Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Front line real inflation story

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Work in Electrical Distribution/housing. Have been told next 90 days will get much worse before it gets better with product availability. Not enough ships or containers avail. to bring product over, orders 60-150% higher than normal, supply chain can't catch up, ships having to sit out at sea up to 14 days b/c of covid testing and back-ups at the Ports, and finally Chinese Companies declining PO's b/c they don't know when they can fulfill them and won't take chance of not b/c of contracts and substantial penalties for not having product here on time (50-100K per day).

These products are all across the board and are the most basic of materials needed to keep a job going. It would be the equal of a restaurant only having 10-20 dozen a day to start with and when their gone their gone. Additionally these prices are projected to go up by 20-25% by summer (think of a piece of bread that used to cost .15 each not costing 20 or go price a piece of lumber of sheetrock that has went from $7-$28 in a year at Home Depot)

Can also see it again at Supermarket where prices are again going up and/or mfg. to keep prices same are starting to again shrink amount in packaging and hope people don't notice.

Oil industry used to have a saying that the cure for high oil prices is high oil prices. Think there is a 40% chance this might be pin that bursts the building boom, but with all the cheap free money floating around there who knows.

I am just glad the Gov't has said inflation is only "running 1.6%" or else we could have a problem.

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    You would think longshoremen, FedEx and UPS drivers wouldn’t be so starved for hours
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    godawgst said:

Work in Electrical Distribution/housing. Have been told next 90 days will get much worse before it gets better with product availability. Not enough ships or containers avail. to bring product over, orders 60-150% higher than normal, supply chain can't catch up, ships having to sit out at sea up to 14 days b/c of covid testing and back-ups at the Ports, and finally Chinese Companies declining PO's b/c they don't know when they can fulfill them and won't take chance of not b/c of contracts and substantial penalties for not having product here on time (50-100K per day).

These products are all across the board and are the most basic of materials needed to keep a job going. It would be the equal of a restaurant only having 10-20 dozen a day to start with and when their gone their gone. Additionally these prices are projected to go up by 20-25% by summer (think of a piece of bread that used to cost .15 each not costing 20 or go price a piece of lumber of sheetrock that has went from $7-$28 in a year at Home Depot)

Can also see it again at Supermarket where prices are again going up and/or mfg. to keep prices same are starting to again shrink amount in packaging and hope people don't notice.

Oil industry used to have a saying that the cure for high oil prices is high oil prices. Think there is a 40% chance this might be pin that bursts the building boom, but with all the cheap free money floating around there who knows.

I am just glad the Gov't has said inflation is only "running 1.6%" or else we could have a problem.

Tell me more about this. Are you talkng materials like copper, etc. for wiring? Or electronics for housing like smart house stuff?

Also, isn't there a difference between scarcity-induced price increases and inflation? I ask this question in the most academically honest way. You've probably noticed, I tend to jump on all the inflation threads because I fear it.

Lumber is up and I'm pretty clear about that ... that's all domestic demand driving that one.
  • Options
    Bump. This is a real story.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited February 2021
    Yes it is. We have every single ship in use with most bobbing off the coasts filled with Backorders for nearly every industry playing a waiting game like we’ve never seen. Much of it has floating pricing!
    Fascinating.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    Inflation has a meaning and it isn't that hard to calculate. In Q4 2020 it was 1.7%. Soon, you'll have the number for Q1 2021.

You guys holler when it gets where it needs to be to fit your narrative now, won't you?

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

Tell me more about this. Are you talkng materials like copper, etc. for wiring? Or electronics for housing like smart house stuff?

Also, isn't there a difference between scarcity-induced price increases and inflation? I ask this question in the most academically honest way. You've probably noticed, I tend to jump on all the inflation threads because I fear it.

Lumber is up and I'm pretty clear about that ... that's all domestic demand driving that one.
    This is electrical products to build houses with. We are getting 5-10 vendors announcing price increases weekly. In the past it would have been 1 or 2. These are more concerning as they used to hold the line on the most commonly sold products (bread/eggs/milk) and raise prices on the specialty items. The ones we are seeing today is all items across the board 5% +/- which means they don't have a choice in the matter as their raw materials costs have exploded imo.

Good question on scarcity price increases and inflation, although once the prices are increased rarely if ever do they go down from my experience.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,083
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    godawgst said:

godawgst said:

This is electrical products to build houses with. We are getting 5-10 vendors announcing price increases weekly. In the past it would have been 1 or 2. These are more concerning as they used to hold the line on the most commonly sold products (bread/eggs/milk) and raise prices on the specialty items. The ones we are seeing today is all items across the board 5% +/- which means they don't have a choice in the matter as their raw materials costs have exploded imo.

Good question on scarcity price increases and inflation, although once the prices are increased rarely if ever do they go down from my experience.

The official calculation of inflation is so convoluted. Food and energy stripped out and crazy basket analysis, etc.

Practical inflation is real at the micro level in ways you don’t even think about it and not even caused by any sort of fiscal policy. Low priced easily replaceable goods taken off of shelves or made hard to find in favor of higher cost items that provide less growth in utility compared to the growth in price.

Inflation can be created just from the future threat of inflation, which I think is what we are kind of seeing now.

• Options
    Bob_C said:

godawgst said:

godawgst said:

The official calculation of inflation is so convoluted. Food and energy stripped out and crazy basket analysis, etc.

Practical inflation is real at the micro level in ways you don’t even think about it and not even caused by any sort of fiscal policy. Low priced easily replaceable goods taken off of shelves or made hard to find in favor of higher cost items that provide less growth in utility compared to the growth in price.

Inflation can be created just from the future threat of inflation, which I think is what we are kind of seeing now.

Interesting. It makes you think that all inflation conversations should start with, "what kind of inflation are we talking about?"
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,083
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Bob_C said:

godawgst said:

godawgst said:

Interesting. It makes you think that all inflation conversations should start with, "what kind of inflation are we talking about?"
    Yes.

B2B sales are strong as a segment right now. Lots of companies (non Main Street ones) got a bunch of free PPP money. Some are probably hoarding some of the cash, but many (mine included) are pumping that cash into inventory and other hard assets or nice to have capital investments before commodities begin to rise, which we expect.