Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to My Aberdeen Guysm

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,912
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Aberdeen/818-E-1st-St-98520/home/14785856

What am I missing?

Tri-plex generates $1525/mo in rents. Allegedly it is being rented for under-market rents.

The payment on $200k is only $780/mo.

Seems like a good location? Corner lot close to Market street and the river.

I'm sure there is deferred maintenance coming due. But fuck, what's new for a home built pre-1900?

What gives?

@creepycoug

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Someone might have been murdered there
  • Options
    Founders Club

Someone might have been murdered there

As far as Washington State law is concerned, that is not a "material fact".
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2021
    Finally an area of expertise for Creepy. @RaceBannon and @dflea will stand down on this one, even though they probably know.

First, that's right on "B" Street (clever name) my broseff. And right on the edge of the worst part of town (yes, there is a "worst"). Just east of there is a neighborhood on the way to North Aberdeen that is truly awful. Tahola awful (sorry @Swaye ). There are people there who smell like mushrooms and who want to hurt you.

A las, who you gonna rent to? That, right there, is my problem with Aberdeen rentals. Anybody who can't afford to buy a fucking house in Aberdeen has some serious limitations bromando. Serious. I wouldn't pay a dime over $100,000 for that house, and that would be a hard pill. The property itself is worthless. It's only about what you could pull in rent from someone on gov't assistance. No thanks.

Interestingly, there has been a known quantity of Seattle "investors" over the last several years who have bought Aberdeen properties for rental investment. I wonder what their experience has been.

One more funny story. If you do the streetview of that property, turn the camera 180 degrees you'll be heading "out the Wishkah". Precisely three blocks from that very location was where, 30+ years ago, I could be found carrying a passed out girl over my shoulders trying desperately to get off B street into the darker adjacent block before a cop came by. Someone's older brother came by with a flatbed pick up and took her and her girlfriends ... home I guess. A party gone awry. A distinct memory. Long story. Creep got into a bit of a bind over that one. We? still talk about it.

Sadly that whole area used to be solidly middle-working-class. Stewart Field is just down that road about 1/2 a mile.

Oh, one more thing @pawz ... being close to the river, any river, in Aberdeen is not a good thing ... at all. We didn't call them river rats for nothing.
  • Options
    Number1AtNumber2Number1AtNumber2 Member Posts: 31
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Being close to the river might not just be about the rats. Is a prior flood claim a material fact?

• Options
    Number1AtNumber2Number1AtNumber2 Member Posts: 31
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I am also curious if as a seller you need to disclose that messy weirdo with the leopard print curtains who hasn't paid rent since Feb 1 2020? There was a good article about this in the Sunday paper that deserves it's own thread to raise the age old question of if you would want to own and manage rentals.

• Options
    Founders Club

I am also curious if as a seller you need to disclose that messy weirdo with the leopard print curtains who hasn't paid rent since Feb 1 2020? There was a good article about this in the Sunday paper that deserves it's own thread to raise the age old question of if you would want to own and manage rentals.

If those walls could talk...
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,179
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Take brass balls much of the time to be in the landlord bidness. I haven't the stomach nor the patience.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,669
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    If you want to become a rental property owner DO NOT DO IT IN WASHINGTON STATE.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Take brass balls much of the time to be in the landlord bidness. I haven't the stomach nor the patience.

#MeToo
  • Options
    Founders Club

Being close to the river might not just be about the rats. Is a prior flood claim a material fact?

CONFIRMED.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Interestingly, there has been a known quantity of Seattle "investors" over the last several years who have bought Aberdeen properties for rental investment. I wonder what their experience has been.

The host of the BiggerPockets podcast has in fact crushed the 'Deen real estate scene.

I've posted about him before but am too lazy to go find it.

BiggerPockets.com is nails for all things RE investing.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,279
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I have been fortunate for the most part. I have had an uncanny (so far) ability to “read” people and potential situations. Have had to “flex” a couple of tims when I smell trouble, and they usually toe the line...the wife is “good cop”, I am not...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I have been fortunate for the most part. I have had an uncanny (so far) ability to “read” people and potential situations. Have had to “flex” a couple of tims when I smell trouble, and they usually toe the line...the wife is “good cop”, I am not...
    What would be your read on @PostGameOrangeSlices?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,279
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2021
    @DerekJohnson: I'd need to look him in the eye, and then I'd probably shift my wallet to the front pocket...
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,828
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Aberdeen/818-E-1st-St-98520/home/14785856

What am I missing?

Tri-plex generates $1525/mo in rents. Allegedly it is being rented for under-market rents.

The payment on $200k is only $780/mo.

Seems like a good location? Corner lot close to Market street and the river.

I'm sure there is deferred maintenance coming due. But fuck, what's new for a home built pre-1900?

What gives?

@creepycoug

What’s the tsunami insurance rate for that sucker? It’s a big reason the flat parts of Aberdeen- Hoquiam seem like bargains on the real estate market but never sell.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Oregon just extended rent moratorium to Feb 2022. Anyone buying rental houses now is either Mother Teresa or a former Blockbuster executive.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

Oregon just extended rent moratorium to Feb 2022. Anyone buying rental houses now is either Mother Teresa or a former Blockbuster executive.

Have to give Kate Brown credit. In the Covid shutdown game, seeing her hang with Inslee was not surprising, being left of Newson from California takes some doing.

She also came out yesterday and said if the state would get to 70% Vaccination Rate, she would rollback most of the phases.

Every article I am reading says about 50% of the people have got the shot and we are stalling out there. Anyone who wanted a shot the last month could have gotten one with no issue or wait time.

Getting to 70% is going to be almost impossible.

Feb 2022 will almost be two full years for landlords to not get paid. #ouch

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,669
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    And they have rent control in Oregon. It's a fool's errand to buy rentals in any way coast state. Go to Iowa or Nebraska or some place like that.