Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dirk: Not a selfish asshole

2»

Comments

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Kobe's new contract is 16 million less than it could have been. That's a bit of a hair cut, no?

Getting 48 million from the Lakers was a sweet deal for Kobe. Nobody else would have given him that sort of money. He left 16 million because he had to. Not because he chose to.

Dirk could have gotten $12-15 million from a team if he was willing.
    Nobody else would have given him that kind of money, yes. But if Kobe had demanded his max the Lakers would have given it to him. He took less money. You can spin it however you want but that's a fact.

And I am not a math whizz but if Dirk could have gotten 15 per that's a $15 million discount. Or, you know, less than what Kobe left on the table.
    I doubt the Lakers would have given him 32 million a year. And yes, Dirk could have gotten 2 yr 30 million from somebody. To say he's sacrificing so much is bullshit though. The Mavericks will be overpaying Dirk for appearances the rest of his life. What he's not making the next few eyes he probably makes in the long term after retiring.
    Well they gave him 25 million. That's a lot fucking closer to 32 than 10. The thing that some of you don't realize in that these teams are a business. There is one thing that would be worse than not paying Kobe Bryant 32 million for the Lakers and that's not paying him at all.

These players are worth more than what they do on the court. Kobe generates revenue. Kobe is the single biggest reason that franchise would sell for more than 2 billion. Kobe is the single biggest reason they make 100 million a year. Yes, Kobe will be over paid for what he does on the court now. But he has spent his entire career being underpaid for the revenue he creates and he will be underpaid for that next year as well.

It's easy to sit here and say "well I wouldn't pay Kobe that much". But what you're really saying is that your fucking clueless when it comes to running a business.
    Really FS post. Everyone understands it's a business and it's common knowledge that star players are underpaid in terms of the value they generate. Old news. And no, the Lakers would not have to give Kobe 32 million if he demanded, just like the Yankees don't pay Derek Jeter 30 million anymore. Giving him 24 per after an Achilles tear at 35 years old was nice enough and was recognized as being a sweet deal for Kobe from the day it was signed.

Your second paragraph is some of the dumbest shit spewed on this board in awhile. Kobe Bryant is why they would sell for over 2 billion? Yeah, and Derek Jeter is the reason the Yankees are the most valuable baseball team. Are you fucking kidding me? You're not this fucking stupid are you? How about being arguably the most storied franchise in the NBA and being the #1 team in LA is the biggest reason. Kobe Bryant is not the biggest reason they make 100 million. They have their own TV channel down here in LA. They have the best TV deal in the league. That's the biggest reason. I had a nice laugh at the bolded part after reading your post.
    You should google the Lakers ratings last season without Kobe. You might find it helpful.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Kobe's new contract is 16 million less than it could have been. That's a bit of a hair cut, no?

Getting 48 million from the Lakers was a sweet deal for Kobe. Nobody else would have given him that sort of money. He left 16 million because he had to. Not because he chose to.

Dirk could have gotten $12-15 million from a team if he was willing.
    Nobody else would have given him that kind of money, yes. But if Kobe had demanded his max the Lakers would have given it to him. He took less money. You can spin it however you want but that's a fact.

And I am not a math whizz but if Dirk could have gotten 15 per that's a $15 million discount. Or, you know, less than what Kobe left on the table.
    I doubt the Lakers would have given him 32 million a year. And yes, Dirk could have gotten 2 yr 30 million from somebody. To say he's sacrificing so much is bullshit though. The Mavericks will be overpaying Dirk for appearances the rest of his life. What he's not making the next few eyes he probably makes in the long term after retiring.
    Well they gave him 25 million. That's a lot fucking closer to 32 than 10. The thing that some of you don't realize in that these teams are a business. There is one thing that would be worse than not paying Kobe Bryant 32 million for the Lakers and that's not paying him at all.

These players are worth more than what they do on the court. Kobe generates revenue. Kobe is the single biggest reason that franchise would sell for more than 2 billion. Kobe is the single biggest reason they make 100 million a year. Yes, Kobe will be over paid for what he does on the court now. But he has spent his entire career being underpaid for the revenue he creates and he will be underpaid for that next year as well.

It's easy to sit here and say "well I wouldn't pay Kobe that much". But what you're really saying is that your fucking clueless when it comes to running a business.

It's a good business decision if you don't care about winning and are willing to hamstring yourself on the cap. I for one hope the Lakers dig the hole even deeper and sign Carmelonoma.