Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I was shocked UCLA had such a problem with Oregon's press. Oregon did turned the ball over a number of times and missed a number of free throws in the last 7 mins and they still beat them on account of UCLA being unable to deal with the press.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    For a while I thought it wasn't going to be Oregon's night. UCLA had a run there when they couldn't miss a shot and Oregon was floundering. Then all of a sudden a few turnovers and they crept closer and closer.

It'll be interesting to see how far they go.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

For a while I thought it wasn't going to be Oregon's night. UCLA had a run there when they couldn't miss a shot and Oregon was floundering. Then all of a sudden a few turnovers and they crept closer and closer.

Interior defense was poor, UCLA was killing it in the paint. And then they went more to a man to man defense and started pressing at every opportunity and UCLA couldn't handle it. You can always play the whatif game but if Oregon doesn't turn the ball over 5 times or more during that late stretch and hits their free-throws game would have been over earlier. First half was a fun watch if you don't care about defense.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2021
    SFGbob said:

Interior defense was poor, UCLA was killing it in the paint. And then they went more to a man to man defense and started pressing at every opportunity and UCLA couldn't handle it. You can always play the whatif game but if Oregon doesn't turn the ball over 5 times or more during that late stretch and hits their free-throws game would have been over earlier. First half was a fun watch if you don't care about defense.
    Agree. Basketball is a crazy game that way. At one point when Oregon was down 9, it seemed like UCLA came to play and it wasn't going to happen for the Ducks. Then at one point Oregon goes up, what, 10? with an opportunity to add to the margin. Like Walton (who is certifiable btw), basketball is so hugely dependent on momentum, and when it swings it swings. It's harder to turn the momentum in football. You aren't safe up by 9 with 4 minutes to go in hoops.

Altman really is a great coach.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

SFGbob said:

Best Pac12 basketball coach since Lute Olson. Not bad for the 5th choice in the post-Ernie embarrassment of a coaching search.

Tom Izzo! Coach K! That was peak UO athletics unwarranted hubris and arrogance.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2021

When was the last time Oregon lost in the first round?

Altman is one coach that always has his team improve as the season goes on. The first half of seasons, his teams always seem like NIT teams, then the second half of the year they look like a border line top 15-20 team. This tends to average them out in the 8-12 seed range, and everybody is always surprised by how well they do in the tourney. It isn't new, they've been doing this for years for the most part. Their seeding always seems to get weighted down by the first half of the season. There were a couple years where they were just special and this didn't apply.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2021
    I do feel bad for teams like Wisconsin a couple years ago. You get a 5 seed, then have to play a 12 seed Oregon team in the first round, that played more like a 3-4 seed at that point in time. The same Oregon team that almost upset the eventual champion Virginia in the Sweet 16.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Agree. Basketball is a crazy game that way. At one point when Oregon was down 9, it seemed like UCLA came to play and it wasn't going to happen for the Ducks. Then at one point Oregon goes up, what, 10? with an opportunity to add to the margin. Like Walton (who is certifiable btw), basketball is so hugely dependent on momentum, and when it swings it swings. It's harder to turn the momentum in football. You aren't safe up by 9 with 4 minutes to go in hoops.

His body of work is such now that you really can't deny it. His player also seem to love him.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Best Pac12 basketball coach since Lute Olson. Not bad for the 5th choice in the post-Ernie embarrassment of a coaching search.

That was so ridiculous. I don't blame the AD, hell if Izzo would have wanted to come for the money they were willing to pay more power to them but I can't believe Izzo ever seriously considered any offer from Oregon. Maybe Phil was saying he was willing to write a check.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I do feel bad for teams like Wisconsin a couple years ago. You get a 5 seed, then have to play a 12 seed Oregon team in the first round, that played more like a 3-4 seed at that point in time. The same Oregon team that almost upset the eventual champion Virginia in the Sweet 16.

Same thing happened to a good Oklahoma State team led by Marcus Smart in the 2013 NCAAs.

Instead of playint some #12 mid-major or some major conference also-ran they instead got an Oregon team that had just won the Pac12 tournament and was 26-8 heading into the tournament. Oregon beat the Cowboys easily.

An absolutely horrible #12 seeding that ended up helping the Ducks to the Sweet 16, where they lost 77-69 to eventual champ Louisville.

Bucknell and MTSU/St. Mary’s were 11 seeds that year.

Inexcusable and Okie State got screwed especially since they played the Ducks in San Jose.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2013-ncaa-tournament-oregon-a-12-seed-come-on-committee/amp/

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,069
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

That was so ridiculous. I don't blame the AD, hell if Izzo would have wanted to come for the money they were willing to pay more power to them but I can't believe Izzo ever seriously considered any offer from Oregon. Maybe Phil was saying he was willing to write a check.
    Super confused as to why trying to hire the best coach available is a black eye for Oregon. UW doesn't even get in the ring.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    SFGbob said:

I was shocked UCLA had such a problem with Oregon's press. Oregon did turned the ball over a number of times and missed a number of free throws in the last 7 mins and they still beat them on account of UCLA being unable to deal with the press.

Should have pressed the entire game. We did last year against ucla and they turned it over 15 times in the first half in a 30 point loss.

Lawson makes my eyes bleed on offense (it’s legit 4 on 5 with him out there) but his length is amazing as the tip of the spear in the press
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2021
    ntxduck said:

SFGbob said:

Should have pressed the entire game. We did last year against ucla and they turned it over 15 times in the first half in a 30 point loss.

Lawson makes my eyes bleed on offense (it’s legit 4 on 5 with him out there) but his length is amazing as the tip of the spear in the press
    He just doesn't look comfortable out there. Bad positioning on defense, slow to get into position to play good defense and to rebound. That turn over he had late in the game trying to get the ball to Eugene on the wing was brutal. Eugene's 2 travelling calls were also a little rough but his steal and stuff made up for it.

Altman has shortened his bench to about 7 players. Might be tough to press all game. UCLA was definitely not prepared for it when they finally clamped it down on them.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Once again Altman’s team comes together at the end of the season. For a shit show of a year for everyone in the PAC12, impressed to see Oregon in this spot. But one game at osu to finish the season. Not an easy win.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    USC hits a contested 3pt with 1.4 seconds left to beat UCLA 64-63. Their first lead of the game. Bruins blew two 1-and-1 opportunities in the last minute.

If the Ducks can win tomorrow in Corvallis, it’s back-to-back regular-season conference championships.

https://streamable.com/nhk4ng