Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

DeFi

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btB__oHQ0sU&t=688s

Started to dip my toes into DeFi and crypto liquidity pools these last few weeks. Absolutely bonkers returns out there(1,000% apy+) but obviously volatility at the high end of the return scale. Still, tons of nice returns in liquidity for stable coins which if you are scared of those why are you even reading this thread?

Considering liquidating the rest of my money market funds to swap for stable coin pools(20%+ APY). I'm looking at the potential for decentralized finance and think we are just playing with the tip at this point.

Comments

• louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 330
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Yeah, the price action in crypto is bonkers but it's also the wild west. I was getting sold on Bitcoin until I found out about Tether. If the biggest, most popular coin can have this gigantic hole in the fundamentals of the market then any of the coins can have this hole. It's still way too crazy for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4masjd4Jos
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah, the price action in crypto is bonkers but it's also the wild west. I was getting sold on Bitcoin until I found out about Tether. If the biggest, most popular coin can have this gigantic hole in the fundamentals of the market then any of the coins can have this hole. It's still way too crazy for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4masjd4Jos

Who owns Tether in place of BTC? People in crypto trusts and pools etc? Maybe I'm just ignorant of a layer of investment but all of my btc and crypto are owned directly and not as derivatives etc. I own a small amount of Tether but nothing that would effect my portfolio even if it tanked.

You can argue that it's endemic and toxic to the whole crypto market but no more so than the fed printing dollars is inflating the price. Tether has a cap of $60B vs. BTC has a cap of $750B so even if a shell game is happening it still isn't one that seems like it would destroy the total value of BTC.

@sonics1993 bump into this thred btw.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I thought Tether was an even bigger pyramid scheme than Bitcoin? Pretty sure I have read several articles about lawsuits, too.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I thought Tether was an even bigger pyramid scheme than Bitcoin? Pretty sure I have read several articles about lawsuits, too.

I think Tether is definitely dodgy which is why my portfolio has very little of it (from being in a liquidity pool no less). The argument revolves around if Tether is big enough(and bad enough) to take down the rest of the crypto market.

Crypto is definitely the wild west. If you are an Old and want basic returns and traditional security then what cunt would click on this thred?

If you are young, a first mover, and/or not risk averse then it's an interesting space to be experimenting in.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,681
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The house always wins. Warren on board to protect the establishment. Defi in the cross hairs

Swaye's Wigwam

The house always wins. Warren on board to protect the establishment. Defi in the cross hairs

Lol it's fine if they want 1/1062 of crypto profits.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Lol it's fine if they want 1/1062 of crypto profits.
    Believe it or not, I think they are most worried about crypto stable coins
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There was a thread here wondering why crypto guys were saying Warren was a tool of big banking

Just a follow up on that

Swaye's Wigwam

There was a thread here wondering why crypto guys were saying Warren was a tool of big banking

Just a follow up on that

She is. What the average low IQ dem liberal doesn't realize is that the big banks embrace higher regulatory oversight. It creates barriers to competition and helps eliminate the "not too big to fail" banks.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rule 1

Regulations help the big guy and crush the little guy. It's science. The big guys pay for the regulations they want
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Rule 1

Regulations help the big guy and crush the little guy. It's science. The big guys pay for the regulations they want

That's a dumb oversimplification. Especially when repealing regulation is what gave us the TBTFs in the first place.
    edited August 2021

Rule 1

That's a dumb oversimplification. Especially when repealing regulation is what gave us the TBTFs in the first place.
    I agree to a point. It isn't created to help the big guys, but it's generally the undesirable ending consequence. Regulations tend to be convoluted, and the big guys have the money and resources to find ways around them or take advantage of them, while the little guys don't.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Rule 1

No

It isn't
    edited August 2021

Rule 1

I agree to a point. It isn't created to help the big guys, but it's generally the undesirable ending consequence. Regulations tend to be convoluted, and the big guys have the money and resources to find ways around them or take advantage of them, while the little guys don't.
    Sort of. Probably most of the time even. But still an oversimplification. In the Glass Steagall reference I alluded to, no amount of corporate wizardry was ever going to create conglomerates as large as the ones that emerged and held our economy hostage when that barrier was blown up. Smart regulation is hard, but it's not impossible.
    edited August 2021

Rule 1

Sort of. Probably most of the time even. But still an oversimplification. In the Glass Steagall reference I alluded to, no amount of corporate wizardry was ever going to create conglomerates as large as the ones that emerged and held our economy hostage when that barrier was blown up. Smart regulation is hard, but it's not impossible.
    Have you seen the roster we currently trot out there in Washington? A bunch of Clay’s and Jimmy’s. We are fucked Gator
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Rule 1

Who hires the lobbyists to write the regulations in the first place?

doogie said:

Rule 1

Who hires the lobbyists to write the regulations in the first place?

You should look into getting paid for this hard hitting insight. Not quite $10.95 worthy, but damn close.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Rule 1

High barriers to entry(from regulation) and market interventionism is what created the need for Glass Steagall in the first place.