Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture 1987?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Good Morning Vietnam!!! I'm mean really there are good movies on the list but this comedy is as good today as it was then. When we were blowing the game against Utah this year and had the fucked up punt fiasco i had to put the game on pause and mix a bourbon and watch GMV with my wife to cheer myself up before watching the rest of the game.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,337
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wall Street
    Kids died at Parris Island

That first half of the movie is must watch
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Full Metal Jacket
    Swaye said:

The deal with FMJ is it is the closest you can ever get to Marine Corps boot camp experience in that era. I know this because my Dad (RIP) was a Marine who arrived in Parris Island in 1961 for fun times with DIs. I watched this movie with him many years ago and he told me Boot Camp was EXACTLY like they filmed it. No Hollywood bullshit. Exact interpretation of that experience. Nobody but R Lee Ermey, or some other REAL former DI, could have pulled it off. It's perfection.

Add to that 2 Live Crew sampling the hooker for "Me So Horny" and a legend is born.

R Lee had an amazing appearance on Carolla pod in 2015, including stories of running a whorehouse not from the Marine base on Okinawa.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Full Metal Jacket

Swaye said:

The deal with FMJ is it is the closest you can ever get to Marine Corps boot camp experience in that era. I know this because my Dad (RIP) was a Marine who arrived in Parris Island in 1961 for fun times with DIs. I watched this movie with him many years ago and he told me Boot Camp was EXACTLY like they filmed it. No Hollywood bullshit. Exact interpretation of that experience. Nobody but R Lee Ermey, or some other REAL former DI, could have pulled it off. It's perfection.

Add to that 2 Live Crew sampling the hooker for "Me So Horny" and a legend is born.

R Lee had an amazing appearance on Carolla pod in 2015, including stories of running a whorehouse not far from the Marine base on Okinawa.
    * not far from, fyfmfe

Anyone wants to listen, PM. I've save that one.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Empire of The Sun
    biak1 said:

Gladstone said:

My real answer is The Princess Bride, but I had to cast a sentimental vote for this one.

In my youth I was an expat kid living in Shanghai so I massively over-identified with this movie, and I find that time period (1920s-1945) in APAC endlessly fascinating. And horrifying.

Cadillac of the Sky!

• Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Full Metal Jacket
    As everyone else has stated, opening of FMJ is amazing. But, I think the whole movie is great and will watch if I see it’s on regardless of where in the movie I happen to join. Princess Bride a not too distant second place for me.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Wall Street
    Good Morning Vietnam and The Untouchables are great ...

But have you not seen my avatar?