Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Will Gov't have to invest in stock market to keep Soc. Security Solvent?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
The path it's on is not sustainable, unless the gov't wants to keep raising the age requirement and increase tax they take in on workers.

I could see one day a two prong system that people choose which one they want to be a part of

The first is structured just like the current one

The second is a portion of your taxes is put into the S and P 500 with the guarantee there is a backstop or minimum you will get, however if over the 40/50 years you have averaged making 7% as an example, the Gov't gets to keep 2% of it or something like that.

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogie said:

Lol

If the Gov't attempts to fix the shortfall and not just print more money, how do you think they will try to make it solvent?

What is going on currently is a upside down pyramid scheme where there are less and less people paying in to support more and more people who are all living longer and taking even more dollars.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    godawgst said:

The path it's on is not sustainable, unless the gov't wants to keep raising the age requirement and increase tax they take in on workers.

I could see one day a two prong system that people choose which one they want to be a part of

The first is structured just like the current one

The second is a portion of your taxes is put into the S and P 500 with the guarantee there is a backstop or minimum you will get, however if over the 40/50 years you have averaged making 7% as an example, the Gov't gets to keep 2% of it or something like that.

The Government just raises taxes. They don't want to be capped at 2%.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    and you want Guarantees? Ain’t no guarantees. Sorry. Backstops are for baseball and Banks
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    They could raise the income cap of 120k or whatever it is now. I know that's sacrilege to some here.
  • Options

They could raise the income cap of 120k or whatever it is now. I know that's sacrilege to some here.

You mean like they've continually done?
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    godawgst said:

doogie said:

Lol

If the Gov't attempts to fix the shortfall and not just print more money, how do you think they will try to make it solvent?

What is going on currently is a upside down pyramid scheme where there are less and less people paying in to support more and more people who are all living longer and taking even more dollars.
    I think you mean ponzi scheme
  • Options

godawgst said:

doogie said:

Lol

I think you mean ponzi scheme
    Mostly peaceful ponzi scheme.

(stoking the Tug/Finance board wars)

@RaceBannon
    @creepycoug
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    They might, but I think it would be more the govt trying to prop up the stock market than anything else. Otherwise I expect the Fed to start buying index funds in the next couple years ala Japan...can't let the S&P go down...