Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Baseman initiates coverage on Goldman Sachs (GS) to outperform

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Attractive Price to Tangible Book. Malaysia litigation in the rear view mirror. An overpriced market, ripe for a fall, is favorable for GS which thrives on trading volatility.

Comments

• Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    GS exposure in commercial real estate concerns me a bit.
    You?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Blu82 said:

GS exposure in commercial real estate concerns me a bit.
    You?

Up 67% on an iconic franchise. Increasing ROE projections of 15% on tangible equity. You're a happy camper if you got in @ $199
    edited April 2021
    1st Quarter Blowout

Actual $18.60 vs. $10.22 est.
    ROTE: 31%

Share Count Reduction: 2.4%

https://www.goldmansachs.com/media-relations/press-releases/current/pdfs/2021-q1-results.pdf
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited April 2021
    Baseman said:

Attractive Price to Tangible Book. Malaysia litigation in the rear view mirror. An overpriced market, ripe for a fall, is favorable for GS which thrives on trading volatility.

I just ... you mention that you like to own companies and assess what they do and what that portends etc. I think that way too. And for that reason, I just don't like the iBanks. They don't do anything except, yeah, make money. I think about that scene in the first Wall Street movie with Martin Sheen and Charlie Sheen, where he basically calls his kid useless because he doesn't make or do anything other than sponge off of the work of others.

That's how I think about Goldman. Talk some sense into me.
    edited April 2021

Baseman said:

I just ... you mention that you like to own companies and assess what they do and what that portends etc. I think that way too. And for that reason, I just don't like the iBanks. They don't do anything except, yeah, make money. I think about that scene in the first Wall Street movie with Martin Sheen and Charlie Sheen, where he basically calls his kid useless because he doesn't make or do anything other than sponge off of the work of others.

Ask and receive. Check the latest post.

Save the "workers unite" speech, Goldman doesn't sell cancer sticks.

If you want to sleep well, they've recently committed to lending -$3 billion to black owned businesses and started a SIF
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Ask and receive. Check the latest post.

Save the "workers unite" speech, Goldman doesn't sell cancer sticks.

If you want to sleep well, they've recently committed to lending -$3 billion to black owned businesses and started a SIF
    It wasn't so much a moral issue as it is a, call it skepticism, about their real worth. We talk about companies we "like", which is short-hand for our ability to see what they do and how well they do it and how profitable they are in doing it and how that looks as we project into the future. Goldman is just always there to find a way to make money off of it, "it" being the work other companies do and the value they create.

I know I'm oversimplifying it. Like I said, it's not a rational view point.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So I really like how you’re not here beating your chest. I also made a mental note to read your future posts that are similar to this... and act.

You called this one!