd fine and delicious Scotch Ale for awhile, before they shut down. And Silver City does a decent job with their recipes, but I've drank some really shitty Scotch ales over the years, too.

Bert Grant had that shit dialed in, and obviously had his own guys in there. But that's all gone now, thanks to posthumous family squabbles. Fuck.
  • Options

I didn’t read the whole thread, but if the Tug Inn wasn’t mentioned you should be ashamed. I know it’s closed, but still.

If you’re ever near the Portland airport I defy you to find a divier dive than the Glass House.

https://katu.com/news/local/police-investigate-shooting-at-glass-house-tavern-in-northeast-portland

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2018/10/one_dead_one_injured_in_shooti.html

I don't think the Tug closed for Covid.

More likely hepatitis or crabs.
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Sloop Tavern
    The Viking(RIP) and Sloop are my neck of the woods. Great spots on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,836
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Mike's Chili Parlor

Earl's. Might not be divey enough versus the field here, but great spot to be overpoured and it was a block from my apartment during college.

Earl's was kinda dumpy but always felt more upscale than some other close to UW spots.

Major ommission on my part with the Baranoff in Greenwood. That place is ruff. I once got put in a headlock by a 250 lb black lady there once. Good times.

I used to live in Greenhood out of college. I went in there once. I left after 30 seconds. There was another place across the street that was alight, but I forgot the name of it.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,836
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Mike's Chili Parlor
    I only went to Dante's a couple times, but this little shit bartender kicked us out over nothing because this chick (wood, sort of tried) was being semi loud. Faggot.
  • Options
    I can't believe the Shipwreck in the Tacoma/Fife Tideflats isn't on the list. Moreover, if you never got drunk at the Java Jive in the Nalley Valley, you missed a truly Twin Peaks-like dive bar experience. The Rolling Log and the H&H Saloon deserve Honorable mentions, too, btw.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,496
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off....

chuck said:

Delicious Scotch Ale, brewed near Gorst. Unbeatable.
    Perfect for Dive bars hovering along at 9.2% ABV.

As a guysm who is 1/8 Scots, let me tell you this: Scottish ale is some thick, syruppy, undrinkable sludge.

I forget. I'm either 1/4 or 1/8 Scottish. There's some blurring of the lines back in the 12th-14th centuries.

Anyways, both Scotch and Scottish ales are pure swill. My brother loves them. He loves what he faggily refers to as "big beers". Gawd what a homo. That shit ain't beer. At least "flower milk", aka IPA or regular pale ale I suppose, is actual beer.
    Then how would you classify Guiness, Scottie?

I know "if it's not Scottish, It's Crap!" But still.
    It's a stout.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

I can't believe the Shipwreck in the Tacoma/Fife Tideflats isn't on the list. Moreover, if you never got drunk at the Java Jive in the Nalley Valley, you missed a truly Twin Peaks-like dive bar experience. The Rolling Log and the H&H Saloon deserve Honorable mentions, too, btw.

"Seattle's Greatest Dive Bar". @RaceBannon can handle the South Sound. I think the only bar I've been to in Tacoma was the Katie Down's for date.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,496
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off....

"Seattle's Greatest Dive Bar". @RaceBannon can handle the South Sound. I think the only bar I've been to in Tacoma was the Katie Down's for date.
    Katie Down's sucks. Nice location, though.
  • Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    Back before the "Camp Bar" appeared in Tacoma, there was a bar in the same place called Acme Tavern and it also said "Acme Grub Cage". That place was divey. Favorite Dive Bar in tacoma, currently, is a neighborhood tavern called Terry's Office Tavern. Best fries in Tacoma.

This place on Sprague in Tacoma seems to fit dive bar status as well, but I have not gone yet. https://www.yelp.com/biz/home-plate-tavern-tacoma

• Options

Sorry, thought it said "Seattle's Gayest Dive Bar." My Bad.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,543
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Blue Moon

that would be the Comet or the Elite - made a mistake of meeting a couple of friends at the Elite once. We did not stay long, just long enough to get a couple of good leads on dating (insert faggy wink)
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Duchess

LebamDawg said:

that would be the Comet or the Elite - made a mistake of meeting a couple of friends at the Elite once. We did not stay long, just long enough to get a couple of good leads on dating (insert faggy wink)
    Remember when Gay Bars were a thing? Now that every Seattle bar and neighborhood is gay AF, there should be Hetero Bars for regulars to go to.
    You should move away from Sodom and Gomorrah, Bomber. Not good for your mental health.
  • Options

LebamDawg said:

Remember when Gay Bars were a thing? Now that every Seattle bar and neighborhood is gay AF, there should be Hetero Bars for regulars to go to.
    You should move away from Sodom and Gomorrah, Bomber. Not good for your mental health.
    I'm fortunate to still have my go-to watering holes to drink and circle-jerk at.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

As a guysm who is 1/8 Scots, let me tell you this: Scottish ale is some thick, syruppy, undrinkable sludge.

I forget. I'm either 1/4 or 1/8 Scottish. There's some blurring of the lines back in the 12th-14th centuries.

Anyways, both Scotch and Scottish ales are pure swill. My brother loves them. He loves what he faggily refers to as "big beers". Gawd what a homo. That shit ain't beer. At least "flower milk", aka IPA or regular pale ale I suppose, is actual beer.

I love Guiness. It's a pretty light, low alcohol "big beer" (dark beer), and thus my faggy brother doesn't like it.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,308
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pacific Inn
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I love Guiness. It's a pretty light, low alcohol "big beer" (dark beer), and thus my faggy brother doesn't like it.
    Guinness is what I drink when I'm starting to seriously worry about both my liver and BMI but still want to have four beers. It's awesome.
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    The RimRock in lake city. $2 tip on first drink and rest of the night was heavy pours.

I vaguely remember one night that included a table top singing of the Korean national anthem with an ex Korean colonel.

Green lantern in wallingford. Give you. 2 pitchers of beer for each 6 month AA token you had. Knew their market.
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited August 2021
    The Rez

No love for the Alki Tavern or the Moon Temple Cocktail Lounge.

Bunch of North End Provincials on these boreds. Not even the Buckaroo.

What's wrong with you people?

That said, I was in the Blue Moon once with a hot lady friend who asked the bartender for a cleann ashtray, whereupon the gray haired dude grabbed the ashtray, dumped it on the floor, and tossed it back onto the table.

Now that's a fucking Dive for ya.

Great call on the Alki Tavern. Many many nights I crawled out of there on my lips.