Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Derek Jeter makes "The Flip" to nab Giambi at the plate in the 2001 ALDS

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Perhaps the greatest exhibition of Baseball IQ, instincts, and athleticism I have witnessed on a field...I have never seen anything close to it, not to mention the impact it had, in the game and series. There is no drill / practice / strategy for this, it is all Jeter. He's not the best SS ever tools-wise (not close, actually), but this is the reason a lot of "Baseball People" (me included) would have picked DJ (ILTCHDJ, IWILTD) for the question "If you could pick ONE player to start a franchise..." at that time. Winners win...
    In one of my first draft meetings, we had an old dude who had never drawn a paycheck outside of pro baseball, in his 70's. Didn't use a computer or cell phone, typed his reports on carbon paper and faxed them in. We drove fleet cars, he drove a Caddy. When called upon early in the meeting (when the top-end guys were discussed, for 5-10 minutes dissecting every iota of info on the player, almost like a lawyer's closing statement to the jury), this guy had Joe Mauer. He stood up, adjusted his chaw, spit into his cup, and said, "This guy can fucking play", and sat down. I asked another older guy later, "How can he do that? I'm sweating bullets with pages of notes, double-and triple checking them to be sure I don't miss anything" (we all were)...the older guy replied, "He's done it once before...for Jeter"...
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    One of the laziest attempts at base running I ever saw. Giambi wasn't exactly athletic, but come on dude.

One of the laziest attempts at base running I ever saw. Giambi wasn't exactly athletic, but come on dude.

Agree. 99.9% of the time, with where the ball was hit, and the air-mailing of both cut-off men, that effort scores the run. If not for Jeter, he scores. For me, that's why the play is so special
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

all he has to do is slide and he's safe

all he has to do is slide and he's safe
    I heard the cause of this base running "lapse" is known to occur with players who take roids and hang out in strip clubs...just what I'm hearing...