Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

BC LIONS SIGN FORMER WASHINGTON HUSKIES DB AUSTIN JOYNER

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Damn. Hope his health is ok
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,993
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021
    dnc said:

Loved his game, hope his body can handle it. Kid can play.

Head*
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I loved Joyner’s game, and he could have been a bell cow. But after that many concussions, attempting a return to football is an extremely bad idea.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

I loved Joyner’s game, and he could have been a bell cow. But after that many concussions, attempting a return to football is an extremely bad idea.

You only live once. I don’t agree. Many former players have had concussions and are fine. Some aren’t. It’s a risk, but that’s football.
  • Options

TTJ said:

You only live once. I don’t agree. Many former players have had concussions and are fine. Some aren’t. It’s a risk, but that’s football.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,600
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Listened to Mitch's podcast and her had a guy on who played for Harvard in college and did a couple years in the NFL. He now leads the brain research out of Boston that's diagnosing CTE in players after they die. His comments were that the concussions are not really what causes the long-term issues as much as the repeat hits. He also cited that nearly 75% of concussions in high school or college occur during practice, whereas in the proof that number is reversed, and that practices need to get reworked big-time.

Interesting point was that no kids should play football before high school because, statistically speaking, playing before high school does nothing to improve the odds of making it to college and the pros. All it does is greatly increase the likelihood of brain issues later in life.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Listened to Mitch's podcast and her had a guy on who played for Harvard in college and did a couple years in the NFL. He now leads the brain research out of Boston that's diagnosing CTE in players after they die. His comments were that the concussions are not really what causes the long-term issues as much as the repeat hits. He also cited that nearly 75% of concussions in high school or college occur during practice, whereas in the pros that number is reversed, and that practices need to get reworked big-time.

Interesting point was that no kids should play football before high school because, statistically speaking, playing before high school does nothing to improve the odds of making it to college and the pros. All it does is greatly increase the likelihood of brain issues later in life.

Had to read that a couple of times before I caught the typo. Fucking phones.

I watched a little bit of peewee football when my son was that age and thought it was stupid. There were always one or two big, fast, precocious kids and a bunch of booger eaters tripping over themselves. Nothing was gained by anyone from that mess, but several kids did manage to get injuries that plagued them all the way through high school.

Junior high didn't seem bad. I played it and felt like I it prepared me well. I wouldn't doubt it a bit that a robust analysis would show its useless for long term development though.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    TTJ said:

Tell me you voted for Joe Biden, without telling me you voted for Joe Biden.

He’s an adult, let him decide what he wants to do
  • Options
    Raise your hand if, at this point, you think Joyner is going to make any substantial living trying out for the CFL.

Also, do CFL teams practice?

Nobody here is making decisions for anybody else, Mensa. But a bad idea is a bad idea.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So was he forced to quit football, then? My understanding is that he retired due to multiple concussions. That it was his choice or an understanding between he and the medical staff. Did the team or the medical staff make him retire?

Also, I think some are downplaying how dangerous concussions like that can be. I'm no doctor, but my understanding is that they are multiplicative, and not letting the last concussion completely heal and then getting another is extremely bad news. I played with two different players growing up who retired from football due to concussions. One never even made it past high school because the doctors told him his brain would become pudding if he got one more concussion. The other didn't have concussion issues through youth and high school ball, had his UW offer pulled when Slick Rick took over, and ended up at Idaho. He made it, I believe, three years before he also had to hang it up due to concussions.

In both cases, it wasn't a matter of, "Oh, he might have a hard time remembering where he put his car keys when he's 78 years old." No, it was a neurologist sitting him down, pointing to the scan, and saying, "See how your brain here is starting to look those blobs at the end of Metroid having a coke-fueled orgy? Another big hit like that could be your last."

Joyner's not the first player I've seen retire due to concussions and then find his way back onto the field somewhere else, so I'm curious how that decision works. What was he told by UW medical staff (no slouches), and what's behind his thinking that he should just play anyway?

The argument for players having the right to turn their brain into pudding if they so chose is very similar to debates over seat belt laws, helmet laws, product safety regulations, etc. It's an interesting one. My guess as to why he's turning up on a field in Canada instead of trying out for the NFL is that no team in the States would be dumb enough to expose themselves to the legal/negative PR risk of a player with a history of bad concussions.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

So was he forced to quit football, then? My understanding is that he retired due to multiple concussions. That it was his choice or an understanding between he and the medical staff. Did the team or the medical staff make him retire?

Also, I think some are downplaying how dangerous concussions like that can be. I'm no doctor, but my understanding is that they are multiplicative, and not letting the last concussion completely heal and then getting another is extremely bad news. I played with two different players growing up who retired from football due to concussions. One never even made it past high school because the doctors told him his brain would become pudding if he got one more concussion. The other didn't have concussion issues through youth and high school ball, had his UW offer pulled when Slick Rick took over, and ended up at Idaho. He made it, I believe, three years before he also had to hang it up due to concussions.

In both cases, it wasn't a matter of, "Oh, he might have a hard time remembering where he put his car keys when he's 78 years old." No, it was a neurologist sitting him down, pointing to the scan, and saying, "See how your brain here is starting to look those blobs at the end of Metroid having a coke-fueled orgy? Another big hit like that could be your last."

Joyner's not the first player I've seen retire due to concussions and then find his way back onto the field somewhere else, so I'm curious how that decision works. What was he told by UW medical staff (no slouches), and what's behind his thinking that he should just play anyway?

The argument for players having the right to turn their brain into pudding if they so chose is very similar to debates over seat belt laws, helmet laws, product safety regulations, etc. It's an interesting one. My guess as to why he's turning up on a field in Canada instead of trying out for the NFL is that no team in the States would be dumb enough to expose themselves to the legal/negative PR risk of a player with a history of bad concussions.

I’m not sure how much liability plays into NFL teams thinking. Most guys that don’t play for a few years aren’t capable of playing in the NFL. Joyner was a good college player but didn’t have that much experience actually playing and he was never a sure fire, can’t miss NFL guy to being with.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m not sure how much liability plays into NFL teams thinking. Most guys that don’t play for a few years aren’t capable of playing in the NFL. Joyner was a good college player but didn’t have that much experience actually playing and he was never a sure fire, can’t miss NFL guy to being with.
    I bet if you walk into Roger Goodell's office, you'll see a threat board hanging up on the wall, and that threat board will read:

1.) CTE
    2.) CTE
    3.) Eagles fans
    4.) CTE
    5.) CTE

The NFL is hiding from this scandal in the way that a three year old covers their own eyes and thinks that makes them invisible to seekers. They're prayingdoog.gif that this whole thing blows over without a major lawsuit from former players and/or major PR backlash from fans. They knew about CTE, they didn't warn players, it's pretty astonishing that the hammer hasn't already dropped.

At the team level, not sure how worried they'd be about a concussion prone player. At the league level? They're shitting their pants over this, hence all of the rules that have de-balled the game.

All of my speculation above about Joyner was just that: speculation. Usually, when a local hero tries out for an NFL team, there's news about it. In this case, we've heard crickets for something like four years, now he's turned up on a CFL roster, completely skipping attempting to cut out the middle man and trying out for a serious payday in the NFL. That seems weird to me, and it makes me wonder if the concussion history might have something to do with that. Just thinking out loud, nothing more.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,101
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I ran into him months after the retirement and he said he was perfectly fine, and was planning to head to Florida and work in insurance or something, he has family down there. He kind of missed out on a pro day I believe last year? I can't tell anymore. Kid has speed and isn't afraid to the lay the lumber ... with his head. Hope he gets what he's looking for.