Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2008?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The Dark Knight
    chuck said:

dnc said:

Can't believe no one has tagged @LesGrossman yet.

Tropic Thunder definitely belongs and I think I'd take it by a cunthair over Step Brothers for the year's comedy title. Hell of a pair.

But The Dark Knight was essentially* flawless. From the opening scene to the interrogation room to the car chase to Harvey Dent to Joker in a nursing uniform, there's just brilliance from start to finish.

Incredibly quotable for a comic book film as well. "Why so serious?" "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "What doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger." "Some men just want to watch the world burn." "The hero we deserve but not the hero we need." Comic book movies aren't particularly quotable but this one crushed it with a collection of great quotes, and from essentially all the key characters too.

*Only complaint was Gillenhall is a wholly unconvincing love interest for an egotistical billionaire. Katie Holmes was far superior. But the movie is so good and the love interest angle so insignificant that it didn't matter.

Agree on the Gillenhall-Holmes matter. I barwly noticed when Rachel died because I had stopped caring.

Truth is that I think Holmes is a shit actress but fits the part, while Gillenhall is a good one who doesn't.
    Agree
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The Dark Knight

Swaye said:

Skronger year than I'd expected. Dark Knight is teh tehts, best comic book ever, because it isn't really a comic book movie. Iron Man is maybe the best of the Marvel punch-press assembly line. The Wrestler is a great piece of hard-to-watch filmmaking, tremendous performance by Rourke. Gran Torino good. I like Slumdog too.

Wall-E belongs on the pick list, imo. And what's been funnier than Tropic Thunder since? I'm sure there's been some, but I can't think of them.

Good pull on Tropic Thunder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srH94OR1TbU

Not a Tom Cruise fan because he’s a nutcase Scientologist.

But I laugh like a hyena every time I watch the Les Grossman dance. Gonna bust that out at one of my daughter's wedding receptions.

Tom Cruise is a mindfuck for me. The guy's a Scientologist, nutjob, and by all accounts a massive douche. Buttfuck if he isn't amazing at his job and picks a boatload of awesome projects to work on. He's simply in too many of the movies I love (and good in them) to boycott. Just can't do it.
    Cruise is a great example of separately art from artist. He's a great actor and delivers the goods in just about everything. He was Jerry Ma-fuckin-Guire, @LesGrossman, and Vincent. Or the range just in Born on the 4th of July.
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Tropic Thunder definitely belongs and I think I'd take it by a cunthair over Step Brothers for the year's comedy title. Hell of a pair.

So much free MF'n PUB!!!

I don't know what kind of pan-pacific bullshit power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia Jack is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down an un-Godly fucking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I'm talking scorched earth, motherfucker! I will massacre you! I WILL FUCK YOU UP!
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The Dark Knight

dnc said:

So much free MF'n PUB!!!

I don't know what kind of pan-pacific bullshit power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia Jack is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down an un-Godly fucking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I'm talking scorched earth, motherfucker! I will massacre you! I WILL FUCK YOU UP!
    Someone find out who that was.