Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What to do with huge winners after they've jumped shark (my case Intel)

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
First stock I ever bought in 95. Cost basis today is at 5, so Capital Gains would be painful

It's a broke stock who is the JV version of IBM in terms of knowing where to go or what to do. It does pay out a nice dividend, and with as many shares as I have, the amount is not insignificant to my small portfolio.

For others who have stocks like that, did you end up selling it in pieces, ride it out, sell all and redeploy that amount into something better, etc.

Be interested in what others did.

Gracias

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    godawgst said:

First stock I ever bought in 95. Cost basis today is at 5, so Capital Gains would be painful

It's a broke stock who is the JV version of IBM in terms of knowing where to go or what to do. It does pay out a nice dividend, and with as many shares as I have, the amount is not insignificant to my small portfolio.

For others who have stocks like that, did you end up selling it in pieces, ride it out, sell all and redeploy that amount into something better, etc.

Be interested in what others did.

Gracias

If Intel represents a high percentage of your portfolio, sell some. The tax consequence will sting but with Intel's cloudy future, that's what I would do.

If you don't need the dividend income you can roll the proceeds into a tax efficient investment that doesn't pay a dividend and offset some of the long-term gain.