Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

OFFICIAL DOOR. ASS. OUT. Roster Genocide Thread

Comments

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

The PF who dropped like 40 in the tournament from EWU is in the portal...

Curious if he'd don purple.

The Groves are in the portal because their coach left. I am sure Hop is at the top of their list of coaches they want to play for.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gonzaga will be a top destination.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,654
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The Groves are in the portal because their coach left. I am sure Hop is at the top of their list of coaches they want to play for.
    If Jen had some cajones, she'd see the opportunity available with the free year of transfers due to COVID and broom the inept Hop NOW.

New coach could grab starters from virtually every school in the country.

Instead, she'll fuck around and miss the moment.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Our? new power forward.

#nextmanup

Leveling up!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We? just hired the Cal head coach as an assistant to fix the culture
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Well, lots of people clamored for them to fire their assistants. So you got your wish, without the shit canning.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

If Jen had some cajones, she'd see the opportunity available with the free year of transfers due to COVID and broom the inept Hop NOW.

Yep. A good coach can turn it around very quickly with the portal.
    What does it matter? UW has stunk at basketball for 7 of the last 10 years. Murray’s freshman year and Hops first two being the three that could be called pretty good. UW probably stinks again next year and Cohen fires Hop and the new coach does what you say. Scours the country for talent and builds a roster that can win now and UW saves a few million dollars. Oh no! Hopkins will do more damage! Doesn’t matter. It all can be fixed in a year with an inspired hire. I like the women’s hire. Cohen left the search up to her assistant. Maybe she realizes coaching searches aren’t her thing. It gives me a glimmer of hope for a new coach that I didn’t have a month ago.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The portal will be the portal this year, next year, the year after etc going forward

This is the new normal

What does it matter? UW has stunk at basketball for 7 of the last 10 years. Murray’s freshman year and Hops first two being the three that could be called pretty good. UW probably stinks again next year and Cohen fires Hop and the new coach does what you say. Scours the country for talent and builds a roster that can win now and UW saves a few million dollars. Oh no! Hopkins will do more damage! Doesn’t matter. It all can be fixed in a year with an inspired hire. I like the women’s hire. Cohen left the search up to her assistant. Maybe she realizes coaching searches aren’t her thing. It gives me a glimmer of hope for a new coach that I didn’t have a month ago.
    Or she realizes that the Women's basketball coaching search doesn't fucking matter.

You really think an AD isn't going to personally making hiring and firing decisions for football or men's basketball?
    dnc said:
    Something really bothers me about the way Rice frames the 2019-20 season as half good/half bad.

That team disappointed from game 2 onward. After Baylor they lost to all three other top-100 Kenpom teams they faced in non-conference.

Conference play started with a split at home against mediocre USC/UCLA, getting swept at Stanford/Cal, a win at home vs OSU, and then nine straight losses.

Before winning three of last five.

Where is the good first half of the season?

Did this framing work for Hopkins to be able to keep his job? He caught more than he dropped?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Or she realizes that the Women's basketball coaching search doesn't fucking matter.

You really think an AD isn't going to personally making hiring and firing decisions for football or men's basketball?
    Not if she realizes she sucks at it. She vetted and hired Hopkins and she absolutely did the same with Wynn. Both have ended up as underwhelming hires. Having self awareness to pass off the research and deep digging it takes to make an informed hire seems smart when you personally fucked it up so badly last time. Her assistant didn't choose a 20 year assistant. She didn't choose a coach who took five years to build LBSU into a 22-10 team that never won her conference her last three years. She chose a coach who learned under a champion, then built a losing team into a conference champ in three years and then maintained it for another three. If you think Cohen didn't sign off on who her assistant found then you're not living in reality. I take that as a positive sign that the mens hire will be better in a year or two. If UW hired a mens coach with the same resume as the women's I think we would all be cautiously optimistic.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793

Not if she realizes she sucks at it. She vetted and hired Hopkins and she absolutely did the same with Wynn. Both have ended up as underwhelming hires. Having self awareness to pass off the research and deep digging it takes to make an informed hire seems smart when you personally fucked it up so badly last time. Her assistant didn't choose a 20 year assistant. She didn't choose a coach who took five years to build LBSU into a 22-10 team that never won her conference her last three years. She chose a coach who learned under a champion, then built a losing team into a conference champ in three years and then maintained it for another three. If you think Cohen didn't sign off on who her assistant found then you're not living in reality. I take that as a positive sign that the mens hire will be better in a year or two. If UW hired a mens coach with the same resume as the women's I think we would all be cautiously optimistic.
    The Wynn hire is particularly mystifying.

Hop was a high risk hire and also a strange fit scheme-wise and culturally, but I get the thought process at least.

Wynn just never even had any success in any of her prior roles. Just a horrific hire.

Then she might as well quit.

Football and men's basketball hires determine 90% of whether an AD is viewed as successful.

Its pretty easy to say in hindsight Hop was a bad hire but what did you say at the time? This board was pretty positive about the hire and we had multiple Syracuse posters talking about how great a head coach Hop would make. And he looked pretty good his first two years (plus first game of third year.)

Swaye's Wigwam

1.Then she might as well quit.

Football and men's basketball hires determine 90% of whether an AD is viewed as successful.

Its pretty easy to say in hindsight Hop was a bad hire but 2.what did you say at the time? This board was pretty positive about the hire and we had multiple Syracuse posters talking about how great a head coach Hop would make. And he looked pretty good his first two years (plus first game of third year.)

1. Agreed.

2. I'm pretty sure I said, "Who?'. Then I gave JC the benefit of the doubt because she had a decent track record as an AD to that point. She has lost that trust for me. If the new WBB coach turns out to be a solid or great hire then I would feel more confident in her assistant shaking the trees for the next MBB hire. If Cohen realizes her strengths are fundraising, and balancing budgets then great, embrace that. Use the tools around you to find coaching talent if that is not a strength of yours. Look, I would say that if Jimmy Lake ends up winning 8 games a year that is another coaching mistake for her. Unfortunately it won't result in her termination. AMC will not fire her. As long as the AD is in the black then all is right with upper campus. I don't like it but I'm not delusional to think the university cares enough to fire a woman AD that balances the budget and gives the student athletes a great college experience. Sucks but it's true.