Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2008?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 2008? 27 votes

Gran Torino
33%
RaceBannonFire_Marshall_BillSwayechuckdfleaPurpleThrobberBad_MotherDuckerspudenYellowSnow 9 votes
The Wrastler
7%
DerekJohnsonJoeEDangerously 2 votes
The Hurt Locker
0%
Slumdog Millionare
11%
BennyBeaveralumni94El_K 3 votes
Iron Man
0%
The Dark Knight
37%
RoadDawg55Mad_SondncTequillabiak1GrundleStiltzkinhuskyhooliganNEsnake12LaocoönNeighbor2972 10 votes
Milk
0%
Step Brothers
11%
greenbloodAtomicDawgYouKnowIt 3 votes
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
0%
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
0%

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Gran Torino

Skronger year than I'd expected. Dark Knight is teh tehts, best comic book ever, because it isn't really a comic book movie. Iron Man is maybe the best of the Marvel punch-press assembly line. The Wrestler is a great piece of hard-to-watch filmmaking, tremendous performance by Rourke. Gran Torino good. I like Slumdog too.

Wall-E belongs on the pick list, imo. And what's been funnier than Tropic Thunder since? I'm sure there's been some, but I can't think of them.

Good pull on Tropic Thunder!

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The Dark Knight
    Swaye said:

Skronger year than I'd expected. Dark Knight is teh tehts, best comic book ever, because it isn't really a comic book movie. Iron Man is maybe the best of the Marvel punch-press assembly line. The Wrestler is a great piece of hard-to-watch filmmaking, tremendous performance by Rourke. Gran Torino good. I like Slumdog too.

Wall-E belongs on the pick list, imo. And what's been funnier than Tropic Thunder since? I'm sure there's been some, but I can't think of them.

This got me thinking. Here's one list, of I'm sure many.
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-comedy-movies-2010s/

Some really good movies chincluded that aren't comedies. Irregardless, what's better on that list than Tropic Thunder as a comedy?

Kudos to them for shouting out Death of Stalin though. Completely different comedy than Tropic Thunder, but it is great.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Slumdog Millionare

Swaye said:

Kudos to them for shouting out Death of Stalin though.
    Careful.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gran Torino

Swaye said:

This got me thinking. Here's one list, of I'm sure many.
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-comedy-movies-2010s/

Some really good movies chincluded that aren't comedies. Irregardless, what's better on that list than Tropic Thunder as a comedy?

Kudos to them for shouting out Death of Stalin though. Completely different comedy than Tropic Thunder, but it is great.
    I loved Death of Stalin.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Step Brothers
    I personally think Gran Torino is the best, but I need to give some props to one of the most underrated comedies. This movie doesn't get enough credit.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gran Torino
    I never wanted Christian Bale and Clint to have to battle it out. Clint wins this one. It was close though.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,958
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Step Brothers
    Gran Torino and the wrestler are better movies. But step brothers value of watching it over again and again and it never gets old is truly amazing in its own genre.
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,288
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The Dark Knight
    Good year for comedies, genre, and superhero movies, pretty bad year for dramas
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No hill worth dying on this year.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Dark Knight
    Almost went Iron Man. It basically ushered in the most successful movie franchise of the last 13 years with all of the Avengers and spin offs.

Some solid comedy with Semi Pro, and Step Brothers.

Wall-E is great.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,660
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021
    Gran Torino
    Swaye said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srH94OR1TbU

Not a Tom Cruise fan because he’s a nutcase Scientologist.

But I laugh like a hyena every time I watch the Les Grossman dance. Gonna bust that out at one of my daughter's wedding receptions.

• NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The Dark Knight
    Gran Torino is terrific. Step Brothers is one of the most re-watchable and quotable comedies ever.

But Dark Knight is takes it for me just because of how good Heath Ledger is in it. He’s able to portray Anton Chigurh’s level of commanding menace while at the same time nodding to the Joker character’s quirky psychotic tendencies. The interrogation room scene is one of my favorite of all time
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,719
    Founders Club
    The Wrastler
    Three great choices from that year
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,719
    Founders Club
    The Wrastler
    IP Man was also awesome, though I remember few details
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited March 2021
    The Dark Knight
    Can't believe no one has tagged @LesGrossman yet.

Tropic Thunder definitely belongs and I think I'd take it by a cunthair over Step Brothers for the year's comedy title. Hell of a pair.

But The Dark Knight was essentially* flawless. From the opening scene to the interrogation room to the car chase to Harvey Dent to Joker in a nursing uniform, there's just brilliance from start to finish.

Incredibly quotable for a comic book film as well. "Why so serious?" "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "What doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger." "Some men just want to watch the world burn." "The hero we deserve but not the hero we need." Comic book movies aren't particularly quotable but this one crushed it with a collection of great quotes, and from essentially all the key characters too.

*Only complaint was Gillenhall is a wholly unconvincing love interest for an egotistical billionaire. Katie Holmes was far superior. But the movie is so good and the love interest angle so insignificant that it didn't matter.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gran Torino
    dnc said:

Can't believe no one has tagged @LesGrossman yet.

Tropic Thunder definitely belongs and I think I'd take it by a cunthair over Step Brothers for the year's comedy title. Hell of a pair.

But The Dark Knight was essentially* flawless. From the opening scene to the interrogation room to the car chase to Harvey Dent to Joker in a nursing uniform, there's just brilliance from start to finish.

Incredibly quotable for a comic book film as well. "Why so serious?" "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "What doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger." "Some men just want to watch the world burn." "The hero we deserve but not the hero we need." Comic book movies aren't particularly quotable but this one crushed it with a collection of great quotes, and from essentially all the key characters too.

*Only complaint was Gillenhall is a wholly unconvincing love interest for an egotistical billionaire. Katie Holmes was far superior. But the movie is so good and the love interest angle so insignificant that it didn't matter.

Agree on the Gillenhall-Holmes matter. I barwly noticed when Rachel died because I had stopped caring.

Truth is that I think Holmes is a shit actress but fits the part, while Gillenhall is a good one who doesn't.