Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Coaching matters ... Mark Few sold his soul to the Devil ...

animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31289665/chet-holmgren-no-1-hs-recruit-class-2021-commits-gonzaga

Chet Holmgren, the No. 1-ranked senior in the country and the projected No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA draft, committed to Gonzaga on Monday.

Holmgren made his announcement on SportsCenter.

"The process was hard," Holmgren told ESPN. "I had a lot to learn on the go. I had to lean on others and get their advice. My dad went through it, and coach Larry Suggs with Jalen. I kept getting consistent advice that I will get a feeling when I know. Not to overanalyze everything because everything sounds good. Nobody sells their weakness.

"It was [Gonzaga's] consistent approach, how versatile they are on the court and their offensive style. They take their talent and tweak their system based on their personnel. They know how to put it all together."

Top 25 men's college basketball recruits regardless of class: A new No. 1

Meet the No. 1 prospects in the 2021, 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes
Coach Mark Few and the Zags were considered the heavy favorites for Holmgren if he chose to go to college, but going the G League route was also an option. Other schools involved included Ohio State, Michigan, North Carolina, Minnesota, Memphis and Georgetown.

"He's a super honest stand-up guy," Holmgren said of Few. "He is a fan of the game, and I hear he is a good fisherman, too. He continues to learn about the game and loves what he is doing."

A center from Minnehaha Academy (Minnesota), Holmgren took official visits to Ohio State and Gonzaga before the coronavirus pandemic essentially shut down in-person recruiting. He also went on unofficial trips to Minnesota, Maryland and Georgetown. His dad, Dave Holmgren, played basketball at Minnesota.

Chet Holmgren is close friends with and a former high school and AAU teammate of Jalen Suggs, who just finished a stellar freshman season at Gonzaga and is a projected top-5 pick in this summer's NBA draft.

"He had a lot of influence," he said of Suggs. "He is someone I know and trust. We had a lot of casual conversations. He is both a friend and teammate. I could hear it firsthand from him. I would watch him play and watch how the team plays. Then we would talk. It's a culture where everyone comes willing to work."

Holmgren had a dominant senior year for Minnehaha this past season, averaging 20.8 points, 12.6 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 4.7 blocks while shooting 80% from the field. Minnehaha won its fourth straight state championship earlier this month, with Holmgren going for 18 points, 13 rebounds and 7 assists in an 80-29 victory in the Class AAA championship game.

Holmgren is one of the most unique prospects in the game. He is the greatest mismatch in high school and will be in the college game, too, because of his 3-point shooting ability, inside game and physical measurables. At 7-foot-1 with an enormous wingspan, Holmgren is a world-class shot-blocker with exceptional instincts to protect the rim. Offensively, he displays uncommon versatility with his scoring prowess, ballhandling and lob-catching ability. His movements are fluid and mobile, showing great coordination and secure hands. He plays with an edge, and his play has been compared to that of Kristaps Porzingis of the Dallas Mavericks.

"[The plan is to] listen and learn and to earn everything I get," Holmgren said. "I will be able to use my versatility on both ends. Push it off the glass and go. I can take advantage of a switch on offense and switch on defense when needed."

Holmgren is the second five-star recruit to join Gonzaga's class in the past few weeks, following No. 3-ranked point guard Hunter Sallis, who committed in late March. ESPN 100 power forward Kaden Perry is also entering the fold next season, while ESPN 100 forward Ben Gregg graduated high school early and enrolled for the second half of this past season. Rounding out the group is Fanbo Zeng, the No. 33-ranked prospect in the 2022 class who reclassified into 2021 before returning to China to finish his high school career. Zeng is expected to enroll at Gonzaga this summer.

Suggs became the highest-ranked recruit in program history when he signed last spring, but Holmgren now takes that honor; he is the first No. 1-ranked prospect to commit to Gonzaga.

It's another step forward in the Zags' emergence as a true power over the past two decades. Gonzaga fell one game short of making college basketball history earlier this month, losing in the national championship game to Baylor, the Bulldogs' first defeat of the season. It was the second time in five seasons they had reached the national title game.

Few's program has won at least 30 games in five straight seasons and has the nation's longest streak of Sweet 16 appearances, last getting knocked out in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament in 2014.

Gonzaga opened the offseason as the No. 1 team in ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25.

him and Hunter Sallis, a top 10 player among others .. Few finally overcame the Mcdonald's bags and Spokane with the help of the 'rona ...

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Looks like a walking ACL injury. Scrawny.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mark Few just played in the natty

Hop played with himself.

Broom that motherfucker, Jen.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Me not worried. No one named Chet is carrying anyone to a ring.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Remember when you guys were seriously discussing Few to UW because he couldn't recruit well enough to win it all at Gonzaga? Like last week? Lol.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Remember when you guys were seriously discussing Few to UW because he couldn't recruit well enough to win it all at Gonzaga? Like last week? Lol.

As the person who started that thread, personally I was not intending it to be a serious discussion about going to UW.

I don't think this kid solves the reasons of why Gonzaga lost to Baylor (athleticism, wings who can defend in isolation). I also don't think he's going to be a big difference maker because he's built like Shawn Bradley, but I could be wrong. Don't care to follow it that closely.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021
    dnc said:

Me not worried. No one named Chet is carrying anyone to a ring.

He’s getting 14 and 7 with 3 blocks and they will have 4 other starters averaging over 10. His name is Chet but he’s not coming to be the best player in college basketball.

I agree that he’s probably overhyped, but he’s a high IQ, skilled 7 footer than can shoot.

Gonzaga is recruiting just about as good as anyone. They will get transfers. The have a borderline monopoly on foreign players that actually go to college.

I got a little joy out of them losing to Baylor but I can stand the doogish (not yours about Holmgren) takes pretending like Gonzaga is a little brother to anyone in college basketball.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

As the person who started that thread, personally I was not intending it to be a serious discussion about going to UW.

I don't think this kid solves the reasons of why Gonzaga lost to Baylor (athleticism, wings who can defend in isolation). I also don't think he's going to be a big difference maker because he's built like Shawn Bradley, but I could be wrong. Don't care to follow it that closely.
    If Holmgren had the patience to stay two years at Gonzaga, he'd bulk up enough to be NBA-ready. He'll one and done it but it will be one step back his rookie year.