Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

"USC football summer workouts voluntary, but it doesn't feel that way"

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

"It's 7:30 a.m. on a Friday and the USC football team is working out like it's the week before the Rose Bowl.

There are enough Trojans here to fill two full offensive and defensive units and then some, so players rotate in and out during full-speed, no-contact situational scrimmages. On the sidelines, student managers hold up large signs with pictures that form a code calling for the next play.

The NCAA has rules that limit a team's practice time, so coaches can't be present and these workouts are theoretically voluntary. So instructions are barked from players to players.

This scene isn't unique to USC. Many of the nation's top programs have well-attended voluntary summer workouts. But it is something new to USC, where under former coach Lane Kiffin attendance at these sessions was relatively sparse and nowhere close to the same intensity.

Even though USC coaches are not allowed to take part in the practices or even receive reports about them, first-year Coach Steve Sarkisian made it a point to emphasize the importance of these voluntary sessions when he had the team together for spring practice. With a new coaching staff bringing in new strategies and philosophies, there was a sense of urgency.

The only guidance the players receive is from the school's strength and conditioning staff, which is allowed to work with team members for eight hours a week. That allotment includes twice-weekly 6 a.m. runs. "After that, it's on them to get themselves organized for the player-run practices," said Ivan Lewis, a USC strength and conditioning coach. "As soon as we leave, they are ready to rock and roll."

Kessler has been pleased with the results. "A lot more people are showing up and it's a lot more organized in the sense of guys not sitting down or messing around," he said. "This year, I feel like our workouts have been great."

The Trojans have been convening twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. An unofficial count last Friday found 64 Trojans on the field for voluntary work in preparation for the opening of training camp Aug. 4."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-football-20140722-story.html

What a cool week to be a Trojan, man.

Comments

• fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Just wait til Ivan gets ahold of them.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    why does it not surprise me that their most intense practices are when Sark isn't even involved... When Dude Brah gets involved they'll be working on their dance moves to show how loose and confident they are on the field.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,493 Standard Supporter
    Meek said:

why does it not surprise me that their most intense practices are when Sark isn't even involved... When Dude Brah gets involved they'll be working on their dance moves to show how loose and confident they are on the field.

Grow up, dude.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,390 Swaye's Wigwam
    If another team starts stemming....they are screwed.

Best attended summer workouts ever.

So far it's going to script, lot's of talk about how great it's going and how things are really going to be different....then he has actually coach games.

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    So who's leading Husky Jacks anyway?
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    upvoted for "looking like a System of a Down roadie"

haie said:

I can't believe such a large part of that fanbase has stooped low enough to buy the bullshit. Even with all the onseason national championships and real bragging rights they've still managed to devolve into a spawning ground of troojs.

Plus fucking Erin Andrews while looking like a System of a Down roadie and being that mediocre at everything? Sark must be the ultimate salesman.

Best Armenian joke yet on HCH?
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    Another offseason natty for Sark!
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Hmmm.... maybe but, he was never going to close Garnett, Walker Williams and/or Banner. Funny thing was, 2 of those three would have gone to UW in a heartbeat but knew Sark was a douche and they didn't want to have to change coaches mid stream.... at least that's what I heard them say publicly in a small group.
    haie said:

I can't believe such a large part of that fanbase has stooped low enough to buy the bullshit. Even with all the onseason national championships and real bragging rights they've still managed to devolve into a spawning ground of troojs.

Plus fucking Erin Andrews while looking like a System of a Down roadie and being that mediocre at everything? Sark must be the ultimate salesman.

• puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Meek said:

Grow up, dude.

Meek said:

Grow up, dude.
    Grow up? Those words don't apply here.

Meek said:

Grow up, dude.

Meek said:

Grow up, dude.
    Grow up? Those words don't apply here.
  • UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member Posts: 3,475
    Trojans are 4-2 in off-season voluntary workouts; not where they wanted to be but the fun is back.

SevenWin is rumored to have talked three beer bitches into abortions, maybe 4 or possibly 5. Special off-season so far
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    i think it was referencing the Bleacher Report "article"... I wasn't offended either way.