Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Swipe the Card - National Debt

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ginaheeb/2021/02/11/national-debt-set-to-become-larger-than-the-entire-us-economy-cbo-says/?sh=697f814a1e8e

Over the next decade, the national debt is expected to reach a record high of 107% of GDP. This is before Biden's new round of stimulus.

On Wednesday, Federal Reserve Chairman Jay Powell, a Republican himself, expressed alarm about the high unemployment rate and said that now was not the right time to focus on the national debt. Ok! Jay!

Some hope for GDP to return to pre-pandemic levels because Vaccines! Sounds like wishful thinking, but I sure hope so.

Comments

• Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Great documentary released a few years back on the Fed and how we've handled the recovery from 2008 to now. Long story short, nobody wants to be the person to say "we need to put the brakes on the economy" even if the economy badly needs to be slowed down. All we've done since 2008 is stimulate our way out of a recession with greater and greater stimulus being needed to keep the party rolling. How long will it last? Who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0obw6PbCU
  • Options
    This thread is worthless without @HoustonHusky .

Don't have an hour right now, but will watch this later today and report back. Looks like a good one. Thanks for posting it.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2021

Great documentary released a few years back on the Fed and how we've handled the recovery from 2008 to now. Long story short, nobody wants to be the person to say "we need to put the brakes on the economy" even if the economy badly needs to be slowed down. All we've done since 2008 is stimulate our way out of a recession with greater and greater stimulus being needed to keep the party rolling. How long will it last? Who knows?

Hadn't seen this but guessing I'm of similar mindset...I'll try and watch it this weekend as well.

The entire business cycle is based on expansions and contractions (where all the poor business decisions come back to haunt folks)...the idea of the "Great Moderation" cheered on by the Central Bankers where the cycles aren't as severely because of the increased size/diversity of the economy has somehow mutated to the idea that the government and indirectly the Fed should print money to paper over/prevent any possible downturn.

Its comically stupid from a bunch of supposedly smart people.

• Options

Hadn't seen this but guessing I'm of similar mindset...I'll try and watch it this weekend as well.

The entire business cycle is based on expansions and contractions (where all the poor business decisions come back to haunt folks)...the idea of the "Great Moderation" cheered on by the Central Bankers where the cycles aren't as severely because of the increased size/diversity of the economy has somehow mutated to the idea that the government and indirectly the Fed should print money to paper over/prevent any possible downturn.

I think @louism2wash nailed it: nobody wants to be the one to say, "Let's let the economy cool down a little."

Of course, they wouldn't be, because that would pre-suppose the economy needed cooling down. The real economy doesn't. What you really don't want to be is the guy who says, "Let's stop this charade and let the shit hit the fan because that would be keeping it real."

And frankly, I wouldn't want to be that guy either. But the chickens will come home to roost eventually. They always do.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,085
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think @louism2wash nailed it: nobody wants to be the one to say, "Let's let the economy cool down a little."

Of course, they wouldn't be, because that would pre-suppose the economy needed cooling down. The real economy doesn't. What you really don't want to be is the guy who says, "Let's stop this charade and let the shit hit the fan because that would be keeping it real."

And frankly, I wouldn't want to be that guy either. But the chickens will come home to roost eventually. They always do.
    Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, and Bush 1 agree. Bush 2 as well but it was his second term

Pretty sure both parties now fix the numbers with accounting tricks and they aren't going to volunteer to be the one out front

Headline today - new unemployment claims down in California!!!111!!!. Well most of us are on old claims. And before the pandemic when UI had an expiration date they stopped counting you as unemployed when your bennies ran out

At this point we better hope they can keep it going
  • Options

The entire point of the Fed was that they weren't political and weren't elected officials...they don't have to say we don't want the economy to do anything. And heck in reality they can say they want to the economy to grow bigly. NOCs. They just had to say we aren't going to monetize the debt to do it. Never would have been in this mess if they had set that limit a long time ago...and in the process they would have forced Congress to behave a long time ago.

Unfortunately these morons just thought they were smart enough to do it "right" so it would make things better. And if you look at their history its a pretty similar path to most drug addicts. Start with just a little when you needed when you were down...just a little larger hit...a little more often...evolved the last 10 years into becoming a constant user...tried to get off the smack in 2018 and couldn't when everyone screamed about the stock market...and now they have spent the last year curled up on a Seattle street corner shaking violently high as a kite telling everyone they just need a few more hits but they will stop using next year maybe.

Leads to another interesting conversation had with a coworker yesterday. If the Fed hadn't printed money to basically transfer wealth to the upper classes and keep assets and specifically the stock market riding high does anyone really think the govt behavior would have been the same? Would the same people lecturing everybody to stay home and not do anything be saying that if their retirement savings shrank 50%. The Covid discussion belongs in the Tug, but don't think anybody can argue the Fed and the Fed alone ended up setting all the policy the last year.

Fantastic post. Disagree, though, that any part of it belongs in the Tug. We can talk about this here. Mantra here is if it relates to the economy we can chew on it.

This is all to say, fiscal discipline. It's never fun, but you're usually glad you did it later on. On this point it's almost apoltical, because we all know Trump was a spender too, and he was all over the Fed when they were talking about (and did as I recall) tweak rates ever so slightly. He was afraid of what it would do to his beautiful economy. In the end, I'm afraid, politicians, all of them (and Trump became one once he got there) have all learned the lesson: it's the economy stupid. Nobody will ever succeed in the oval office making decisions that in the short term pour water on the economis.
  • Options

Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, and Bush 1 agree. Bush 2 as well but it was his second term

Pretty sure both parties now fix the numbers with accounting tricks and they aren't going to volunteer to be the one out front

Headline today - new unemployment claims down in California!!!111!!!. Well most of us are on old claims. And before the pandemic when UI had an expiration date they stopped counting you as unemployed when your bennies ran out

This. That statistic is about as useless as tits on a boar.
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 341
    @HoustonHusky: "Would the same people lecturing everybody to stay home and not do anything be saying that if their retirement savings shrank 50%."

I agree with this. This also brings up an interesting predicament that 401Ks have put our country in... can any politician really afford to let the market "correct" that way markets, in theory, should? I think a huge reason that we're in the place we are now is because letting the market collapse would mean that 401Ks would be worth half as much and we'd have a crisis of retirement-age folks going on food stamps.

The old pension system didn't make sense because it assumed that companies would grow forever(which they don't). I feel like we've now created an environment where the markets are now forced to "grow forever" because it's politically unfeasible to let the markets correct. Could you imagine what would happen to our society if we had a Japan-style, multi-decade recession happen?
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Agree completely, but I'd also argue the crazy low rates of the Fed the last 10+ years resulted in the leveraging up of everything including companies/the stock market which destroyed the realistic expectations of everything.

And the problem isn't retirement-age folks going on food stamps...its the upper class retirement-age folks not having a boat and buying a new iPad every year. Average 401k holding for folks 50+ is something like $170k, but the median is only something like $60k.
    https://www.personalcapital.com/blog/retirement-planning/average-401k-balance-age/
    And that's for the people who have 401ks, which is only something like 1/3 of the population (may be a bit higher for those over 50...hadn't seen that data):
    https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/06/19/does-the-average-american-have-a-401k.aspx

Average retirement-age folks aren't depending on the stock market for retirement...they are depending on a few assets if they are lucky and a SS check. And working until they are really old. Its the upper class folks that are. And magically enough a subset of those folks are the ones making policy for the masses.

Agree with your pension system using unfunded assets and a "constantly growing company" assumption. Japan is an interesting and good comparison...as somebody else also mentioned the largest stock shareholder for most companies there is their Central Bank. I expect that process to kick in here whenever there is a stock downturn because of the the reasons you pointed out.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

@HoustonHusky: "Would the same people lecturing everybody to stay home and not do anything be saying that if their retirement savings shrank 50%."

I agree with this. This also brings up an interesting predicament that 401Ks have put our country in... can any politician really afford to let the market "correct" that way markets, in theory, should? I think a huge reason that we're in the place we are now is because letting the market collapse would mean that 401Ks would be worth half as much and we'd have a crisis of retirement-age folks going on food stamps.

The old pension system didn't make sense because it assumed that companies would grow forever(which they don't). I feel like we've now created an environment where the markets are now forced to "grow forever" because it's politically unfeasible to let the markets correct. Could you imagine what would happen to our society if we had a Japan-style, multi-decade recession happen?

I was thinking literally the same thing as I mused over this thread. One could say that the "American Dream" is part of what makes all of this so difficult in that the dream presupposes that you get to retire at 60, travel to Europe with your wife and live in your house independent of family until you die. I remember my grandfather long ago telling me that in his time (born just after the turn of the century), retirement meant trusting your family to take care of you. When you couldn't work in Cuba you couldn't eat.

My wife's grand parents told similar stories. My wife's family were pioneer settlers in the Grays Harbor area and raised cattle on a ranch (they still own the land). My MIL's uncles would tell her when she was little, "don't be jealous of those kids who live up on the hill in town. you get to eat meat with all of your meals; they get to once or twice a week maybe," and they weren't kidding. It was a collective of siblings who built their own houses on this property and they invested in timber, ranched, etc. They felt lucky because when they got old the younger generation would take over and run things and take care of them. My family in Cuba did the same thing, but w/o the timber and ranching. You got old, you sat in a rocking chair and lived with or near someone who was bringing in money and looked after you on your way out.

Now everyone expects this great ending, which is fine, but perhaps we're finding it's unrealistic for everybody to have it???? Goes back to my earlier question: is it a good thing that everybody has retirement savings in the market? If pensions didn't work, then it's good old fashioned "save what you can" and then hope that's enough or that your kids will take care of you.

Totally agree with everything you and @HoustonHusky have said. Everybody in the club should read this thread.
  • Options

Agree completely, but I'd also argue the crazy low rates of the Fed the last 10+ years resulted in the leveraging up of everything including companies/the stock market which destroyed the realistic expectations of everything.

And the problem isn't retirement-age folks going on food stamps...its the upper class retirement-age folks not having a boat and buying a new iPad every year. Average 401k holding for folks 50+ is something like $170k, but the median is only something like $60k.
    https://www.personalcapital.com/blog/retirement-planning/average-401k-balance-age/
    And that's for the people who have 401ks, which is only something like 1/3 of the population (may be a bit higher for those over 50...hadn't seen that data):
    https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/06/19/does-the-average-american-have-a-401k.aspx

Average retirement-age folks aren't depending on the stock market for retirement...they are depending on a few assets if they are lucky and a SS check. And working until they are really old. Its the upper class folks that are. And magically enough a subset of those folks are the ones making policy for the masses.

Agree with your pension system using unfunded assets and a "constantly growing company" assumption. Japan is an interesting and good comparison...as somebody else also mentioned the largest stock shareholder for most companies there is their Central Bank. I expect that process to kick in here whenever there is a stock downturn because of the the reasons you pointed out.

Bingo. See my post to @louism2wash .
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wonder at this point, even if someone at the Fed had the stones to try and pump the breaks would anyone in congress and or the President go along with it, and if they did could it even work. Didn't we start running deficits 50 years ago?

Have we printed so much money that we are past the point of no return?

I've wondered for the last decade if we had a national VAT tax of 1-2% with the understanding that the ONLY place it can go is to help paydown the debt would help walk us back, but am also aware that w/ politicians the tax only would keep going up and eventually it would just fall in the general budget.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,212
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    godawgst said:

I wonder at this point, even if someone at the Fed had the stones to try and pump the breaks would anyone in congress and or the President go along with it, and if they did could it even work. Didn't we start running deficits 50 years ago?

I've wondered for the last decade if we had a national VAT tax of 1-2% with the understanding that the ONLY place it can go is to help paydown the debt would help walk us back, but am also aware that w/ politicians the tax only would keep going up and eventually it would just fall in the general budget.

Sounds good on the surface. Just don’t structure it like a Euro VAT, too complicated for small business. Wayfair vs SD was a good thing for big business, they can easily absorb the administration of it. It was a big hurt to smallish companies that sell across multiple states. Just implementing and running Avalara (which is a good product by the way) is the cost equivalent of ~half a headcount.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,636
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Bob_C said:

godawgst said:

Sounds good on the surface. Just don’t structure it like a Euro VAT, too complicated for small business. Wayfair vs SD was a good thing for big business, they can easily absorb the administration of it. It was a big hurt to smallish companies that sell across multiple states. Just implementing and running Avalara (which is a good product by the way) is the cost equivalent of ~half a headcount.
    My issue with most regulation is that only businesses with teams of lawyers, hr, etc can navigate it.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Bob_C said:

godawgst said:

You think Congress is there to pass laws that help the little guy?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

"A Keleven gets you home by seven"
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    godawgst said:

Politicians know paying off the debt doesn't get you re-elected.