Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Netflix: Operation Varsity Blues

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Highly recommend this on the Flix (I like to call it "the Flix"; IWILTD). A few observations:

> there is a reason why the masses hate wealthy people

> the USC obsession, mostly a California parent thing, was/is ridiculous. if you're going to pay half a mill to cheat your kid into a school, how about a really good one for Christ's sake. SC has done wonders for itself from a PR standpoint, and selectivity has increased. but it's hardly a bastion of high-level intellectual thinking, and about the only thing they are truly elite in is Film. there are much more prestigious and academically accomplished and rigorous schools. I don't have an axe to grind. It's just true.

> how dumb and/or lazy are your fucking kids when you have every fucking advantage known to man to position them for elite admissions and you still need to do this. these kids were born rounding third base. consider:

(1) you have the money to get them into the high-barrier-to-entry sports, like tennis, fencing, squash, (to a lesser extent) rowing, sailing, golf, etc., which are major hooks for getting in to elite schools;
(2) you have the money to have provided them with the best preparatory education;
(3) you have the money for SAT/ACT prep, starting at a very young age;
(4) in many cases, your kids represent the celebrity card that automatically gives them a huge leg up in admissions because elite schools love to have famous names associated with their brand; and
(5) your kids have had the advantage of growing up around literacy and culture and all that shit, which is how you gain the advantage of cultural literacy (read the now not-PC book, Cultural Literacy by E.D. Hirsch and you'll know just how important this one is).

All of those things are much less readily available to non-affluent kids unless their parents are aware of these things (see, e.g., Asian parents who push their kids
towards the violin rather than football or video game camp) and are willing to sacrifice financially.

> people are just fucking shameless. "I don't care about the ethics of it. I just don't want it to ever get out." Yeah, your kid is too fucking lazy and mediocre to get into fucking Georgetown - not an easy school but not exactly Harvard or Stanford either - despite all the advantages he had available to him, and so you're going to steal a seat for Mr. Mediocre from a kid who should be there on the merits.

It's a good watch. It also made me feel pretty proud of my kids, who while not nearly perfect like some, got what they got on their own. Yeah, I was able to confer a few advantages, mostly in the "being aware" category. But my zip code is not Atherton, CA, and I'm not in that league financially.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81130691

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021
    Does Lori Laughlin show tit?

Gentlemen like tit so don't @me, bro.

• Options
    Pre-emptive "thud". Don't even think about it @RaceBannon
  • Options

Does Lori Laughlin show tit?

Gentlemen like tit so don't @me, bro.

Sadly, she does not. She sure gave birth to a couple of dummies; that's for fucking sure. I wonder if her kids with Uncle Jesse are any smarter.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam

This never moved the needle for me a fraction of an inch

I believe people with money should buy whatever they want for their kids including overpriced college

Little Jimmy isn't getting in regardless

What a waste of federal investigation time. All for show
  • Options

This never moved the needle for me a fraction of an inch

I believe people with money should buy whatever they want for their kids including overpriced college

Little Jimmy isn't getting in regardless

What a waste of federal investigation time. All for show
    There's a pretty good argument there as it relates to the private schools in the nunya bidness sense. Public schools are different, and most large privates suck off the government tit as well. About the only private school I know of that doesn't take federal money is little Hillsdale College in Michigan.

So if the feds give you money, they are just as free to attach strings, and the colleges are just as free to refuse the money.

One of the strings, I'm guessing, is that your institution isn't run as a fraud.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pay for a building and your family goes there forever

Who cares

There is no admission law. They take federal money and advocate overthrowing the government too
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Who cares

There is no admission law. They take federal money and advocate overthrowing the government too

Yeah, but it's an iron law: take my money and you take my opinions. Watch Formula 1 on Netflix. The owner of Tommy Hilfiger makes that pretty clear when he helps sponsor a team. One of the conditions: my kid gets one of the two driver seats. The team principal for Haas has to call Gene every fucking day to hear him complain about the latest fuck up.

I don't know if it's RICO or money laundering or what, but the fed usually figures out the legal theory before they jump in.

Also, remember a lot of this involved lying to the IRS about fake donations to a fake charity. They had Singer by the balls, which is why he sang like a bird and helped them nail the parents. I don't think the schools themselves were in the cross hairs other than the officials at the schools who were essentially defrauding their employers. I.e., the Yale soccer coach, USC rowing coach and AD, Georgetown tennis coach, etc.

Of course, the school that came off as the absolutely most corrupt and easy to buy in was USC.

@BearsWiin probably got a chortle out of it.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Who cares

Yeah, but it's an iron law: take my money and you take my opinions. Watch Formula 1 on Netflix. The owner of Tommy Hilfiger makes that pretty clear when he helps sponsor a team. One of the conditions: my kid gets one of the two driver seats. The team principal for Haas has to call Gene every fucking day to hear him complain about the latest fuck up.

I don't know if it's RICO or money laundering or what, but the fed usually figures out the legal theory before they jump in.

Also, remember a lot of this involved lying to the IRS about fake donations to a fake charity. They had Singer by the balls, which is why he sang like a bird and helped them nail the parents. I don't think the schools themselves were in the cross hairs other than the officials at the schools who were essentially defrauding their employers. I.e., the Yale soccer coach, USC rowing coach and AD, Georgetown tennis coach, etc.

Of course, the school that came off as the absolutely most corrupt and easy to buy in was USC.

@BearsWiin probably got a chortle out of it.
    Lawrence Sheldon Strulovitch (born 11 July 1959),[3] best known as Lawrence Stroll, is a Canadian billionaire businessman, part-owner of the Aston Martin F1 Team[4] and collector of vintage Ferraris. According to Forbes, he has a net worth of US$3.2 billion, as of February 2021.[2]

Contents
    1 Early life
    2 Career
    3 Personal life
    4 References
    Early life
    He was born to a Jewish family[5] in Montreal, Quebec, the son of Leo Strulovitch.[3]

Career
    Stroll invested in bringing Pierre Cardin fashionwear and Ralph Lauren clothing to Canada. Along with Hong Kong investor Silas Chou, Stroll invested in clothing designer Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors, and the pair largely contributed to the multiple brands' global prevalence today.[6][1] In the 2000s, Chou and Stroll invested in Asprey & Garrard.[1]

Stroll owns the Canadian race car circuit Circuit Mont-Tremblant in Quebec's Laurentian Mountains.[7]

In August 2018, Stroll led a consortium of investors in buying the Force India Formula One team.[8] Renamed Racing Point Force India, and as a new team officially, they re-entered midway through the 2018 Formula One season and achieved 7th position in the Constructors' Championship.[9] For the 2019 season, the team name and entrant was changed once again to Racing Point F1 Team, with Lawrence's son Lance driving one of the cars, finishing in 7th position in the Constructors' Championship once again.[10]

On 31 January 2020 it was announced that Stroll led a consortium to invest £182 million into Aston Martin in return for 16.7% stake in the company.[11] The Racing Point F1 Team was re-branded as Aston Martin in 2021.[12]