Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tell me you're a bitch ass beta white boy without telling me you're a bitch ass beta white boy

2»

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,702
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021
    haie said:

haie said:

Basketball has been ruined by analytics and the 3-point line. The ratings don't lie. Watching each team chuck 40 threes a game is boring.

This

I could care less about their political stances, unlike many people. The product itself is an eyesore.
    I wanted to add to this.

The 2002 Dallas Mavericks led the league in scoring with 103.1 ppg. This year, the lowest scoring team in the league scored 103.8 ppg. The league has become a joke.
    Eh, the basketball was bad back then. Two guys 6’10” or taller mucking it up in the paint and 6’6” shooting guards going 7-20 mostly on tough mid range jumpers.

It’s better now than it was in 2002.
    Disagree. There is almost no post presence in the game anymore. Also, much less attacking the paint to finish thanks to analytics that say shoot 40 threes a game and hit 33% of them and you're probably a point ahead. Watching a game where the ball going in the basket one out of three times is better than one out of two times is ass backwards.

The players also have given up on playing defense. Personally, I prefer to watch a challenge for both sides and elite athletes doing very athletic things. I also don't like video game football, though, so what the hell do I know?
    There is a post presence except that the combination of size and skill plus passing ability is too hard to find. I can think of 4 centers off the top of my head that can do it effectively but that's about it.

To your point, defense is non existent except for the top teams because of the bullshit foul calls. If you aren't altering someone's shot/slash it shouldn't be a foul. Touching someone's wrist/shoulder/whatever shouldn't be a foul.

There is seemingly 3-4 teams with enough size and skill to play at both ends with the current rules. Everyone else is undersized and has to get hot shooting.
    There is plenty of post play. Jokic, Giannis, AD, Embiid, etc. Those guys are good.

I get the criticism of analytics hurting the game, but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as you. The 6’10” PF or stiff center no linger have use and play 35 minutes every game. The players are more skilled.
    You named 3 of my 4.

I don't think analytics hurts the game, it's aesthetically pleasing to see 3-4 passes to a semi-open 3 in the corner swish. The shooting is unreal now.

I just can't stand the foul calling system to where it's a strategy to run a play where you're 40% trying to actually make the shot and 60% trying to show menial contact to get free throws. It's ruining regular season games, where most of the teams are pretty even and it comes down to 3-5 possessions.

Still love the league overall. And it's not like they've ruined their sport like the NHL did.
    🍻💩🍻
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,518
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Basketball has been ruined by analytics and the 3-point line. The ratings don't lie. Watching each team chuck 40 threes a game is boring.

This

I could care less about their political stances, unlike many people. The product itself is an eyesore.
    I wanted to add to this.

The 2002 Dallas Mavericks led the league in scoring with 103.1 ppg. This year, the lowest scoring team in the league scored 103.8 ppg. The league has become a joke.
    Eh, the basketball was bad back then. Two guys 6’10” or taller mucking it up in the paint and 6’6” shooting guards going 7-20 mostly on tough mid range jumpers.

Disagree. There is almost no post presence in the game anymore. Also, much less attacking the paint to finish thanks to analytics that say shoot 40 threes a game and hit 33% of them and you're probably a point ahead. Watching a game where the ball going in the basket one out of three times is better than one out of two times is ass backwards.

The players also have given up on playing defense. Personally, I prefer to watch a challenge for both sides and elite athletes doing very athletic things. I also don't like video game football, though, so what the hell do I know?
    The mvp of the league is the best post player since Shaq in his prime. But still
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2021
    The NBA is an attempted pick n roll followed by either a drive into 3 guys or a dish to one of 3 hanging on the 3 pt line to take an uncontested shot.

The most exciting part of the game was a fast break after a steal. Now it’s a guy passing up a dunk or a layup to again, pass out to one of said 3 guys standing at the line.

Once Curry and Bron are gone, it will further devolve in popularity to the 3rd tier sport it was before Bird, Magic and Jordan showed up.

The guys that are left to pass the torch to have little to no appeal off the court.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

This

I wanted to add to this.

The mvp of the league is the best post player since Shaq in his prime. But still
    The four that Roadie named are literally the only four guys who score from the post anymore. I was listening to a national sports show yesterday on my commute home and they had Kerry Kittles on. He basically said that the game is pickup ball, al teams run the exact same offense, and you have people passing up layups to pass out to someone at the three point line because analytics say that's more value. Nobody plays defense and those that do are penalized by excessive foul calls that reward flopping. Watching Harden, Trae Young, etc is irritating as hell. Cue the "that's an old NBA guy hating" crowd, but, being a former (recent) player who was actually decent, I think he knows more about the game than most.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,145
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Both the NFL and NBA have assumed a sameness in play for the same reason. Un(chris)fettered free agency and negotiated less practice time. If you are churning your roster by a third to a half each off season and have a few practices to get it together you start running things that are easy to pick up or in widespread use

NBA playoff basketball is still the best IMO because it reverts to form. Giannis is a regular season monster that you can make disappear in the playoffs as has happened the last two years

One thing that won't change is the superstar dominating the playoffs

#LakeShow
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,995
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

ntxduck said:

This

I wanted to add to this.

The four that Roadie named are literally the only four guys who score from the post anymore. I was listening to a national sports show yesterday on my commute home and they had Kerry Kittles on. He basically said that the game is pickup ball, al teams run the exact same offense, and you have people passing up layups to pass out to someone at the three point line because analytics say that's more value. Nobody plays defense and those that do are penalized by excessive foul calls that reward flopping. Watching Harden, Trae Young, etc is irritating as hell. Cue the "that's an old NBA guy hating" crowd, but, being a former (recent) player who was actually decent, I think he knows more about the game than most.
    Some teams run stuff. Miami (when healthy) and Utah put you through a blender and move/reverse the ball exceptionally well. Denver is almost exclusively a high post offense. Golden state typically runs 5 out and when draymond and curry are on the court at the same time they typically move the ball and cut very well. Some teams run good stuff, but the tendency to play for the 3 is true. If you don’t you have a hard time keeping up unless you’re the lakers, dominate defensively, then rebound and get the share of the loose balls better than anyone else. It’s nice to have 2 top 5-10 players on your roster.

That said when the shot clock runs down it is just iso or pick and roll. No different than it was before except instead dumping I to your post you are clearing the lane for a guard.

Watching a James harden team is painful
    Though I agree. No ball movement. ISOs everywhere and some bullshit foul call often ensues.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I like to waive at Jeep owners on the road.

I don’t own a Jeep.