Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Netflix beats expectations for new subscribers, misses on guidance

Comments

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I'm not surprised. People think Netflix is king, and right now it is. But that pie now has HULU, Disney+, Peacock, Prime, AMC+, Sling, Apple, HBO Max, and probably 10-15 others I'm missing. There's just too much competition for the growth investors are expecting from Netflix. Netflix will transition into a value stock quicker than many expect.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm not surprised. People think Netflix is king, and right now it is. But that pie now has HULU, Disney+, Peacock, Prime, AMC+, Sling, Apple, HBO Max, and probably 10-15 others I'm missing. There's just too much competition for the growth investors are expecting from Netflix. Netflix will transition into a value stock quicker than many expect.

If it becomes a value stock as you predict where does it's stock price go?

At current level it's priced as if it was 5 years ago and they are the only streaming service out there.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Netflix still has the best interface, features, etc, and while I don't have the figures I don't see how they aren't producing the most content, too. Until other companies produce as much and upgrade their apps, Netflix will still be the favorite. But I do expect the gap to close, too.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Netflix still has the best interface, features, etc, and while I don't have the figures I don't see how they aren't producing the most content, too. Until other companies produce as much and upgrade their apps, Netflix will still be the favorite. But I do expect the gap to close, too.

Netflix’s licensing in Europe>>>>USA. US Netflix sucks in comparison
    edited July 2021
    godawgst said:

If it becomes a value stock as you predict where does it's stock price go?

At current level it's priced as if it was 5 years ago and they are the only streaming service out there.
    Netflix is now rolling out into gaming, which will be a great addition. But then they'll just be in competition with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo in the field too. Netflix is just so big to continue it's growth pace, but not big enough to squash additional competition, because the competition also has large wallets. This isn't Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. They want to be, but they aren't and they won't.

The future I think leads them into more and more original programing and creating stock value through a modest dividend yield.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2021

Being the first in the market helps too. People already have Netflix and are too lazy or poor to get every other streaming service.

A sports network could have better content and lots of money behind it, but won’t overtake ESPN.

Being the first in the market helps too. People already have Netflix and are too lazy or poor to get every other streaming service.

A sports network could have better content and lots of money behind it, but won’t overtake ESPN.
    That is true, which makes it a great value company down the road. But extreme growth will be hard to come by.