Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What Mutual Funds Should I Invest In?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,998
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Does the profession of stockbroker still exist? Or did vanguard pretty much end it?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Does the profession of stockbroker still exist? Or did vanguard pretty much end it?

Good question. Vanguard ... and the internet?

Dave says Growth, Growth & Income, Agressive Growth, and International. I'm seeing a pattern here.

I wonder if he would recommend that to someone in middle age as opposed to early career investors. Dave can afford to lose it. If you're north of 50, it's another story. He didn't mention bond funds once.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Correct answer is none.

Find 2-3 ETF's/Index funds (one domestic only SPY, one world fund Vanguard total World Market would suffice, and if you lean on the conservative side either a US centered or whole world Bond Fund) and you will beat 95% plus of all active managed accounts why doing it with less fees and risk.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    godawgst said:

Correct answer is none.

Find 2-3 ETF's/Index funds (one domestic only SPY, one world fund Vanguard total World Market would suffice, and if you lean on the conservative side either a US centered or whole world Bond Fund) and you will beat 95% plus of all active managed accounts why doing it with less fees and risk.

Yeah, I have been buying ETFs for years.

As some one who has never had an inside of the box thought is it possible to predict (time) the market based upon technical analysis of a total market index fund?

Yeah, I know, if it could be done it already would have been done. . . ..but still.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,840
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    USMChawk said:

Good question. Vanguard ... and the internet?

Dave says Growth, Growth & Income, Agressive Growth, and International. I'm seeing a pattern here.

I wonder if he would recommend that to someone in middle age as opposed to early career investors. Dave can afford to lose it. If you're north of 50, it's another story. He didn't mention bond funds once.
    I think he recommends backing off on the higher risk investments which is the Aggressive Growth. Personally, I ditched international last year because it’s been a dog on my portfolio for decades.
    USA! USA! USA!

TTTTT, I know.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    godawgst said:

Correct answer is none.

I am all about this, but am in something closer to 10 index funds, with the first focus being zero/super low fees.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

Correct answer is none.

This is the advice I’m giving my daughters, re: ETFs. I’m recommending they put a third into SPY, a third into Russell 2000, and the last third for stocks. I realize I left out International investments but that’s a personal bias. They’re young enough they probably should put some there as well.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’s always been fake business.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,579
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter