Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

1994 Orange Bowl #1 Florida State vs #2 Nebraska No Huddle

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Florida State was nails back then. A preview of what was to come from Nebraska with Frazier et al.

One thing has always mystified me: that Nebraska program was as out of control and dangerous to its campus community as any program ever, and that rep. never stuck.

Miami would headline news for bullshit that wouldn't even be discussed today. And you had that fucking program that was entirely run amuck. Osbourne always carried that Nebraska classy clean rep; but that fucker sold his soul to the devil to have that mid-90s run he had.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Florida State was nails back then. A preview of what was to come from Nebraska with Frazier et al.

One thing has always mystified me: that Nebraska program was as out of control and dangerous to its campus community as any program ever, and that rep. never stuck.

Miami would headline news for bullshit that wouldn't even be discussed today. And you had that fucking program that was entirely run amuck. Osbourne always carried that Nebraska classy clean rep; but that fucker sold his soul to the devil to have that mid-90s run he had.

and now Nebraska has become Minnesota
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

- lincoln may as well have been on mars when it came to sports reporting, no major news outlets

- with that said, husk football was protected at all costs on campus, husks football put nebraska on the map

- miami suits never cozied up to the idea of football, i think miami gave a fuck about football for a while until it was 'we're a private school, we want to be 'the harvard of the south' we cant be known for football. hey reporter people, look at all this bad shit our football team is doing'
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited February 2021

- lincoln may as well have been on mars when it came to sports reporting, no major news outlets

- with that said, husk football was protected at all costs on campus, husks football put nebraska on the map

- miami suits never cozied up to the idea of football, i think miami gave a fuck about football for a while until it was 'we're a private school, we want to be 'the harvard of the south' we cant be known for football. hey reporter people, look at all this bad shit our football team is doing'
    there's a lot of truth to that, except for a small adjustment to your timeline. Tad Foote III (with that name how could he be anything other than a dickhead academic) wanted to convert Miami's suntan U rep to serious academis rep before Schnelly even. He wanted to create another Vanderbilt, in his own words. Then Schnelly comes and gets a natty with a mostly gentile type of team, but was already recruiting some boyz. Then Jimmy comes in and turns them loose and boom! But honestly what was going on at Nebraska was worse. Miami was a complicated mix of 'in your face' urban black culture before the country was ready for it, committed the sin of embarrassing Notre Dame, did some actual bad shit like the Pell Grant scandal, and then the rep was set. My only contention is that the REACTION to the rep at Miami was often disproportionate to the offense, and a lot of other schools did as much or worse and didn't suffer the public relations consequences. NU is at the top of that list. SI would have never published an article with a cover saying that Nebraska should drop football. They didn't do it for Oklahoma either, and that was perhaps THE most out of control program of them all during Switzer's time.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,957
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

there's a lot of truth to that, except for a small adjustment to your timeline. Tad Foote III (with that name how could he be anything other than a dickhead academic) wanted to convert Miami's suntan U rep to serious academis rep before Schnelly even. He wanted to create another Vanderbilt, in his own words. Then Schnelly comes and gets a natty with a mostly gentile type of team, but was already recruiting some boyz. Then Jimmy comes in and turns them loose and boom! But honestly what was going on at Nebraska was worse. Miami was a complicated mix of 'in your face' urban black culture before the country was ready for it, committed the sin of embarrassing Notre Dame, did some actual bad shit like the Pell Grant scandal, and then the rep was set. My only contention is that the REACTION to the rep at Miami was often disproportionate to the offense, and a lot of other schools did as much or worse and didn't suffer the public relations consequences. NU is at the top of that list. SI would have never published an article with a cover saying that Nebraska should drop football. They didn't do it for Oklahoma either, and that was perhaps THE most out of control program of them all during Switzer's time.
    I think it was the taunting. Miami was more about rubbing your nose it in it and outlandish. Not that Nebraska was choir boys, but they seemed to have a tighter leash on press interviews and on field antics.

Off the field they all had their problems.