Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cole Hamels got paid $1 million by Dodgers without throwing an inning

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2021
    This is why baseball is “the greatest game of them all”...google “Bobby Bonilla day” for confirmation...

Edit: Thanks, Taft!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know that @Fishpo31 was there. Baseball was our first big sport and until 1970 or so the players had no rights and the owner's had the reserve clause and the pay was horrible. Ball Four takes a good look at this in the 60's with the Yankees who had the biggest stars. And only the biggest stars got close to 6 figures

Marvin Miller changed everything. Now the strongest union by far with salaries that don't seem to match the waning interest in baseball but there they are

The NBA is second for the union. Both have guaranteed contracts.

Then America's Game the NLF with no guaranteed contracts are finally being dragged to up the up front guaranteed money. The most dangerous sport with the shortest lifespan pays the worst. Go figure
    edited August 2021

I know that @Fishpo31 was there. Baseball was our first big sport and until 1970 or so the players had no rights and the owner's had the reserve clause and the pay was horrible. Ball Four takes a good look at this in the 60's with the Yankees who had the biggest stars. And only the biggest stars got close to 6 figures

Marvin Miller changed everything. Now the strongest union by far with salaries that don't seem to match the waning interest in baseball but there they are

The NBA is second for the union. Both have guaranteed contracts.

Then America's Game the NLF with no guaranteed contracts are finally being dragged to up the up front guaranteed money. The most dangerous sport with the shortest lifespan pays the worst. Go figure

You speak the truth...My college roomie's dad made the big league roster with the Reds out of spring training in '59, and retired when notified he was about to be a father, to take a job with Weyerhaeuser (tuff, logging camp kind of guy)...Your Ball Four reference makes me want to go pound a Budweiser...

Edit: The average MLB salary in '59 was $17,000, and IIR, he told me the contract offered was for $7,000.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Seattle Pilots were like the Sonics in that they were born when I was a yute and impressionable. Listened to many a game under the covers on the transistor. Tommy Harper stealing bases.

When Ball Four came out I used to read it every spring for years. Might need to read it again

The Seattle Pilots were like the Sonics in that they were born when I was a yute and impressionable. Listened to many a game under the covers on the transistor. Tommy Harper stealing bases.

When Ball Four came out I used to read it every spring for years. Might need to read it again

#metoo