Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I'm on the sidelines

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Everything in my universe too expensive. Went heavy on Domino's Pizza between $320 - $330 and it's already back @ $380. I loved Google at $2,050. Not so much, now above $2,200.

Pared back on Bank of America (30%) and Hartford (20%) and a little of my Citi (10%). all held in my IRAs -- $0 capital gains tax

I'm a buy and hold guy -- for the most part -- but the recent run up on the former two skewed my portfolio too heavy on financials.

With dry powder I'm looking for a pullback on QQQM (baby QQQ. Lower fees) for a better entry point.

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    So, Not the official index of the NCAA?

But, how will they get paid?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Been taking a long hard look at VYM. Dipped a little today thus far but still over $102 and not far off its 52 wk high of 102.69. Yield is just under 3% at these prices .... yeah a yield play is for the long-term, but I have a block of cash right now and I'm thinking of waiting until the entry point is north of 3.5% for yield. I may be waiting for Godot ... open to being talked out of it.

It's a good tip @Baseman ... I like the fund. I'd like to have 2 hundred or so in it, forget I own it and let it ride with reinvested dividends until retirement in about 8 years. Call it my scared money and growth the rest.

Thoughts?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Been taking a long hard look at VYM. Dipped a little today thus far but still over $102 and not far off its 52 wk high of 102.69. Yield is just under 3% at these prices .... yeah a yield play is for the long-term, but I have a block of cash right now and I'm thinking of waiting until the entry point is north of 3.5% for yield. I may be waiting for Godot ... open to being talked out of it.

It's a good tip @Baseman ... I like the fund. I'd like to have 2 hundred or so in it, forget I own it and let it ride with reinvested dividends until retirement in about 8 years. Call it my scared money and growth the rest.

Thoughts?

Talk % of your portfolio instead of $...When do you plan on retiring?
    Baseman said:

Thoughts?

Based on what I have right now, say $250k in VYM would be a little over 6% of the portfolio. When I retire, in about 8 years, there will be some lump sum and other one time payments that will drive whatever the % is at that time lower.

Note, that the holdings in VYM would overlap some yield stocks I own outright. I might sell those now (price is high/dividends have flattened so yield relative to sell opportunity is down on those) and plow that into more growth. 401-K is heavy in 500 and extended market with some small international.
    edited April 2021

Baseman said:

Thoughts?

Based on what I have right now, say $250k in VYM would be a little over 6% of the portfolio. When I retire, in about 8 years, there will be some lump sum and other one time payments that will drive whatever the % is at that time lower.

Note, that the holdings in VYM would overlap some yield stocks I own outright. I might sell those now (price is high/dividends have flattened so yield relative to sell opportunity is down on those) and plow that into more growth. 401-K is heavy in 500 and extended market with some small international.
    I'm not a registered advisor but you might go heavier on VYM. Average in over the next six months to a year. Set the dividends on auto reinvest.

If i'm you and eight years out, I want a fair amount in QQQ (25-30%).

Apple Amazon Google and Facebook are not your daddies 2000 QQQ. They'll continue growing, generate massive amounts of free cash flow and are poised to buyback stock on any pullback.

I'm a Warren Buffet disciple. I don't buy stocks, I buy companies and my preferred holding period is forever. I view market pullbacks like the wife and kids see Nordstrom Half-Yearly sale.

Like Buffet, I wouldn't touch bonds with a ten foot pole. Corporates or Treasuries. Maybe a small position (5% of portfolio max) in a closed end leveraged muni-fund in your taxable accounts.

In your situation, each year I would reallocate a higher percentage to VYM. 60% of my portfolio is in individual stocks. Peter Lynch described too much diversification as deworseification.

We could see another major crisis -- ala 2008-2009 -$ where across the board dividends were cut 40%. You'll want to have some cash (10%) and avoid selling your positions.

Including dividends you should conservatively expect your current portfolio to triple every ten years. You're in good shape.
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Thoughts?

I'm not a registered advisor but you might go heavier on VYM. Average in over the next six months to a year. Set the dividends on auto reinvest.

Apple Amazon Google and Facebook are not your daddies 2000 QQQ. They'll continue growing, generate massive amounts of free cash flow and are poised to buyback stock on any pullback.

I'm a Warren Buffet disciple. I don't buy stocks, I buy companies and my preferred holding period is forever. I view market pullbacks like the wife and kids see Nordstrom Half-Yearly sale.

Like Buffet, I wouldn't touch bonds with a ten foot pole. Corporates or Treasuries. Maybe a small position (5% of portfolio max) in a closed end leveraged muni-fund in your taxable accounts.

In your situation, each year I would reallocate a higher percentage to VYM. 60% of my portfolio is in individual stocks. Peter Lynch described too much diversification as deworseification.

We could see another major crisis -- ala 2008-2009 -$ where across the board dividends were cut 40%. You'll want to have some cash (10%) and avoid selling your positions.

Including dividends you should conservatively expect your current portfolio to triple every ten years. You're in good shape.
    All good thoughts. One thing to consider though ... Buffet and Munger are value guys ... would they jump in to even good companies for the good reasons you give in this arguably inflated market? Or would they wait to pick their spots?
    edited April 2021

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Thoughts?

All good thoughts. One thing to consider though ... Buffet and Munger are value guys ... would they jump in to even good companies for the good reasons you give in this arguably inflated market? Or would they wait to pick their spots?
    Buffets philosophy is be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

It's been several years since Berkshire acquired 100% ownership of another company.

So I think the answer to your question is, no. Berkshire is not a net buyer at the moment.

Recently he trimmed 10% of Berkshires Apple holdings because the value their value approached $130 billion.

The best thing Buffet did last year was buying back Berkshire stock which he believes is a good buy if the price/book value is 1.3, or less. They also acquired pharmaceuticals and biotechs. High dividend yields, better returns than bonds and timely values in the current world

Berkshire's annual reports make good reading. Not only have I learned a lot, Buffet's commentary historically is spot on. https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/reports.html

Berkshire makes up 10% of my portfolio and I look forward to their quarterly earnings to see what "our company" bought and sold. Buffett and Munger treat their shareholders like partners and they have skin in the game.

Buffett only pays himself $250,000 a year with little to no stock options.
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Thoughts?

Buffets philosophy is be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

It's been several years since Berkshire acquired 100% ownership of another company.

So I think the answer to your question is, no. Berkshire is not a net buyer at the moment.

Recently he trimmed 10% of Berkshires Apple holdings because the value their value approached $130 billion.

The best thing Buffet did last year was buying back Berkshire stock which he believes is a good buy if the price/book value is 1.3, or less. They also acquired pharmaceuticals and biotechs. High dividend yields, better returns than bonds and timely values in the current world

Berkshire's annual reports make good reading. Not only have I learned a lot, Buffet's commentary historically is spot on. https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/reports.html

Berkshire makes up 10% of my portfolio and I look forward to their quarterly earnings to see what "our company" bought and sold. Buffett and Munger treat their shareholders like partners and they have skin in the game.

Buffett only pays himself $250,000 a year with little to no stock options.
    One of the many reasons I like those guys is that i can plainly understand everything they say. They are both so very good at explaining their moves and their philosophy.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

Everything in my universe too expensive. Went heavy on Domino's Pizza between $320 - $330 and it's already back @ $380. I loved Google at $2,050. Not so much, now above $2,200.

Pared back on Bank of America (30%) and Hartford (20%) and a little of my Citi (10%). all held in my IRAs -- $0 capital gains tax

I'm a buy and hold guy -- for the most part -- but the recent run up on the former two skewed my portfolio too heavy on financials.

With dry powder I'm looking for a pullback on QQQM (baby QQQ. Lower fees) for a better entry point.

Why is DPZ off nearly 14% from its annual high?
    EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

Analysts were disappointed in sales guidance (8-10% increase instead of 10) Fine by me. I got into Starbucks three years ago when they missed and am a happy camper, looking for an opportunity to buy more
    Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

Analysts were disappointed in sales guidance (8-10% increase instead of 10) Fine by me. I got into Starbucks three years ago when they missed and am a happy camper, looking for an opportunity to buy more
    Honestly, I'll never understand making real investment decisions based on quarterly earnings unless there is context that portends long-term poor performance.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

What Dominos Pizza, oops just Dominos now, has done the last 15 years was extraordinary stock price wise.

Can they continue even 1/4 of that run? What did they do that propelled the stock like it did.?
    edited April 2021
    godawgst said:

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

What Dominos Pizza, oops just Dominos now, has done the last 15 years was extraordinary stock price wise.

Can they continue even 1/4 of that run? What did they do that propelled the stock like it did.?
    A franchise model that requires little capital outlay but is franchisee friendly. Investments in technology. Buying back shares.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Dominos, wished I'd bought it years ago. Still has big upside going forward. I plan on owning for at least the next ten years and will look to buy more when it's attractively priced.

Any profitable company with projected 8-10% revenue growth over the next three years points to more upside.
    Baseman said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

A franchise model that requires little capital outlay but is franchisee friendly. Investments in technology. Buying back shares.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Dominos, wished I'd bought it years ago. Still has big upside going forward. I plan on owning for at least the next ten years and will look to buy more when it's attractively priced.

Any profitable company with projected 8-10% revenue growth over the next three years points to more upside.
    Since it's somewhat down now, perhaps now is a good entry point for the first timers?

When Americans stop getting drunk and eating pizza and wings, we'll all be dead anyway.

Baseman said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

Since it's somewhat down now, perhaps now is a good entry point for the first timers?

When Americans stop getting drunk and eating pizza and wings, we'll all be dead anyway.
    Maybe dip your toe in the water. I made my first buy Feb 22 at $374. I kept buying as it went down and loaded up on March 8 @ $328.

I read in Peter Lynch's book that when he likes a stock but isn't ready to go all in he'll open a small position so it's on his radar. I took the idea and employed the same strategy and found it worked well. Even if you only have 1 share, having it on your radar makes it easier to buy more when you think the timing is right.

If you're looking for 30% return by next year, I'd say pass. If you want an exceptional company you're comfortable owning for 10 years, Dominos should well outperform the market (SP 500)

Baseman said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

You've sold me. The newest Dominos franchise is now coming to Kitsap County!
    Can I get an occasional comp? TIA
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Baseman said:

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

EwaDawg said:

Baseman said:

You've sold me. The newest Dominos franchise is now coming to Kitsap County!
    Looked at this franchise a few weeks ago. The economics weren't too bad. Too much fucking work at this stage of life, however. But, damn, drunk food rules.

https://www.fatshack.com/

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I am as well, and why I raised cashed like I wanted to in Jan-Feb, I am itching to put it to work even if that means my last two buys I was early on (Viac/Discovery).

My kryptonite is trying to catch the falling knife when stocks have a major drop (as a side note, that is a good topic. What do others on the board need/want to work on in their investing game)

So with earnings starting up next week, do people have stocks in the on deck circle, waiting for them to fall into their buy range?

Stock only
    godawgst said:

I am as well, and why I raised cashed like I wanted to in Jan-Feb, I am itching to put it to work even if that means my last two buys I was early on (Viac/Discovery).

My kryptonite is trying to catch the falling knife when stocks have a major drop (as a side note, that is a good topic. What do others on the board need/want to work on in their investing game)

So with earnings starting up next week, do people have stocks in the on deck circle, waiting for them to fall into their buy range?

Dominos
    Google
    QQQM