Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Shoot me now...

HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
I'm 22 minutes into a certain famous energy conference this week and I'm listening to how electric bikes are going to be a game-changer in the new world order...this week is going to be rough.

And the VP of Lyft makes me want to never buy a share of their stock...

And to top it off the leader of the session just said COVID brought around some positive change...

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Bizarro world.

• Options
    Bill Gates is a very smart man...and the epitome of a Bond villain. Kinda frightening...
  • Options
    If you thought SPACs were great before you should love the fact that at an energy conference SPACs are being touted as the exciting new way to fund new and environmentally friendly energy...

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

If you thought SPACs were great before you should love the fact that at an energy conference SPACs are being touted as the exciting new way to fund new and environmentally friendly energy...

I got an invite for that conference, too.

SPACs are just a new take on the old LLPs.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2021
    There is also a new push on climate in the shareholder advocacy/governance watch groups. And the SEC recently announced a ref-focus on this issue. Which means companies will drop climate disclosure in the their 10-Ks, whether they believe it or think it affects them at all.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,808
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I got an invite for that conference, too.

SPACs are just a new take on the old LLPs.

Except for the public aspect. Now you don't even have to do any fundraising when the market does it for you.
  • Options
    John Kerry is insufferable...and not a bright person to boot...
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Bill Gates is a very smart man...and the epitome of a Bond villain. Kinda frightening...

I haven't gotten quite there with him. No, I don't think he's a saint; I think he acts selfishly in that he's smart enough to know that even with all his money, the broader condition of the world he lives in matters.

And in that respect, I think he acts out of what he thinks in the greater good. What I do worry about with him is this: he built something massive from nothing, is used to kicking ass and taking names and acting directly without a lot of checks to get done what he wants to get done. I see that same approach in him today. Coupled with the fact that he is a smart dude, but has also had praise lauded on him for most of his life about how smart he is, and has operated in a space in which the world hangs on his every word.

That kind of guy is still capable of being wrong, he doesn't know everything, he has vices and biases like the rest of us, and he is able to just pick his experts and run. In that sense, yes, I think Gates can be dangerous.

The short version of this essay is: Gates hasn't, to my knowledge, been humbled very often in his life. He's right all the time because his legions of sychophants tell him so.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,999
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I haven't gotten quite there with him. No, I don't think he's a saint; I think he acts selfishly in that he's smart enough to know that even with all his money, the broader condition of the world he lives in matters.

And in that respect, I think he acts out of what he thinks in the greater good. What I do worry about with him is this: he built something massive from nothing, is used to kicking ass and taking names and acting directly without a lot of checks to get done what he wants to get done. I see that same approach in him today. Coupled with the fact that he is a smart dude, but has also had praise lauded on him for most of his life about how smart he is, and has operated in a space in which the world hangs on his every word.

That kind of guy is still capable of being wrong, he doesn't know everything, he has vices and biases like the rest of us, and he is able to just pick his experts and run. In that sense, yes, I think Gates can be dangerous.

The short version of this essay is: Gates hasn't, to my knowledge, been humbled very often in his life. He's right all the time because his legions of sychophants tell him so.
    Creep, I agree on Gates.

Assuming there is no middle, do you think Gates (at this point in his life) is a right leaning leftist or a left leaning conservative?

Or a conservative trying to appear leftist or even a leftist playing conservative?

• Options
    Jennifer Granholm is not a serious person.