Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Defensive backs remain a huge liability

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
39. Kyler Gordon, Washington, cornerback
Jimmy Lake has developed some elite defensive backs, but he’s called Gordon the most athletic one he’s had. The 6-foot, 200-pound junior, who has a background in dance, kung fu and ballet, has added five more pounds of bulk this offseason but still retained his unreal flexibility and jumping ability. Gordon has vertical jumped 42.5 and clocked a mercurial pro agility time of 3.87 seconds. On the field, Gordon made honorable mention All-Pac-12 each of the past two seasons.

40. Trent McDuffie, Washington, cornerback
The other half of the most athletic corner tandem in the country, 5-11, 195-pound junior McDuffie had a 41.5-inch vertical at Washington’s combine in June, which was the best on the team that day, and also had the best broad jump at 10-9.5. In two seasons, McDuffie has 59 tackles, two interceptions, three forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and four passes defended.

College Football Freaks List (paywall)

Comments

• TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Bowman makes the list as well

64. Ryan Bowman, Washington, outside linebacker
    Two years ago, the 6-1, 280-pounder earned second-team All-Pac-12 honors after making 9.5 TFLs, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. Bowman has 25.5 career TFLs but only got to play in two games in an abbreviated seasons, so some may have forgotten about him but he’s an explosive dude. He’s vertical jumped 38.5-inches, broad jumped 10 feet and clocked a 6.75-second 3-cone time. He also has benched 405 for three reps, done a box squat of 720 pounds and deadlifted 680 for two reps.

Good information ~ I Didn't realize that he was that athletic and had always assumed that he was an over achiever that was getting his success as a result of heart and desire [of course getting in that kinda shape and honing your physical skill set is all about that...]
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,936 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Two years ago, the 6-1, 280-pounder earned second-team All-Pac-12 honors after making 9.5 TFLs, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. Bowman has 25.5 career TFLs but only got to play in two games in an abbreviated seasons, so some may have forgotten about him but he’s an explosive dude. He’s vertical jumped 38.5-inches, broad jumped 10 feet and clocked a 6.75-second 3-cone time. He also has benched 405 for three reps, done a box squat of 720 pounds and deadlifted 680 for two reps.

But is he ELITE?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Good information ~ I Didn't realize that he was that athletic and had always assumed that he was an over achiever that was getting his success as a result of heart and desire [of course getting in that kinda shape and honing your physical skill set is all about that...]
    Sneaky athletic

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,941 Swaye's Wigwam
    Bowman is an animal as I've been saying for a couple of years (yes that's kind of a pumpyesque thing ro say. Fuck off.

He might defy the flatbed truck evaluators and get drafted. It shouldn't come as a surprise at all, provided he stays healthy this season.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Bowman is an animal as I've been saying for a couple of years (yes that's kind of a pumpyesque thing ro say. Fuck off.

He might defy the flatbed truck evaluators and get drafted. It shouldn't come as a surprise at all, provided he stays healthy this season.

Our two best players are walkons.

Yes, Eddie and Bowman are better than McDuffie at the college level
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

chuck said:

Whut?? McDuffie has been the best DB on the team the moment he started as freshman. What are you smoking. If you said Gordon that would make sense but not McDuffie
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

TommySQC said:

This will be the best WR group UW has had since 2016.

Cook it.

Not saying much. Who was the worthless UW beat writer before Vogel? I remember in 2018 he posted an article listing WR as a strength with Fuller, Baccelli, Jones. God fucking awful.
    Jude
    how could I forget?

also.*Vorel
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

chuck said:

McDuffie
    Eddie
    Otton
    Kirkland

I like bowman but at absolute best he comes in fifth.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,366 Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

chuck said:

Whut?? McDuffie has been the best DB on the team the moment he started as freshman. What are you smoking. If you said Gordon that would make sense but not McDuffie
    Molden and Bryant led the DBs that year
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

McDuffie
    Eddie
    Otton
    Kirkland

I meant defense

I think Eddie and Bowman do more for us than Trent, and a big reason why is the depth. They are indispensable
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,562 Founders Club
    Tight Coverage = Not getting open
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,941 Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

chuck said:

McDuffie
    Eddie
    Otton
    Kirkland

I meant defense

I think Eddie and Bowman do more for us than Trent, and a big reason why is the depth. They are indispensable
    It's hard to rate a corner who never gets thrown at. He just needs a pick six and/or a punt return TD and his perceived value will go way up.

I'm a Bowman fan and he is important as a run stopper on the edge. He's been underrated and I hate my TBS friends for the disrespect they've heaped on him for not fitting the "elite" classification. He's too short and too unrecruited for them. Pretty faggy to cling to that at this point but I assume they all still do.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,576 Founders Club

Tight Coverage = Not getting = dropsopen

Tight Coverage = Not getting open = drops by the quitters who left
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Canadawg said:

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

Sure they led, but the best DB on that team was McDuffie
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,366 Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Canadawg said:

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

Sure they led, but the best DB on that team was McDuffie
    If you mean talent wise yea maybe but molden was obviously way better nd more important than Duff that year