Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2011?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Moneyball

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 rather easily

Was well done and is the 2nd best movie adaptation of the series behind Prisoner of Azkaban. Not a worthy “movie of the year” contented like any of the LOTR though
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bridesmaids
    The first time I watched Bridesmaids I fell asleep after 20 min and was convinced it was boring and was only funny to corny women. I was wrong. I have seen it a few times since and it's fucking hilarious. Kristin Wigg in the airplane and when she calls the stewardess Stove (you're named after an appliance) is one of the funniest scenes of all time. The dress fitting scene is amazing too. Funny movie.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,085
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 rather easily

After you're first complaint, I decided to boycott them completely.

Plus JK Rowling is really mean and insensitive.
    This confirms some suspicions.
  • Options
    LaocoönLaocoön Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 529
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bridesmaids

Here's an oddball, indie Brit-flick. It's fun.

Watched the trailer for this & added it to my Hulu to watch list. This type of movie is right in my wheelhouse!!
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,085
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    Also shout out to The Inbetweeners movie.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    The Help
    Bridesmaids is probably the right choice but I gotta go with this one. It checks a lot of boxes that always pique my interest:

Set in Mississippi
    Portrays race relations
    Has people eat shit
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    The Help
    dnc said:

Bridesmaids is probably the right choice but I gotta go with this one. It checks a lot of boxes that always pique my interest:

Set in Mississippi
    Portrays race relations
    Has people eat shit

Plus as a bully (due to self esteem issues obviously), it's always good for me to remind myself.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bridesmaids
    Fishpo31 said:

I was completely done with movies by this time. Saw Moneyball because global warming (no AC, no breeze, temps in the 90's). I worked in MLB at the time the book came out, and it was controversial (to say the least) in my circle, and I knew many of the people in the book, and portrayed in the film. Living through it, the effects of and reactions to the movie are as entertaining, if not more, than the film itself, for me. Fairly accurate, some of it Hollywooded it up...

It’s crazy moneyball took so long for executives to catch on. The same thing happened in the NBA with going small and shooting 3’s. It’s such an easy concept to grasp and it took Ivy League forks to make it happen.

In both cases, it hurt the game. MLB became a strikeout, walk, or HR game. NBA became dunk, 3’s, and FT’s game.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Moneyball

Fishpo31 said:

I was completely done with movies by this time. Saw Moneyball because global warming (no AC, no breeze, temps in the 90's). I worked in MLB at the time the book came out, and it was controversial (to say the least) in my circle, and I knew many of the people in the book, and portrayed in the film. Living through it, the effects of and reactions to the movie are as entertaining, if not more, than the film itself, for me. Fairly accurate, some of it Hollywooded it up...

It’s crazy moneyball took so long for executives to catch on. The same thing happened in the NBA with going small and shooting 3’s. It’s such an easy concept to grasp and it took Ivy League forks to make it happen.

In both cases, it hurt the game. MLB became a strikeout, walk, or HR game. NBA became dunk, 3’s, and FT’s game.
    This is the origin of the backlash against Beane / Oakland at that time amongst old school baseball people. There were several people / orgs that were doing the same thing the A's were, particularly Earl Weaver and the Orioles, back to the late 60's.

From the scout's perspective, it was based in risk management...focus on college players with a track record against better competition. Lower risk, lower reward, because they are closer to "who they are" when you get them. High school kids are looked at as "lumps of clay", in that you can shape them into what you want them to be, without the bad habits. The orgs I worked for placed high value on HS arms and bats (greater risk, greater reward). The main beef with the "baseball establishment" was that the book (and especially the movie was that it was a "Look at how smart this guy is / how smart I am" vibe, which was more Michael Lewis than Billy Beane.

It has played out pretty much as I thought it would, with a blending of the philosophies...
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,880
    dnc said:

Set in Mississippi
    Portrays race relations
    Has people eat shit

Uhh...batshit crazy redhead sex.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,964
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bridesmaids

dnc said:

Set in Mississippi
    Portrays race relations
    Has people eat shit

God I love red heads.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,880

dnc said:

Set in Mississippi
    Portrays race relations
    Has people eat shit

God I love red heads.
    #primelohan