Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Story time: How UW fucked up the 2021 class (Long)

insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
First weekend of indoor dining reopening and I immediately ditched the wife and kids at home to get shitfaced at the closest watering hole. Ran into an old acquaintance who is dialed into the local HS football scene and also has some contacts within the UW football department. He had some interesting insight into what he's heard was the main driver behind the underwhelming 2021 recruiting class.

To my surprise it wasn't the lazy coach hires, the disappointing 2019 season, or even the uncertainty of Lake as a first time head coach. He pinpointed the biggest reason was the removal of Cooper Petagna and promotion of Justin Glenn as the director of recruiting. Cooper came from a strong pedigree with experience at Alabama, LSU, and Michigan before joining UW in 2018. Extremely detail oriented, organized, and a key contributor in building up the UW recruiting machine (yes, the type of guy I want to fuck my daughter, ISANFRC). His role was behind the scenes (social media engagement and marketing strategy, targeted communication with recruits, getting administrative items sorted out, managing communication with high schools and coaches, etc) and he wasn't allowed to have direct communication with recruits except on OVs.

Why the change? Lake wanted to distance himself from the CP "OKG" brand and thought it would be a good move to install a former player with more passion and energy as the face of the recruiting team. Glenn is popular within the program but he absolutely did not have the experience or skillset to run the entire recruiting operation. Lake was semi aware of this but assumed the recruiting assistants would help hold his hand as he grew into the position. That backfired when Cooper poached his top assistant who joined him at Oregon.

So even before COVID hit, the recruiting department was going into the critical 2021 cycle in a state of flux without an experienced leader in charge. When COVID shut everything down UW was caught with their pants down and had no idea how to pivot. Meanwhile Cooper took his methodical approach to Eugene and paired with the Oregon marketing machine they signed the best class in school history despite a 4-3 season. It's not a coincidence that for the first time in a while Oregon beat UW in head to head recruiting battles (Franklin, Moliki, Walden, etc).

Overall he's heard that in a normal year Glenn's inexperience probably wouldn't have had such an impact but it was a tough spot for someone brand new to the job to be in. It was unfair to Glenn because Lake put him in a position where he wasn't qualified for and was setup to fail. Things should improve going forward but it was still an incredibly risky and boneheaded decision. I have no reason to think my source made any of this shit up and it was obvious someone within the program fed him this info.

TL:DR Lake's questionable personnel decisions extended to off the field positions too. Firing Cooper and promoting Glenn helped torpedo the 2021 class. Lake's poor judgement should be a major concern to fans until proven otherwise.

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

First weekend of indoor dining reopening and I immediately ditched the wife and kids at home to get shitfaced at the closest watering hole. Ran into an old acquaintance who is dialed into the local HS football scene and also has some contacts within the UW football department. He had some interesting insight into what he's heard was the main driver behind the underwhelming 2021 recruiting class.

To my surprise it wasn't the lazy coach hires, the disappointing 2019 season, or even the uncertainty of Lake as a first time head coach. He pinpointed the biggest reason was the removal of Cooper Petagna and promotion of Justin Glenn as the director of recruiting. Cooper came from a strong pedigree with experience at Alabama, LSU, and Michigan before joining UW in 2018. Extremely detail oriented, organized, and a key contributor in building up the UW recruiting machine (yes, the type of guy I want to fuck my daughter, ISANFRC). His role was behind the scenes (social media engagement and marketing strategy, targeted communication with recruits, getting administrative items sorted out, managing communication with high schools and coaches, etc) and he wasn't allowed to have direct communication with recruits except on OVs.

Why the change? Lake wanted to distance himself from the CP "OKG" brand and thought it would be a good move to install a former player with more passion and energy as the face of the recruiting team. Glenn is popular within the program but he absolutely did not have the experience or skillset to run the entire recruiting operation. Lake was semi aware of this but assumed the recruiting assistants would help hold his hand as he grew into the position. That backfired when Cooper poached his top assistant who joined him at Oregon.

So even before COVID hit, the recruiting department was going into the critical 2021 cycle in a state of flux without an experienced leader in charge. When COVID shut everything down UW was caught with their pants down and had no idea how to pivot. Meanwhile Cooper took his methodical approach to Eugene and paired with the Oregon marketing machine they signed the best class in school history despite a 4-3 season. It's not a coincidence that for the first time in a while Oregon beat UW in head to head recruiting battles (Franklin, Moliki, Walden, etc).

Overall he's heard that in a normal year Glenn's inexperience probably wouldn't have had such an impact but it was a tough spot for someone brand new to the job to be in. It was unfair to Glenn because Lake put him in a position where he wasn't qualified for and was setup to fail. Things should improve going forward but it was still an incredibly risky and boneheaded decision. I have no reason to think my source made any of this shit up and it was obvious someone within the program fed him this info.

TL:DR Lake's questionable personnel decisions extended to off the field positions too. Firing Cooper and promoting Glenn helped torpedo the 2021 class. Lake's poor judgement should be a major concern to fans until proven otherwise.

Slick jimmy does it again
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Nobody seems to have any answers why Cooper left Oregon. Seemed pretty broad, "pursue other opportunities". Was he fired from Oregon?
  • Options

Yet another entry on a long list of evidence of Jimmy being a shitty CEO.

As for Petagna, I suppose we should be thankful that he recently left Oregon.

Apparently the recruiting assistant he took with him to Oregon just got poached by Avalos to be the director of recruiting for Boise. We? might start losing recruiting battles to G5 schools if Lake doesn't turn things around.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,445
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,184
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Pac 12 North Champs
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,945
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So Glen couldn’t figure out how to use excel and outlook reminders along with social media to create a “drip” style recruiting effort with individual players.

What a fucking idiot.

Lake, you’re dumb as fuck as well.

They could’ve plucked a single half intelligent student intern who would’ve easily had a sound, and easy to execute, strategy. Christ I would’ve done it for free and it would’ve been damn good and I’m half retarded.
  • Options

Seems like this could be what was the difference between UW having a fine class, borderline Top 20 class, and what it became. Being able to bring in JTT and/or Emeka with Huard was really what the class was all about and I just don't think this affected that - though I'm sure it didn't help. What it did seem to affect were those high/mid-four-star type guys they needed to fill out the class who they had been getting in recent cycles. Worse yet, most of those guys signed with Oregon.

The disorganized mess of the recruiting operation may have not had a direct impact on the JTT and EE recruitments but I'm sure the overall lack of buzz around recruiting and the underwhelming class was turned them off. If UW entered December with 10-12 4*s committed I think JTT and EE would have had a completely different perspective about UW. Recruiting is all about perception and sales.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,565
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021

Seems like this could be what was the difference between UW having a fine class, borderline Top 20 class, and what it became. Being able to bring in JTT and/or Emeka with Huard was really what the class was all about and I just don't think this affected that - though I'm sure it didn't help. What it did seem to affect were those high/mid-four-star type guys they needed to fill out the class who they had been getting in recent cycles. Worse yet, most of those guys signed with Oregon.

The disorganized mess of the recruiting operation may have not had a direct impact on the JTT and EE recruitments but I'm sure the overall lack of buzz around recruiting and the underwhelming class was turned them off. If UW entered December with 10-12 4*s committed I think JTT and EE would have had a completely different perspective about UW. Recruiting is all about perception and sales.
    I think this is right. Trying to make sense of JTT's supposed very serious with Oregon, I think them signing such a highly-rated class around him should he sign has to make a difference when explaining away why a team that lost to the Beav, got choked out by Cal, and got body slammed off the top rope by Iowa State is a national title contender in reasoning that they will be a better team when this Top 5 class is on the field while UW's 13-man low-rated class is a major question mark. My thing with that though is if either of those guys are the level of recruit they are projected to be the three classes signed ahead of them are probably more important to them than the class they sign in since those are the guys they will actually be playing with outside of any other player on their level that signs in their class, which I don't think any Pac-12 team other than USC with Foreman, signed this year.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    This makes sense though I guess if there was ever a class to have misses, it was 2021 since the roster was mostly full anyway. Polk helps the Emeka miss some but Martin doesn't really help the JTT miss.
  • Options
    HuskyJW said:

Pac 12 North Champs

We beat exactly one P12 North team...barely.