Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Small's running with the #2's ?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Was asked over at Dawgman, and just like after day 1 practice , Kim and Fetters said it doesn't matter, to early, different packages will bring out different people, blah blah blah blah.

Returning back to reality, your damn right it matters who goes out with the #1's, 2nd string, etc etc. The coaches aren't just throwing names in a cup like yahtzee and whatever names land face up they put out there.

Maybe he's injured, in the doghouse, whatever, but there is a reason Asa Turner's name seems no where to be found at safety.

I obviously have no idea, but maybe Gregory's comment about having to earn the right to rush the passer was directed at Savell.

This narrative of UW coaches throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks is fs.

1) They don't get enough time with the players to waste it like that
2) They could tell you right now who 20 of the 22 starters will be against Michigan if nothing unforeseen happens.

Comments

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,488
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Assume Smalls will be fine. Rewatched ZTF highlights from last year and on 75% of his sacks, Smalls was very close to either getting the sack if ZTF doesn't get there first and him being their kept the QB from being able to escape. He definitely needs to up his run defense and know when to not get upfield, aka the big late run he gave up against Stanford, but I think he has the size to do that and not become a Josh Shirley.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam

If Smalls can match Bowman's production in the rungame, then he'll run with the 1s.

However, I don't see Smalls passing Bowman this year. Bowman earned 2nd team All Pac-12 in 2019 and was 2nd on the team in TFL and sacks (only behind Tryon). Was 3rd in total tackles by DL (behind Tryon and Levi).

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing packages with Bowman sliding inside, Smalls and ZTF outside, and having a rush packages on 3rd and long.

If ZTS is pushing 280 will they have to put him inside as well?

That seems really big to get up field and rush the qb off the edge unless he is the freak of the freaks athletically.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If Smalls can match Bowman's production in the rungame, then he'll run with the 1s.

However, I don't see Smalls passing Bowman this year. Bowman earned 2nd team All Pac-12 in 2019 and was 2nd on the team in TFL and sacks (only behind Tryon). Was 3rd in total tackles by DL (behind Tryon and Levi).

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing packages with Bowman sliding inside, Smalls and ZTF outside, and having a rush packages on 3rd and long.

I bet anything that is a regular package on 2nd or 3rd and long.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,019
    Founders Club
    godawgst said:

That seems really big to get up field and rush the qb off the edge unless he is the freak of the freaks athletically.
    He's kind of a beast.

What was his weight last year?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    godawgst said:

He was 280 during the season.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If Smalls is running with the 2’s that’s not a huge issue ... ZTF is an absolute beast
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I bet anything that is a regular package on 2nd or 3rd and long.
    I really wish we had Latu to slide inside at times. We could have a really good pass rush anyways but I haven’t seen anything out of our DT’s to warrant playing them on passing downs.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

They were already doing exactly this in 2019 (possibly 2020 as well). Bowman is actually a fantastic 3-tech on pass rushing downs. He didn't get pushed around inside.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Sa’vell is the last kid I’m worried about.

Lol. Sa’vell is elite.