Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NCAA will no longer require transfers to sit out a year: AP sources

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited April 2021 in Duck Refuge
“Starting next season, major college football and basketball players will be permitted to transfer one time before graduating without being required to sit out a year of competition.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to changed the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council’s decision told The Associated Press.“

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2021/04/ncaa-will-no-longer-require-transfers-to-sit-out-a-year-ap-sources.html

Comments

• ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Further dispensing of the notion that these guys are generally students first and athletes second.

The transfer portal just became free agency. I’m not even mad, but I hope they don’t let the significance of playing college football erode the way they did college basketball.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,730
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ramenduck said:

Further dispensing of the notion that these guys are generally students first and athletes second.

The transfer portal just became free agency. I’m not even mad, but I hope they don’t let the significance of playing college football erode the way they did college basketball.

As long as the NFL keeps the 3 years after high school rule college football should be OK.

Regular students transfer too. All in all I think it's good
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    ramenduck said:

I don’t think it will. Basketball is a lot quicker to pick up a new system. Football you burn your first year basically anyways just learning the playbook
  • ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2021
    ntxduck said:

ramenduck said:

I don’t think it will. Basketball is a lot quicker to pick up a new system. Football you burn your first year basically anyways just learning the playbook
    Hope not. Good point. Race’s point about the NFL was also a good one. But they’re always just one shitty court judgement away from losing that edge too.

Like I said, I’m not mad. I’d have to be Cheswick to actually be upset about it. I’m just keeping my eyes peeled.