Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Police fed up with failed homeless policies in California: It's insanity

Comments

• Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,454
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    WHen you step back and take a look at this whole thing, one undeniable fact is very obvious: Even though the majority hate what the homeless policies of far left rats have done to their once beautiful state, even though there is a serious recall effort against the Governor who at one point was a shoe in for the party nomination for President, the far left is not budging. This mess could have been taken care of right after it started. They simply refuse to act.

They don't care how ugly the streets get. It is all about their politics and hopefully everyone understands that.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2021
    Kobe has the solution. Replace them with mall cops.
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    People that question progressive policies are a threat to democracy.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,332
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    What are some serious ideas about helping the homeless problem? I don’t knownif the following is true but I've heard 1/3 of homeless don't want to be there and can be helped, another 3rd have serious mental health issues and the other 3rd are strung out on drugs. Do we need to open mental institutions for the sick? Do we need to open camps for those who want to work and get back on their feet but strictly enforce no drug policies? I see the problem getting worse and I would like to help but don't really know how.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,131
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

RoadTrip said:

What are some serious ideas about helping the homeless problem? I don’t knownif the following is true but I've heard 1/3 of homeless don't want to be there and can be helped, another 3rd have serious mental health issues and the other 3rd are strung out on drugs. Do we need to open mental institutions for the sick? Do we need to open camps for those who want to work and get back on their feet but strictly enforce no drug policies? I see the problem getting worse and I would like to help but don't really know how.

Pretty basic - you nailed it.

And if there was a place for segregation, it's the homeless. You can't throw a mentally ill person into a shelter with drug addicts. You can't throw a domestic violence/unemployed person in with mentally ill people. Except that's how it ends up at a large number of no-barrier shelters that are funded by municipalities.

As a society, we have to seriously reconsider the mental institution model. Not the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest/Frontal Lobotomy approach but actual facilities where the mentally ill can be housed. After proper evaluation, consent from family members, etc., the severely mentally ill need to be put away for the protection of themselves and others.

For the drug addicted, go to the source - big pharma and physicians. Prosecute the fuck out of them and they'll quit giving out oxy like it's candy. And maybe show some cajones against the Chinese and drug cartels who are flooding the country with synthetics.

If you get those two segments isolated, the third can have a path to finding their way back out of temporary homelessness. There's tons of programs out there to help. But if that segment is at-risk to fall into one of the other two, those programs are less effective. Unemployed guy is but a couple of bad trips away from being drug addict guy.

Heroin, meth and most fentanyl are not being prescribed. Prescription oxy is pretty hard to get today and prescriptions are of much smaller quantities and tougher to refill. You would need to lock up the addicts somewhere. The problem is that unless you ran the camps like Sheriff Joe did in Arizona, the cost gets really high. Put them in tents, with limited visiting access and limited legal appeal rights. (Just make them have to follow the same appeal rights that regular citizens have to follow. No appeal written in Spanish on a napkin and the cost of the appeal filing required.)
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

Arrest and jail those who commit crimes and put them in forced rehabilitation. That is half of why the homeless populations have exploded. Also, decriminalizing and not enforcing anti-drug laws has led to a rise in opioid use.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Ban standardized testing
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Reagan emptied the mental hospitals

Nothing we can do
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,131